Is the error for syncing only or also backing up device data?

I never sync my BlackBerry but I back it up every week.
    02-15-12 02:36 PM
    Backing up is ok. Sync with Outlook does not do anything and the programme gets stuck in the end on preparing sync preview or whatever. Never mind, I have found 6.1 in my bin and am installing it.
    02-15-12 02:40 PM
    Still have my DM 6.1... uninstalling 7.43. I can wait for a working version.
    02-15-12 03:47 PM
    should have seen the thread before i did the upgrade. when i tried this with the leaked version, i had the sync issue and so i rolled back to the previous version (6.x). when i saw the official upgrade, i thought this issue would have been fixed...but i guess there is a reason why the stock is where it is for RIMM. they have a great product (i love my 9810), but their marketing, product implementation suck so bad, no wonder people/companies/agencies are jumping ship one by one! i mean when are they going to learn? don't get your hopes up about the PB 2.0 or the BB 10 phones people!
    02-15-12 04:17 PM
    I have to say that this experience has left me rather unimpressed. How can they release an update that simply and utterly does NOT work?
    02-15-12 04:30 PM
    That's it for me! After the last desktop upgrade I wasted hours to get all my settings back, delete dozens of duplicated calendar appointments and after missing a critical appointment realize I had to recover several more that were simply deleted. I assumed that I had done something wrong during the install. But this time after upgrading to the 7.0 version the syncing issue has given me a 136 gram paperweight. C'mon RIM it's no wonder you're losing market share. When my Verizon contract is up I'm going to an iPhone. Bye bye RIM.
    Last edited by dwightball; 02-15-12 at 04:54 PM.
    02-15-12 04:52 PM
    That's it for me! After the last desktop upgrade I wasted hours to get all my settings back, delete dozens of duplicated calendar appointments and after missing a critical appointment realize I had to recover several more that were simply deleted. I assumed that I had done something wrong during the install. But this time after upgrading to the 7.0 version the syncing issue has given me a 136 gram paperweight. C'mon RIM it's no wonder you're losing market share. When my Verizon contract is up I'm going to an iPhone. Bye bye RIM.
    Have fun! Thats why you should back up your device prior to updating DM. That way if you have issues... you simply downgrade DM then restore form backup.

The new DM had me scratching my head and created problems like you... but I fixed it simply by the step above.
    02-15-12 05:18 PM
    The sad part is - who authorized this release with such an obvious issue? Whoever released it should be held accountable. This is indeed part of the reason many people in the US hold RIM in such low esteem...incomplete product release.

It is easy enought to fix with a downgrade, but you shouldn't have to do this.
    jamesbondOO7 likes this.
    02-15-12 05:48 PM
    The sad part is - who authorized this release with such an obvious issue? Whoever released it should be held accountable. This is indeed part of the reason many people in the US hold RIM in such low esteem...incomplete product release.

It is easy enought to fix with a downgrade, but you shouldn't have to do this.
    I have to agree with this. This is what frustrates BlackBerry users. Just release non buggy updates.

They didn't have to release this and that they did with these errors is severely disappointing.
    02-15-12 06:03 PM
    I tried to upgrade through the prompt when I opened up the desktop manager on my pc. The upgrade went fine, no error messages. I connected my 9930 and it wanted to set up my sync preferences. I did this and it stared to read the phone, no issues, but then it got stuck in preparing sync preview list. It wouldn't cancel, so after a while I pulled the sync cable. Nothing happened to my BB, it was just the same as before. I tried closing and opening the software and the pc, too. Nothing helped, still got stuck in the same spot. I tried re installing from BB's page and doing a repair and then a complete reinstall, no change. Finally I gave up and downloaded an older version from softonic and it's been syncing with no issues. Hope they figure this out soon.
    Taipuma and jamesbondOO7 like this.
    02-15-12 06:14 PM
    Hi All! I've mentioned this on other threads--the fear that is of updating any software with BB. I have a 9810 that runs perfectly with zero issues on the 7.0-1355 version of device software and the 6.1 DM. I elected to not upgrade to the 7.0-2404 or the 7.1.xxx versions due to the amount of issues that have not been addressed or band aid'd to make them work. Like someone who's very knowledgable and a developer I respect on here said, 'don't change if everything is working fine'! Once these issues have been addressed then I'll upgrade but until then, I'm just happy that everything syncs correctly and backs up/restores correctly! Good luck to everyone.
    02-15-12 06:24 PM
    I have to agree with this. This is what frustrates BlackBerry users. Just release non buggy updates.

They didn't have to release this and that they did with these errors is severely disappointing.
    Normally I would be on the other side of the fence, telling everyone that this isn't RIM's fault, that it's just a simple mistake. Now I'm finding a crack in that armour is stating to show. This is exactly the sort of thing that gives those that are contemplating another platform to finally make the leap and leave RIM.

I know first hand that sometimes a software gets released with a few problems in it, but those problems are generally acknowledged and fixed by the developer within hours. So far I haven't seen any acknowledgement from RIM that they are sorry for the problems that are in this release and an assurance that a fix is on the way. Thorsten Heins jumped up to phone Kevin when he took over, indicating that he and others from RIM must be reading this site if they consider it the premier BB site, then why not appoint an official representative from RIM who would be able to post a thread acknowledging they are aware of the problem. I bet if they did that, the complaining would come to an end pretty darn quick.

I'm still very happy with my 9860 and my PlayBook, very much looking forward to 2.0 for the PlayBook, but if this problem is starting to crack my armour, just think what it must be doing to somebody who is much further down the line and considering a different platform.

Come on Thorsten, get somebody to this forum that is able to create a locked thread, or at least get a message to Kevin who can post a locked thread letting users know that RIM is aware of the problems and will have a fix out shortly!

Mike
    Last edited by Mike_Luchia; 02-15-12 at 06:36 PM. Reason: spelling
    02-15-12 06:35 PM
    To quote George Washington from the movie "1776" when he sent request after unanswered request to the Continental Congress, (this is for RIM) "Is anybody there? Does anybody care?"
    BUSPBP likes this.
    02-15-12 06:44 PM
    Normally I would be on the other side of the fence, telling everyone that this isn't RIM's fault, that it's just a simple mistake. Now I'm finding a crack in that armour is stating to show. This is exactly the sort of thing that gives those that are contemplating another platform to finally make the leap and leave RIM.

I know first hand that sometimes a software gets released with a few problems in it, but those problems are generally acknowledged and fixed by the developer within hours. So far I haven't seen any acknowledgement from RIM that they are sorry for the problems that are in this release and an assurance that a fix is on the way. Thorsten Heins jumped up to phone Kevin when he took over, indicating that he and others from RIM must be reading this site if they consider it the premier BB site, then why not appoint an official representative from RIM who would be able to post a thread acknowledging they are aware of the problem. I bet if they did that, the complaining would come to an end pretty darn quick.

I'm still very happy with my 9860 and my PlayBook, very much looking forward to 2.0 for the PlayBook, but if this problem is starting to crack my armour, just think what it must be doing to somebody who is much further down the line and considering a different platform.

Come on Thorsten, get somebody to this forum that is able to create a locked thread, or at least get a message to Kevin who can post a locked thread letting users know that RIM is aware of the problems and will have a fix out shortly!

Mike
    I totally agree. Like you, I love my Bold 9900 and my PlayBook. I'm still awaiting OS 7.1 to officially come from my carrier. However, having a DM issue upon release AND not having it fixed (or at the very least removed and have the last version up) seems to be a huge mistake.

I just spent some time reinstalling v7, uninstalling it, and reinstalling a copy of v6 back on my computer. At this rate, it seems the issues are pretty consistent, and I'm a bit surprised that no one has pulled it from their site or that there's no KB or word whether we're doing something wrong (if that's the case). The only rationale I can think of for not addressing the issue is that it makes for more negative press.
    02-15-12 07:46 PM

Mike
    I agree with you complete. I'm also disappointed in CrackBerry, actually. They have been strangely silent on the issue and like lots of sites, still showing a post proclaiming the new version 7 of DM is here. Many people will not read the comments but just the article and then go for an upgrade. An update to the story should be made stating that you may want to wait on that upgrade. Also, they have contacts at BlackBerry that we do not. We believe and hope that they read these forums but I get the impression that they only do so when it's good news. The silence regarding this is deafening and does not instill me with confidence that things are changing in Waterloo. A front page story on CrackBerry might get a rise out of them.
    jamesbondOO7 likes this.
    02-15-12 10:31 PM
    Backed up device, ran one way sync Outlook to Berry. Seemed to work, but not speedy.

Thanks RIM.

Thorsten, you asked for feedback? Pffftthhhttt on your software QA.

- R.
    02-15-12 10:33 PM
    Good posts above guys. The new CEO and the "new" BlackBerry needs to start being accountable, communicating with their customers and taking actions.

Time to start changing the past behavior.

I also wish CrackBerry would report these issues, keep us updated.
    02-15-12 10:36 PM
    I am a big fan of BlackBerry but I have to say that the experience with DM 7 fiasco has used a big chunk of my faith in them. A huge chunk as I am utterly frustrated. They have only one joker left, really and then I'll look at Windows phones.
    02-16-12 01:14 AM
    I was thinking that some incompatibility issue caused the "Preparing sync preview", or the "updated and advanced version" needed some more time to perform the initial sync, until I googled it and found myriad links to users' complaints about this.Yet there's no response from RIM yet. So sad RIM fails us again and again.
    02-16-12 02:41 AM
    Up Grade software supposed to make things better for the customer.... right?, SHould I ask RIM for a free Playbook.., at Mc Donald's, they give you a free Ice Cream if we complaint..
    02-16-12 03:26 AM
    I've just uninstalled, reinstalled DM 7.0.43 and successfully performed one-way sync from PC to my 9900, overwriting the device, then amended some details in several contacts, adjusted options to two-way sync and tried synchronisation again. Guess what, it's still showing "Preparing sync preview" 20 minutes now as I'm typing

I'm going back to the DM 6 for now and will see how RIM responds.
    02-16-12 03:47 AM
    Me too, same problem, grrrrr!

I will now delete V7 and go back to V6 and see if that still works for me!

Have a great day everyone.
    02-16-12 05:16 AM
    i installed dm and ran into the same problems, uninstalled, re-installed, twice, same prob. had to use task manager to stop it. next time i opened dm i canceled the sync and changed everything to 1 way sync from pc to bb and had it overwrite data on bb. that worked fine. after that i went back in and set everything for 2 way sync. sync worked fine. i did all this over bluetooth. then plugged in usb cable and did a backup. all seems to be working well. If you are having trouble in might pay to do a backup over blackberry protect before you overwrite all data then if you have problems there's a backup in more than one place. i would also recommend doing a sync with the old dm before installing the new one. and doing a backup with the old dm as well. good luck. updates shouldn't be this much trouble. rim is screwing the pooch with crap like this.
    02-16-12 08:23 AM
    Should have looked here first before installing 7.0.43. Have the same issue with "preparing sync preview" and did try the one-way sync. Now have the "2 day" issue on all day events so am trying to roll back to 6.1.

Did so, (have a DL of 6.1) but appears that Device Manager is nowhere to be found so sync won't work. Any ideas as to how to get Device Manager back under 6.1 (which I presume has the Intellisync program).
    02-16-12 08:42 AM
    More horrible software...for great hardware. Ughhhh...DM upgrade crashes on both PC's for me, one on Win7 64-bit, the other XP. This is the best you can do software-wise RIM? Wowwwww.....and I love my 9810 and Playbook too.

p.s. the DM software looks like it was written in the 1970's...when you can get it to work.
    02-16-12 08:49 AM
115 12345
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD