Please help me, I'm new to BB. I have downloaded DM onto my PC (version 5.01) and am trying to connect my 8220 to it. When the DM opens up, it immediately greys out. I can see thru the grey that my phone is connected...the DM knows it is there, but because it is greyed out, I can't select an action and nothing works. Both the computer and the DM acknowledge that the phone is connected. What am I doing wrong? Do I need a different version of the DM?

Thanks in advance for any help!
    12-18-09 08:49 PM
    dm always greys out for a bit when you're opening the software and connecting the phone, or if you're leaving, say, roxio media manager to return to dm. sometimes it takes longer than other times to come back, and if you're on an older computer, it can take minutes at times.

if it doesn't become active again after five minutes, there's probably a problem. try restarting your computer to see if that helps. if not, uninstall dm and try to reinstall 5.01 or maybe even an older version to see if it gives you the same problems.

to add: if you could, please post up a little info about your computer (os, ram, etc etc). that could help narrow down whatever issue you may be having.
    12-19-09 01:46 PM
    Thanks for the info...I am running HP laptop - XP SP3, 2 gigs ram, AMD Athlon 64 processor 3500+ 2.19 GHz. I did wait a long time (it seemed) and it stayed grey. I installed an older version of the DM and it does the same thing. I went to Rogers today to see if they might know something. The rep said that the device software is too old for the DM to do anything with. Makes sense. So now I'm trying to update that...and running into the proverbial brick wall. I'm going to keep trying to troubleshoot, but any help at all would be greatly appreciated.

I am simply trying to back the thing up, it has all my BBM contacts. Everything else I have backed up on a Mac and on media card. I got an 8900 as a gift and and just want to swap out the sim already.....but I don't want to lose the BBM contacts and the apps I have loaded (although I kept all the email links for those as well. I'll be forever indebted to anyone who can help me.
    12-19-09 08:50 PM
    Hey all...I have since given up on the 8220. I figured out how to backup BBM contacts on the media card and am now sorting out the apps. I didn't have that many so it won't be that hard. I transferred the sim and media card to my new 8900 and things are working well. I will attemp to link it to the DM later on today, it will probably be okay cuz it is newer and up to date. My thanks to all who read this and answered.
    12-20-09 03:19 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD