When I use the USB port to plug my BB into my computer, it says there is an error and the USB device has malfunction and windows cannot recognize it. I have tried everything and cannot get it to work. I have never had a problem before and if I cannot connect, I cannot back up my BB.

HELP!
    09-26-09 08:31 PM
    WHat have you tried?

Have yoy done a battery reset of the device and rebooted the computer?
    09-26-09 08:41 PM
    Have you downloaded DM on you computer at all? Believe that contains the driver for your BB.
    09-26-09 09:22 PM
    I've had this problem as well . One minute it works and you can find and transfer files. Next time or a second minute later you hook up and can't find anything . I kept trying and unhooked for awhile re-booted with quickpull and even re-booted pc waited awhile and whala ! Shazaaam back in business not sure but try the quckpull and yes make sure driver has been installed to the pc your connecting to . Hope this helps!

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    09-26-09 09:31 PM
    I did a battery pull
    I rebooted computer
    I installed DM 5.0 from 4.7
    I searched for the drivers
    I used different USB ports
    I changed USB cables

The computer just wont recognize the BB when plugged in. I even plugged the BB into a different computer and got the same error message

Something happened to my blackberry USB port and I cant figure out what it is. It will still charge but nothing else. The only thing I could think happened was that it got pulled out of the USB cord one time without clicking to safely remove storage device on the computer.
    09-27-09 10:35 AM
    I have now seen 2 or 3 posts with the same issue....Does anybody know what is going on and why computers randomly stop recognizing the BB curve? I never had this problem with my old pearl. Does anybody have a fix short of bringing my phone back for a replacement which I dont want to do since I cant do a back up and save all my info first!
    09-27-09 10:01 PM
    Well the way USB works..theres 4 lines in it. 2 are data ( + and - ) as well as power (5V) and ground. I'm wondering if the data lines in the USB port on the phone die or if its an issue with the BB USB cable itself. Have you tried using a different Blackberry USB cable to verify it is indeed the phone causing the problem?
    09-27-09 10:05 PM
    I tried using 2 different USB cords to the same result. Thanks for trying. Anyone else?
    09-28-09 07:06 PM
    what version of windows are you running?
    09-29-09 06:28 AM
    Does this blackberry work ok when it is connected to other PCs?

Chances are this is some type of windows plug and play issue on the PC.
    09-29-09 06:57 AM
    I am running windows vista. IT has worked on this computer previously. I tried plugging the BB into my other computer and got the same error message that there was a problem with the usb device. It is something on the phone itself that has changed suddenly and caused this problem.
    09-29-09 10:06 AM
    Are both machines Vista....64 bit?

If you are sure the problem follows device it sounds like it must be a fault with the device itself. Are you able to test with another blackberry to see if it the PC will talk to any Blackberry?
    09-29-09 11:16 AM
    I'm having the exact same problems with 3 storms. did all the normal troubleshooting techniques, batt pull, cables, ports, it goes for like five seconds and then it's gone.
    09-30-09 04:57 AM
    I have the same problem. I hooked my friends curve to my computer using my cord and it recognized her phone. I am now waiting for a replacement to come in the mail.

I tried using 2 different USB cords to the same result. Thanks for trying. Anyone else?
    Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    10-06-09 11:32 PM
    YEs, my friends BB worked so there is a problem with the phone. The BIG problem is that I cant get a replacement phone until I can back up my BB but I cant back it up if I cant connect it!?!?!?!??!
    10-07-09 07:59 PM
    The Verizon guy told me I can take my old phone in with my new phone to a store and they can transfer all of my apps and such, so you don't have to worry about backing it up. I'll let you know when I actually receive the phone in the mail and take it to the store!
    10-11-09 11:48 PM
    YEs, my friends BB worked so there is a problem with the phone. The BIG problem is that I cant get a replacement phone until I can back up my BB but I cant back it up if I cant connect it!?!?!?!??!
    can you connect your phone via bluetooth to your pc? if you can, is it possible for you to browse the device from your pc? if so, there is always the possibility that you could create a folder and drag and drop data from your berry to your pc... also, have you attempted to contact RIM to see if they have a KBxxxxx article addressing your issue? that may simply be the best route for a workaround due to the fact that vzw will offer to transfer all your data for you to your new device, which of course is null for you due to a lack of connectivity. also, depending on the type of data that you're trying to retrieve from the device, you might consider forwarding important messages to another mail account you can access from your pc and as far as important numbers go, try inputting them into your pc the old fashioned and time-consuming way, manually. as for 3rd party apps etc, idk what to tell you unless some genius out there knows a method of storing such files on your sd card in your berry and then placing it in a stick reader to drag and drop to your pc. i know that as a mac user, i was forced to use this method of transferring music, pics etc to my device forever, it's slow and tedious, but if your stuff is this important that you can't just walk away from it, then i'd bet it's worth the time for you to give it a shot...

furthermore, in searching the RIM support site, i have discovered some potentially related info, you might find something helpful so read these first and i'll try to think of something else for you to try in the interim >>View Document

or in the process for reconfiguring pc to specific device parameters here>>View Document

also, you might check this out>>View Document
    10-12-09 12:38 AM
    The Verizon guy told me I can take my old phone in with my new phone to a store and they can transfer all of my apps and such, so you don't have to worry about backing it up. I'll let you know when I actually receive the phone in the mail and take it to the store!
    This is not true. I went through this with a Verizon rep who falsely told me the same thing and then when it came time to do it, I almost lost everything. The only thing they can transfer over for you is your contacts list. That's it, nothing else. I almost lost everything just moments before they scrapped my old phone.
    10-13-09 03:31 PM
    End result...got new phone today and lost a bunch of stuff. Sucks. Had to manually reload and bunch of apps, contacts, calendar entries. Not sure if I got everything but oh well....
    10-14-09 09:51 PM
    my 9930 will not get recognized by my computer. Ive tried 3 different cables, re installed the desktop sw and it just sits there and tells me its connecting, but never does.
    12-09-11 02:38 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD