How do I use redirector on the new blackberry desktop manager 6.
    07-27-10 12:51 PM
    Trying to figure that out myself...
    08-10-10 01:31 PM
    Tried to figure that out with the Beta version... had to finally revert back to 5.0.1. :-/
    08-10-10 02:49 PM
    me too. hope it is still a feature
    08-10-10 03:28 PM
    looks like it's gone. not even mentioned in the help. i'm going back to 5.
    08-11-10 11:43 AM
    Yeah I couldn't find any reference to redirector so have gone back to DM5

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    08-11-10 01:53 PM
    Help is in the ? in the upper right hand corner of the program right?

I havn't clicked on it, bu I assumed that was help.
    08-11-10 03:11 PM
    From Blackberry Website. Redirector not supported in 6. If you want it, go back to 5.0.1. Amazing, this is the whole reason I got the Blackberry. Makes me wonder what they are thinking.
    KB23906-Support for BlackBerry Desktop Redirector within BlackBerry Desktop Software 6.0
    08-12-10 11:20 AM
    From Blackberry Website. Redirector not supported in 6. If you want it, go back to 5.0.1. Amazing, this is the whole reason I got the Blackberry. Makes me wonder what they are thinking.
    KB23906-Support for BlackBerry Desktop Redirector within BlackBerry Desktop Software 6.0
    I've just come across this and was going to post exactly the same here. It's not ideal and redirector is my only reason for choosing BB over any other smartphone.

right now with my 9700 I have no issue really with using DM5, just so long as when i'm due a contract upgrade, OS 6 devices will still be compatible with DM 5.....
    08-12-10 11:52 AM
    WTH? How can the redirector be gone in this version? That is the main reason I have a BlackBerry as well!
    08-12-10 02:04 PM
    Does not bother me, my emails are POP anyways. All the more reason for IT to install BeSX at a minimum.
    08-12-10 02:20 PM
    Yea, all of my personal emails are fine, but the only way I can access my work stuff (since the BB is not supplied by work) is to use re-director. Without re-director, I do not have any real use for a smart phone, period. I mean its nice, I like to have one, but it will certainly be something I can cut from the budget.
    08-12-10 03:04 PM
    Serious question here. Why is the redirector so important to you?
    08-12-10 03:39 PM
    For me, its because I need access to my corporate email and when you have a strict limited amount of people that can use BES, everyone else has to go through the redirector. If I cant use the redirector I wont get access to my work email.
    08-12-10 03:42 PM
    For me, I use my personal BB to get my emails when I'm away from my desk. My position in the company does not require me to have one, even though I find it very useful.

I have asked for BESx to be installed in the business but the response was that with the amount of current users, the administration of 1 exception (me) is not viable.

The thing is also, I know that redirector isn't perfect or fantastic but it works and really doesn't need support, it just needs to continue to work in the new DM and OS exactly as it current does.

If anyone knows a realistic alternative I'd be happy to hear.

Last edited by stevejb; 08-12-10 at 04:16 PM.
    08-12-10 04:00 PM
    Ok, then your company servers are set up differently than mine. That's cool.

I was able to us the BIS to tap into my company SBS server (Windows Small Business) through Outlook OWA and not have to deal with the redirector at all. The problem with the redirector is if your pc in the office goes down for any reason, you are screwed, that's why I don't like it.

I guess if you have no other choice, you use it.

Thanks for the responses.
    08-12-10 04:17 PM
    Ok, then your company servers are set up differently than mine. That's cool.

I was able to us the BIS to tap into my company SBS server (Windows Small Business) through Outlook OWA and not have to deal with the redirector at all. The problem with the redirector is if your pc in the office goes down for any reason, you are screwed, that's why I don't like it.

I guess if you have no other choice, you use it.

Thanks for the responses.
    My company has an Outlook OWA but no matter how I try, I can't access via BIS. I think it's because I need to include domains as part of the login.

How does it work for you?

08-12-10 06:46 PM
    Looks like I am sticking with 5.0...... Oh well. I love to get my work emails on my BlackBerry but don't want to have the company control my BlackBerry

08-13-10 09:30 AM
    I'm in the same boat. Cannot access the company's BB enterprise server with BIS and not allowed an account on it (now that I know more I don't want it either as the policy locks down my BB and prevents it from being a smart-phone - i.e. no installing useful apps).

So desktop redirector is the only way to go.

My company has an Outlook OWA but no matter how I try, I can't access via BIS. I think it's because I need to include domains as part of the login.

How does it work for you?

08-16-10 07:41 AM
    I agree with all of you who say you need Redirector. My company does not allow middle-level managers and below to use the Enterprise Server so we all need to use Redirector. Dropping it from 6.0 seems an indicator that RIM will eventually drop support for Redirector altogether. Without it, I don't need a Blackberry, any other smartphone will do nicely. Worse, I had to move to 6.0 because 5.x would not allow me to connect with Bluetooth on my laptop (I spent 6 hours trying). Now, it looks like I have to drop Bluetooth in order to have Redirector. I am disappointed and a bit angry. I hope someone from RIM is paying attention to this. Maybe they don't see us Redirector users as sufficiently profitable and don't care if we leave when our contracts expire.
    08-16-10 01:35 PM
    That is stange. I have never had an issue connecting my BlackBerry using bluetooth on DM 5. I use it everyday.

08-17-10 08:16 AM
    My work does not pay for the BB. My wife is handicapped and I re-direct my email so I can be away from the office when I have to take her to Dr. appointments. It allows me to still be productive and minimize the impact of the time I have to be away from the office. Since I am the only one that drives, this includes kids Dr. appointments and other stuff that occurs in the day. So it adds up.

The rest of my usage is just personal emails, which is mostly some lists I am on. It is handy to be able to do location base searches and stuff while I am out, but it is not imperative that I have data access.

Its handy, and I like having it, but with my bills are getting tighter (cost of _everything_ going up, and pay stays the same) and I have to look at that $30 a month. Between wife and kids I have 5 lines and two BBs with a total of 4 data plans (2 BIS and 2 of the $10 plan). That is $80 a month that I can recover.

The big driver to get this phone was so that I could use re-director to stay productive when I am not in the office. If the long term plan from BB is to move away from that, then the BB looses value for me. At that point, any other data phone (Droid, iPhone, even something like a Envy Touch) can do what I use the BB for without re-director. The Envy Touch has a $10 plan. At a minimum I could go from $80/month ($960/year) to $40/month ($480/year). If I kick the kids off the data plan that moves down to $20/month ($240/year).
    08-18-10 06:07 PM
    Yeah I couldn't find any reference to redirector so have gone back to DM5

It's essential for me to have Redirector too so I've tried uninstalling DM6/BB Updater and after a restart installing DM5.0.1 but I still can't get Redirector.

Any suggestions on how you got it back. Maybe I've got the wrong version of DM5?

cheers
    08-21-10 07:06 PM
    I had the same issue. Looks like it has to do with the option you choose when the setup asks if you want personal or work email. Even if you're not hooking up to enterprise push email, choose "work" anyways. Then you'll have redirector.

It's essential for me to have Redirector too so I've tried uninstalling DM6/BB Updater and after a restart installing DM5.0.1 but I still can't get Redirector.

Any suggestions on how you got it back. Maybe I've got the wrong version of DM5?

cheers
    08-23-10 06:42 AM
    Thanks - I downgraded to DM4.7 to get the Redirector option. I'm a happy user again but I won't be going to DM6 if Redirector is not made available.
    08-31-10 12:53 AM
43 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD