I just bought a Blackberry for the first time and haven't even opened the box yet. Can my BB Curve be used without the Desktop Manager Software? Can I download apps and update the OS without using a computer?
    The reason I ask is because for more than 10 years I have been using only Linux. I can install Windows XP and dual boot if I absolutely have to but I prefer not to use Windows at all.
    Thanks for any answers.
    04-30-10 11:47 PM
    It conceivably can, but you wouldn't be able to back up your information. OS updates can be done through AppLoader.exe, but there's no way to backup (that I'm aware of off the top of my head) without Desktop Manager. Hopefully someone will correct me if I'm wrong on that.
    04-30-10 11:49 PM
    I could be wrong but can't bbsak back everything up for you? Actually, I probably am wrong lol

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    04-30-10 11:55 PM
    And I think Barry will do backups and more.
    Edit:
    Barry is an Open Source Linux application that will allow synchronization, backup, restore and program management for BlackBerry devices.
    So, you can't upgrade the OS or reinstall, but you could probably find a means when needed.
    05-01-10 12:00 AM
    I don't use desktop manager for anything but backing up my phone. @a_silent_song I think that's the only way as well

05-01-10 04:36 AM
    BBSAK does NOT back up device data. It backs up 3rd party apps.

The only reason you may need Desktop Manager is to make a backup of your device data. i don't have a PC so i just make a backup whenever i get to a PC and keep it on my memory card.

You can download apps, upgrade OS, wipe the device, sync using Google Sync and many other functions on the BlackBerry itself.

05-01-10 12:53 PM
    All of you seem to be overlooking the OBVIOUS. How can ANYONE buy a new BB (especially for the first time) and not even rip open the box as soon as they get home? LOL!! C'mon, man, crack that baby open.

Seriously though, I just find using DM so much easier and faster and I like having my backup data close at hand, not in the clouds (in some cases, I have both and that's even better).

Ok, that being said, I noticed that VZW has pushed it's "Backup Assistant" onto my phone, but like all those other pushes, it's been relegated to my junk folder, so I'm not familiar with it. Can anyone enlighten me about if it backs up everything and to where?
    05-01-10 01:11 PM
    i had the same question. http://forums.crackberry.com/f71/wha...ack-up-456458/. Seems BUA doesn't restore all contact info. But all data is backed up to the server. If others have used BUA to do a restore on their BlackBerry i'd love to hear their experience!

05-01-10 01:39 PM
    All of you seem to be overlooking the OBVIOUS. How can ANYONE buy a new BB (especially for the first time) and not even rip open the box as soon as they get home? LOL!! C'mon, man, crack that baby open.
    Who waits til they get home? I would do it right there at the counter
    05-01-10 01:51 PM
    LOL!! NOW yer talkin' !

Who waits til they get home? I would do it right there at the counter
    05-01-10 02:26 PM
    This issue raises the obvious question: why isn't there any 3rd party application to back EVERYTHING up to your SD card? Wouldn't that be wonderful? I had Treos for 10 years and I used NV Backup daily! It was a lifesaver! Love my 9700 madly, but I do miss that functionality!
    05-02-10 09:11 AM

Seriously though, I just find using DM so much easier and faster and I like having my backup data close at hand, not in the clouds (in some cases, I have both and that's even better).

Ok, that being said, I noticed that VZW has pushed it's "Backup Assistant" onto my phone, but like all those other pushes, it's been relegated to my junk folder, so I'm not familiar with it. Can anyone enlighten me about if it backs up everything and to where?
    They opened mine in the store and it hasn't seen the inside of a box again .
    I like the DM but I have windows xp pro so no problem installing on computer.As far as vzw backup I used it even if not official released for my fone have done a backup to it and a restore from it it works good to.
    I don't leave vzw backup app. on fone once backups made I delete the app and just reinstall when I need it keeping me from having to reenter phone numbers and stuff .

Last edited by DavidNC; 05-02-10 at 12:21 PM.
    05-02-10 12:16 PM
    I agree about XP Pro (and Home, too) and backing up, it really does make it easier. I have all of my contacts and calendar on Outlook, so I really do not worry about that information, it's easy enough to restore doing a simple synch. I use DM to do 3rd party app backups too. Finally, I also have Smart Guard, which does back up via remote storage, so I'm feelin' pretty secure in the backup department with little hassle. SG does it automatically every day and of course, every couple of days I synch to keep my calendar updated on both my computer and phone. This routine of course, may not work for everyone, depending on the computer and OS you use, but for those that have it, it's been problem free for me for years.

They opened mine in the store and it hasn't seen the inside of a box again .
    I like the DM but I have windows xp pro so no problem installing on computer.As far as vzw backup I used it even if not official released for my fone have done a backup to it and a restore from it it works good to.
    I don't leave vzw backup app. on fone once backups made I delete the app and just reinstall when I need it keeping me from having to reenter phone numbers and stuff .

05-02-10 12:47 PM
    desktop manager you can backup your data if you need to restore your BB it will do that as well besides the new OS upgrades It is a good idea to have the desktop manager your choice though
    05-02-10 10:44 PM
    Can't you try to Wine DM? I used to Wine lots of Windows stuff back then... good Linux days
    05-02-10 11:45 PM
    Thanks for all the replies. It's nice to know I can use my Blackberry without the Windows software.
    As for why I haven't opened the box yet, well, I bought my Blackberry online on sale from Best Buy and I've missed the UPS truck 2 days in a row because I was at work.
    Tonight at work I pretended to be sick with an upset stomach so I have an excuse to call out sick tomorrow.
    First time I've called out sick in over 6 years and it's just to make sure I'm home all day waiting for the UPS truck with my Blackberry!
    05-03-10 11:38 PM
    The barry libs allow you to charge the device when running linux. I used a work (Windows) PC to do backups and OS upgrades.
    05-04-10 03:05 AM
    Thanks for all the replies. It's nice to know I can use my Blackberry without the Windows software.
    As for why I haven't opened the box yet, well, I bought my Blackberry online on sale from Best Buy and I've missed the UPS truck 2 days in a row because I was at work.
    Tonight at work I pretended to be sick with an upset stomach so I have an excuse to call out sick tomorrow.
    First time I've called out sick in over 6 years and it's just to make sure I'm home all day waiting for the UPS truck with my Blackberry!
    We all can undertand that.
    05-04-10 08:47 AM
    SHAME ON YOU! 6 years I'm not a doctor but it sounds like you are going through at least a 5 day illness. no need to draw the blinds since you don't do windows Get to know your new BB
    05-06-10 05:48 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD