Hello everyone,

I am new here, so please forgive me if I am asking a question that has already been asked.

Here's my problem:
    When trying to update my software yesterday, my phone crashed. I took it into the Verizon store and they gave me a replacement. Before I left, they tried to transfer the contacts over to the new phone. Unfortunately it would not work. Luckily, I remembered to backup the contacts before I initially tried to upgrade.

So now when I try to restore the contacts, it says that "dimmed entries are read-only databases and cannot be restored". I tried to find a solution on the BlackBerry site, which kept telling me to delete the "Desktop [SYNC]" service book. One problem- I don't have that service book.

If anyone has any solutions, please let me know!

More info:
    Blackberry Storm 9530
    Blackberry Desktop Manager for Mac

Thank you!
    10-27-09 11:42 PM
    Any solutions?

Much appreciated!
    11-02-09 07:06 PM
    I had a similar problem.

If you recently created a gmail account on your blackberry, Google took the liberty of uploading your contacts to your gmail account. Your storm now is supposed to be reading those contacts from your gmail account, but is not.

One solution is to download the google sync application.

Search Google Sync and you'll find it.

Before downloading... on your phone, under the options section in your contacts, your gmail contact list should be there. Click it and make sure the wireless synchronization is set to yes. I'd also recommend under general options (should be above gmail contact list), set actions to no duplicates because gmail's sync failed for me the first time adding many duplicates. If you forget to do all this, Google Sync should walk you through it anyway.

Download Google Sync, install, log in with your gmail account, upload and sync contacts to your phone. Pretty snappy. (I also recommend exporting your contact list through gmail to your cpu just for keepsakes.... because you never know if your Blackberry Desktop Manager copies will go bonkers......)

Good luck, I hope this helps you or someone out there. Such a headache...
    05-02-10 02:23 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD