All right...first post, BB noob. Coming over from 10 years of Palm/Handspring products. And I'm a Mac guy, who covets an iPhone, but won't deal with the dropout network. So I went with the Tour @ Verizon.

So after the endless research, and since I'm on a Mac, I got all my Palm contacts and calendars into Google and used Google Sync to get them into the Tour. No problems. Got all of my Palm memos into Yahoo, since Google doesn't have a notepad feature...just need to find a way to get them into the Tour.

So my question is, what would I benefit from installing DM on my wife's PC laptop? Do I need it?
    07-28-09 07:54 AM
    absolutely, with desktop manager you can keep both your Tour and your computer updated when you add new phone numbers or appointments in the calendar. If for some reason you need to acquire a new blackberry, all you have to do is hook both phones up to your computer and use the device switch wizard that comes with DM. This will import all of your settings, numbers, BBM contacts to your new phone. Additionally, BBM is really easy to use, why not take advantage of it?
    07-28-09 08:09 AM
    Y-E-S!! lol since you are a mac user just go to blackberry's site & download pocket mac...wouldn't want to lose pertinent data you have on the berry...never know when things may go wrong
    07-28-09 08:13 AM
    Yes, I agree with the two above. You do need it and it will become invaluable when you have to wipe and reload the device, back it up, synch it, and load programs that you download. This is because not all programs, games, and themes for BlackBerries are developed to be OTA (over the air) installations and you will have to hook up the device to your desktop in order to load them.
    07-28-09 08:40 AM
    You can't do backups nor upgrade your OS with Mac, yet. DM for Mac is scheduled to come out sometime in September.
    07-28-09 09:02 AM
    thank you all. Yes, I read that Pocket Mac was crap by too many people, so that's why I went with the Google Sync method. And when I update my calendar or add a phone number to my contacts, it syncs with Google, so I wouldn't need DM for that.

Programs, games and themes...that's another story. So now I might hijack the wife's PC laptop. I hate windoze!!! ;-)
    07-28-09 03:29 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD