i installed the blackberry desktop software from the website . when i tried to initialize it for the first time i got a prompt which asked me to input the device password

now i'm assuming the device password is the same pwd that i use to unlock me device (and its the same pwd that i have to input every time i hook up my blackberry to my laptop)

so i'm entering that very same password but its giving me an incorrect pwd notification.

is there some other pwd that i'm supposed to configure on this ?

pls help
    03-27-10 02:29 PM
    Your assumption is correct. Desktop Manager requires the same password you use to unlock your device, and getting it wrong 10 times will have the same consequence of wiping your personal data, so proceed carefully. What often happens is users enter their password with shift or alt on and don't realize it, since the password input is masked. For example, you may think you are entering wert when you are actually entering 123(. Try the alt and shift versions of your password and see if either work.
    03-27-10 02:47 PM
    hmmmm

yeah i checked that too.. i mean the pwd for my blackberry is 4744 ...

and when i'm typing it on my laptop i'm sure i'm typing it 4744 ( i mean on a laptop keyboard one doesnt need to worry about shift .. only CAP should be looked at)

still no go
    03-27-10 03:06 PM
    Did you try szss and SZSS in Desktop Manager?
    03-27-10 03:19 PM
    Thanks a ton ! Jeff

i just tried your latest suggestion and it worked !!!!!!

thank u!
    03-27-10 03:57 PM
    Now you know what your password on your BlackBerry really is. I'm glad you asked while you still had tries left. Too many people wait until they only have one try left to ask. Then it's usually too late.
    03-27-10 03:59 PM
    oh by the way, Jeff.. do u know where i can see all my "folders/mail accounts" ?

on my main screen I see the "All messages folder/mailbox" .. it basically contains all my incoming sms/office outlook/ & gmail stuff.. i have a separate folder for sms and for gmail but cant seem to locate the folder for my office outlook.

where can i find it ?

someone told me to go to the main screen, hit the BB button , and select "show all folders".. but i dont see that option
    03-27-10 04:00 PM
    If you are a BES user, Outlook won't have a separate folder. It uses the Messages Folder. All your BIS emails can have separate folders, and you can choose whether to have a separate SMS folder, but BES uses the Messages Folder and nothing else. That may be changing in newer versions of BES, or in OS5.0, but it hasn't changed for me yet. There is at least one 3rd party BES inbox app called Empower. I haven't used it.
    03-27-10 04:04 PM
    thanks.

i just bought my BB a month ago. so i guess it must be running version 5.

anyways, do u know of a way on how i can edit /modify email and phonebook entries ?

i mean i had a nokia before and with the desktop software that they provided i could login into the application and make changes on my PC and then it would automatically sync in my phone...that was way cool and time efficient..

however, i dont see any such application in BB.

someone told me that the only way i have is to sync up my outlook ? (but that only takes care of my official email ids - not my personal numbers)

Also, could u give me the steps involved in how i can sync up my outlook contact and email ids on to my blackberry ?

thanks , again
    03-27-10 04:11 PM
    RIM doesn't provide a desktop PIM, like Nokia and Palm do. Instead, they assume you'll use Outlook.

Are you a BES user? If so, your work calendar, tasks, memos, email, and contacts should be sync'd automatically. If you are not a BES user, email will sync over the air, but everything else will have to be synched using Desktop Manager. The default settings in Desktop Manager should work fine. Just connect your BlackBerry to the PC that Outlook is running on.
    03-27-10 04:18 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD