Helllo!

I have the Tetherberry free trial and really loved using it during a recent trip and am considering buying the full blown version on sale. However, a buddy just told me that he saw that the next BB Desktop Mgr will offer free tethering. Is this true?
    10-30-09 07:11 PM
    DM 5.0.1 has the tethering option there but when you try to connect, you get an error.. so i dont know about that ..

i see you on verizon though, isnt tethering available for verizon subscribers??
    10-30-09 07:23 PM
    DM 5.0.1 has the tethering option there but when you try to connect, you get an error.. so i dont know about that ..

i see you on verizon though, isnt tethering available for verizon subscribers??
    Yes it is, but I believe they charge an arm and a leg
    10-30-09 07:34 PM
    Anyone know if the tethering will work properly on sprint?

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    10-30-09 08:02 PM
    i tried persistently but to no avail....
    10-30-09 08:29 PM
    Tethering didn't work for me, either. TetherBerry, on the other hand works very nicely.
    10-30-09 08:48 PM
    Yes it is, but I believe they charge an arm and a leg
    15 to 30 bucks.

10-31-09 12:43 AM
    15 to 30 bucks.

30 bucks a month with the Broadband Connect plan with eligible phone, where as tetherberry is a one time fee.

10-31-09 08:01 AM
    When I did the upgrade I saw something about it. Then when I opened the DM next time , the option was gone. Did I try it? No I have use for this feature.
    10-31-09 09:28 AM
    Hello,

So no one can utilize the tethering from Desktop Mgr? That sucks!
    Hmm a buddy of mine told me that if you tether and you are not using the Verizon software that you can be fined and have your service cut off. I do not believe this, since people have been using Tetherberry for awhile now and no reported incidences of being charged a fine.

Any info on this?
    10-31-09 03:29 PM
    Unless you go over the 5GB per month nothing out of the ordinary will happen. If of course you start going over the 5gb then they still start digging a little deeper. Not to say VZW hasn't been working on a way to block Tetherberry so that it wont work...
    10-31-09 03:46 PM
    again, I'm curious as to how the company would know you're tethering without you telling them. Besides going over the 5GB, that is. And even then, it's just "presumed" that you're tethering because of the large amounts of data.

AFAIK all a tether does is take the data that's going into your phone and run it into your computer. How could your carrier even know that's happening?
    10-31-09 05:59 PM
    again, I'm curious as to how the company would know you're tethering without you telling them. Besides going over the 5GB, that is. And even then, it's just "presumed" that you're tethering because of the large amounts of data.

AFAIK all a tether does is take the data that's going into your phone and run it into your computer. How could your carrier even know that's happening?
    It probably depends on how the data is used. I would guess that email and browsing use quick, short gulps of data. Maybe the "radio" programs use it more and continuously. But with tethering, it probably is much more consistent, long downloads of data. Clearly, keeping it limited might make it hard to tell. They may also be like your isp, and might be able to tell what programs are using the data?? I imagine if you ease into using more and more data consistently, that might throw them off the scent as opposed to suddenly doing hours of continuous data.

Someone here can probably explain in detail how they can determine it, if they can.

PS - there was another thread about someone using the new DM for tethering and that the DM recognized it was a Verizon BB and removed the option.
    Last edited by F2; 10-31-09 at 07:16 PM.
    10-31-09 07:13 PM
    Tethering is $30 for BIS and $15 for BES. Carriers can tell that you are tethering based on browser identification and other various things...
    10-31-09 10:32 PM
    ok what are the other various things?

And suppose you had your browser identify itself as something else? Does the browser send its identification with each data request or only if the serving site requests it? I don't know how that works.
    11-01-09 02:58 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD