I updated to Desktop Manager (DTM) 4.7. Everytime I start/run DTM 4.7, it does it's usual "check for application updates" and it "finds" the following update: "Blackberry 4.5.0 System Software" - which I am already running on my Curve (and have been for a while)!!

If I select cancel, the program runs and connects to my Curve and all works well - I can sync etc. If I select "update now", the update process runs with application loader, and then after a few seconds of running, I get the following message: "no software updates are required for your device". After this I can go to main menu and all works fine.

It's a little annoying quirk that occurs everytime DTM 4.7 is started and I am wondering why the program thinks there is an Blackberry OS update for my device. Any thoughts? Thanks.
    11-29-08 08:58 PM
    In one of your upgrades, you downloaded the BlackBerry updater. I did it without realizing it also. I'm still running DM 4.6. I doesn't hurt anything to click cancel when it offers to update and you know there aren't any. It's probably safe to uninstall the updater program from your pc. I just haven't yet.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    11-29-08 09:06 PM
    In one of your upgrades, you downloaded the BlackBerry updater. I did it without realizing it also. I'm still running DM 4.6. I doesn't hurt anything to click cancel when it offers to update and you know there aren't any. It's probably safe to uninstall the updater program from your pc. I just haven't yet.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    Thanks for the reply. I am not sure what you mean by the "updater program". Where would I find that? It doen't appear in my list of programs under control panel.
    11-29-08 09:19 PM
    It's pretty easy to modify your Desktop Manager to eliminate this updater. Go to Add/Remove programs and select Desktop Manager as if you are going to remove it. Go through each step until it gives you the option to "Modify," "Repair," or "Remove." Select "Modify." Then when you are given the options of what to install, choose not to allow updater to be available. Go through the rest of the process and you will not have that constant check for updates.

The other method would be to run the Desktop Manager installer program and start from the beginning of installation, choosing not to allow the updater to be available.

Hope this helps!
    Last edited by degilmo; 11-29-08 at 09:45 PM.
    11-29-08 09:23 PM
    I'd prefer to let the updater run - there should be a reason why it thinks there's an update. When in the program, if I navigate to "update software" I get an "updates to install" window that shows the following updates I can choose from:

Blackberry 4.5 (current) - Ver. 4.5.0.81
    Blackberry 4.5.0.108 for 8320 (current) - Ver. 4.5.0.81

Is this normal?
    Choosing either run will start an update process that runs for a few seconds and states that no updates are required.

Thanks again.
    11-29-08 09:42 PM
    The only other way around this is to uninstall the device software. That won't hurt anything, but if you ever want to re-install anything from the core OS you will have to reinstall it.
    11-29-08 09:46 PM
    The only other way around this is to uninstall the device software. That won't hurt anything, but if you ever want to re-install anything from the core OS you will have to reinstall it.
    OK - thanks.
    11-29-08 09:50 PM
    I'd prefer to let the updater run - there should be a reason why it thinks there's an update. When in the program, if I navigate to "update software" I get an "updates to install" window that shows the following updates I can choose from:

Blackberry 4.5 (current) - Ver. 4.5.0.81
    Blackberry 4.5.0.108 for 8320 (current) - Ver. 4.5.0.81

Is this normal?
    Choosing either run will start an update process that runs for a few seconds and states that no updates are required.

Thanks again.
    I get the same results. I'm using OS 4.2. There isn't a later version for the 8830, but the updater thinks there is. I don't know why. It doesn't hurt to just cancel the update.
    11-29-08 10:16 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD