I got a Tour 9630 about a week/10 days ago, and finally got around to *trying* to install the "BlackBerry Users Tools" CD on my PC...

First, let me say my Tour 9630 is labeled "Made In Mexico" with no production date...and the CD says 2006 Research In Motion...

I have 4 - 6 PCs running/assembled at any one time; Win2000 SP4 is my O/S of choice, but I've owned & tested every MS O/S since Win95 OSR2...Up to & including Windows 7...

So I decided to install the BB Desktop manager on my Win2000 SP4 PC...and got the error msg that Windows 6.0 Parser and Windows .NET Framework 2.0 SP1 were required...installation aborted...

So I hunted these two up on the Web, and found i needed Windows Installer to install them (another download), and Windows .NET Framework 2.0 to install the SP1 over...more downloads...

I have a dial-up connection...No broadband here in the boonies...(Heh - Verizon phone service)...Took about 4 hours to download these 4 files...Then, when I saw the date on the CD, I went to the BlackBerry site to get the latest version of the BB User Tools .exe, I saw it was 258MB...About 26 hours to download, but no direct link...and this Verizon dial-up has frequent dropped connections...

So I got the bright idea to go to the Verizon Wireless Zone store where I bought the tour, and they very kindly downloaded & burned the latest BB User Tools .exe to a CD for me...Another hour+ killed...

Got everything all together, got the .NET Framework installed, loaded the BB CD, and got the error msg "Win XP or later is required for this software"...

So I dug out my old Win XP PC with SP3 installed, installed the .NET Framework (because the CD said it wasn't installed) and now it is installed and I am...underwhelmed...

I expected an Explorer-like interface; instead it is a very non-intuitive 5-icon screen with no instructions or even hints...

All I really want to do is transfer pictures, music, and maybe an app or two...I can't even find the pics I *know* are on my Tour because I emailed them to myself and saved them...

And to top it off, the Tour accepted the incorrect time off the PC and I had to reset it...

A complete Sunday wasted...

SO...Anyone know of a better way or app to swap files back & forth from a PC to a Tour 9630???

(BTW: I prefer Classic Windows, and since Windows 7 doesn't have it, I won't be upgrading past Win XP...)
    Last edited by ferretface; 12-27-09 at 08:23 PM.
    12-27-09 08:20 PM
    Yep- use drag and drop from the SD card in your device. Just enable mass storage mode in the device and you can see the sd card from the computer.

Guess you found out the hard way that the BBDM is not compatible with windows 2000. I think 2000 went out with BBDM version 4.2.
    12-27-09 08:26 PM
    Yep- use drag and drop from the SD card in your device. Just enable mass storage mode in the device and you can see the sd card from the computer.

Guess you found out the hard way that the BBDM is not compatible with windows 2000. I think 2000 went out with BBDM version 4.2.
    Thanks for your response! Where do I find that "Mass Storage Mode"???

I wouldn't mind having BBDM 4.2...I have a pile of HDDs here and one of them has another install of Win XP SP3, but I really prefer Win2000 - only this PC is connected to the Internet...(No "Windows Activation" on the others)...

Any archive where I might find BBDM 4.2???
    12-27-09 08:34 PM
    options>memory>mass storage mode on.
    12-27-09 08:38 PM
    If you need help enabling Mass Storage Mode:

Options / Memory
    Media Card Support: On
    Encryption Mode: your choice
    Media Transfer Protocol: On
    Mass Storage Mode Support: On
    Auto Enable Mass Storage Mode When Connected: Prompt

Plug the BlackBerry into a USB port, answer Yes to the prompt, and the BlackBerry Media card will show up as a disk drive in My Computer. Then you can drag and drop.
    12-27-09 08:40 PM
    JeffH, flashman03, and lastraid - I thank you!!!

That's much better!!! Mass Storage Mode, I mean!

I did find BBDM 4.2 on the BlackBerry site; I'll try that on my other Win2000 PC...It's only 12+MB, and a .msi install...

Thanks again!!!
    Last edited by ferretface; 12-27-09 at 09:06 PM.
    12-27-09 08:57 PM
    I was able to connect my BB Tour to my Win2000 PC (as well as my Win XP machine) and transfer files (MP3, JPG).

The only drawback is the Win2000 (which does recognize my Kingston USB thumbdrive) will connect and accept transfer files, but does not recognize the BlackBerry as a mass storage device until I answer "yes" to the BB prompt...but Win2000 does not give me the taskbar icon to "break connection"...I have to just yank the cable, and get an error msg...but the transfer is OK...

I'm wondering if the "BlackBerry USB and Modem Drivers" file will give me a driver that Win2000 will recognize the BlackBerry as a mass storage device???
    12-29-09 06:54 AM
    Glad it got figured out. Only option left is to upgrade to a newer computer OS lol. DM 5.0 works great.
    12-29-09 10:57 AM

(BTW: I prefer Classic Windows, and since Windows 7 doesn't have it, I won't be upgrading past Win XP...)
    You might not have a choice much longer due to the fact that software companies are mostly focusing on xp and windows 7. Even some hardware now is requiring xp or greater and only runs in xp vista or win 7 environments...
    12-29-09 11:17 AM
    ...Win2000 (which does recognize my Kingston USB thumbdrive) will connect and accept transfer files, but does not recognize the BlackBerry as a mass storage device until I answer "yes" to the BB prompt...
    You're getting that prompt because you followed my instructions. You can change the default behavior in "Auto Enable Mass Storage Mode When Connected" from "Prompt" to "Yes."
    12-29-09 11:46 AM
    You're getting that prompt because you followed my instructions. You can change the default behavior in "Auto Enable Mass Storage Mode When Connected" from "Prompt" to "Yes."
    JeffH - I tried it both ways. Either way, I don't get the "disconnect icon" in the taskbar that allows me to remove the device without getting the error msg. I *do* get the disconnect icon with my Kingston thumbdrive, and my CoolGear USB-to-IDE external hard drive.

I do get a msg when plugging the BlackBerry into the USB port. It asks to search for drivers for it.

The "BlackBerry USB and Modem Drivers" file is an .MSI file...I was hoping for a .ZIP or .EXE file containing the BlackBerry drivers...
    12-29-09 12:40 PM
    I'm sorry, I've never tried to use a BlackBerry with Win2k. I don't know if the drivers disk would help.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    12-29-09 05:46 PM
    I'm sorry, I've never tried to use a BlackBerry with Win2k. I don't know if the drivers disk would help.
    No, it didn't. There is a msg - "This will only work with Win XP"...

But the BBDM 4.2 Desktop Manager did work...It installed and gave me the taskbar icon to "Unplug Or Eject Hardware" icon, and the BlackBerry shows up. I can unplug it without getting the error msg now.

...But it still launches the Add Hardware Wizard and asks for the driver whenever I plug it in...

Well, that's a 50% victory...

No icon for the BBDM 4.2 though...and I have no idea how to use it either...
    12-29-09 06:37 PM
    You should have been prompted to create an icon on the desktop when you installed DM 4.2. At least, newer versions prompt you. I've never used a version that old.

The Desktop Manager is a the interface between the BlackBerry and your Desktop PIM. You use it to control the sync of fields between the BlackBerry and Outlook, for example. It's not a PIM itself, and you can't use it to enter information directly into the BlackBerry. BlackBerry devices sync with Outlook by default, but you can use other PIMs.
    12-29-09 09:53 PM
    Well, I took the easy way out and installed Win XP SP3 on an unused 20GB HDD with a 80GB slave drive. Over 2GB just for the O/S install, *without* a swap file. With it, it's 2.61GB...

I hate bloatware...

Anyway, BBDM 5.0 off the Install CD worked out OK. I expect I'll use loader.exe to do my O/S swaps. My 8820 came with a 4.2 O/S; I have the latest 4.5 for it so I can use a MicroSD card over 4GB...

...And I'll wait for the 5.0 upgrade from BB for my Tour...
    01-03-10 05:10 PM
    Glad you got it working. Sorry it took so long.
    01-03-10 05:49 PM
    Glad you got it working. Sorry it took so long.
    Well, it's inevitable, I suppose...

Thanks for all the help!
    01-03-10 06:04 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD