Download BlackBerry Desktop Software 6.1.0 B38 Free - Sync your BlackBerry smartphone with your PC - Softpedia

Should have looked here first before installing 7.0.43. Have the same issue with "preparing sync preview" and did try the one-way sync. Now have the "2 day" issue on all day events so am trying to roll back to 6.1.

Did so, (have a DL of 6.1) but appears that Device Manager is nowhere to be found so sync won't work. Any ideas as to how to get Device Manager back under 6.1 (which I presume has the Intellisync program).
    02-16-12 09:13 AM
    Well, got 6 to work finally (uninstalled everything Blackberry including settings, ran CCleaner, and then rebooted). Deleted all sync data off of device first, then did one-way sync from Outlook and appears back to normal. Thanks for link to 6.1, although found original in my downloads folder. Think my problem was using System Restore rollback to 6.1, which didn't entirely put things to right in Windows 7 after all.

Now to wait for 7 to be fixed. As noticed in another thread, when I check for updates on 6.1 tells me I'm up to date. Evidently BB has turned off the update feature so hopefully they're working on fixing 7.
    02-16-12 09:57 AM
    I installed it and it hangs and says Preparing Sync Preview. Blackberry says the know of the bug and dont know when it will be fixed. Meanshile my phone can not be synced!!!
    Does anyone know of a fix???
    02-16-12 10:10 AM
    Unfortunately, I can't run a one-way sync. When I click on Options, the software crashes. This sucks.
    02-16-12 10:16 AM
    Here is my take on it. It appears that RIM changed sync engines. This was discussed at CES during Playbook discussions. I think they went from Intelisync to activesync (not for sure).
    A couple of years ago, when I went from a Windows mobile to a BB, I had issues getting all of my sync working right (multiple entries, etc.) So I can see how there are issues now, if RIM changed sync engines. My life gets even more complicated, because I sync my phone to 2 computers (work and home). Last night, I finally got they sync working with both computers, and got all of the double entries/bad info deleted (except for the already pointed out all day events spanning 2 days now).

Another observation that I made is that if you let it set at the sync preview screen long enough, it will eventually come back. I don't know why it takes so long to generate the previow screen. I think it has to do with how many records are being changed, but I did see some instances where hundreds of records were being changed, and the sync preview was generated in a couple of seconds. So, I don't know why it takes so long.

For me, I was syncing about 700 contacts, and about 900 calendar entries. The first two way sync, it was stuck on the sync preview screen for 15-20 minutes. After that, it usually only stayed on the sync preview screen for a few seconds.

I don't see RIM fixes this. If my speculation is correct, and they changed sync engines, and (I believe) that the problem is within the new sync engine, then it is not RIM software that has the problem - thus, it maybe out of their control to be able to fix it. The $64 question is why did they change sync engines?

Shawn
    02-16-12 10:17 AM
    I have the same problem as well plus the software crashing all the time. Tried the one way sync solution but nope this doesn't work. As soon as I change it back to two way sync it hangs on preparing sync preview, if I hit 'cancel' the software just crashes. This is about the most unstable piece of software I've seen since Windows Vista.
    02-16-12 11:09 AM
    i think you're on the money here. Although i thought the new engine was built in-house.

RIM has licensed the intellisync engine for a long time. My specualtion is that the engine was getting a bit dated and probably reached the end of its useful life, especially in light of native calendar and contacts coming to the playbook.

Intellisync had a lot of outdated features...for example, it "supported" sycing with some Yahoo! servicesn like Yahoo! Calendar even though the New Yahoo! Calendar (that's been out for +1 years now) explicitely did not supported the sync.

Here is my take on it. It appears that RIM changed sync engines. This was discussed at CES during Playbook discussions. I think they went from Intelisync to activesync (not for sure).
    A couple of years ago, when I went from a Windows mobile to a BB, I had issues getting all of my sync working right (multiple entries, etc.) So I can see how there are issues now, if RIM changed sync engines. My life gets even more complicated, because I sync my phone to 2 computers (work and home). Last night, I finally got they sync working with both computers, and got all of the double entries/bad info deleted (except for the already pointed out all day events spanning 2 days now).

Another observation that I made is that if you let it set at the sync preview screen long enough, it will eventually come back. I don't know why it takes so long to generate the previow screen. I think it has to do with how many records are being changed, but I did see some instances where hundreds of records were being changed, and the sync preview was generated in a couple of seconds. So, I don't know why it takes so long.

For me, I was syncing about 700 contacts, and about 900 calendar entries. The first two way sync, it was stuck on the sync preview screen for 15-20 minutes. After that, it usually only stayed on the sync preview screen for a few seconds.

I don't see RIM fixes this. If my speculation is correct, and they changed sync engines, and (I believe) that the problem is within the new sync engine, then it is not RIM software that has the problem - thus, it maybe out of their control to be able to fix it. The $64 question is why did they change sync engines?

Shawn
    02-16-12 11:29 AM
    I believe that this is a significant failure for RIM. The loyal business users have no time to waste with downgrading prematurely released crucial software.
    This is a known issue:
    Blackberry Desktop Manager hangs at "Preparing Syn... - BlackBerry Support Community Forums
    jamesbondOO7 likes this.
    02-16-12 11:53 AM
    Just found this:

BlackBerry Technical Solution Center

When attempting to synchronize PIM data (contacts, calendars, memos, tasks) with BlackBerry� Desktop Software 7.0, for the first time after updating, the synchronization process appears to freeze at the Preparing sync preview screen. In some circumstances this process can take over an hour to complete, but eventually the operation will succeed.
    Environment

BlackBerry� Desktop Software 7.0 (Windows)
    DT2496224

Resolution
    This is a previously reported issue that has been escalated internally to our development team. A resolution will be provided as soon as possible.

m
    jamesbondOO7 likes this.
    02-16-12 12:05 PM
    Is there anything that can be done about it stretching all recurring issues over two days, instead of one?
    02-16-12 12:20 PM
    I downloaded the new DTS again. This time I rebooted my computer after the download and installation of the new DTS. I then backed up and synched my phone (one way from phone to computer) and everything went flawlessly.

In attempting the back up of my PlayBook, I have a fail, just like before. This is frustrating enough to make a preacher cuss. I ought to know because I am one.
    02-16-12 01:29 PM
    how do you delete device data.
    02-16-12 01:35 PM
    how do you delete device data.
    you really don't need to delete data. just change the sync options to 1 way from outlook to the bb and after you sync change it all back. i tried that and it worked fine with mine. i didn't lose any data except for what i put in yesterday because i usually sync my phone daily
    02-16-12 01:44 PM
    you really don't need to delete data. just change the sync options to 1 way from outlook to the bb and after you sync change it all back. i tried that and it worked fine with mine. i didn't lose any data except for what i put in yesterday because i usually sync my phone daily
    I've done that and it works, but all of my 'all day' entries, like birthdays, have now extended an extra day! Any idea why and how to fix this, please?
    02-16-12 01:57 PM
    I've done that and it works, but all of my 'all day' entries, like birthdays, have now extended an extra day! Any idea why and how to fix this, please?
    no help there. i ran into that a while back with another dm and just changed everything, even my default time, to 9 am and don't set up anything as all day anymore.
    02-16-12 02:02 PM
    Previous versions of DM aren't avaialble from RIM anymore.

Here is the latest version of 6.1 I could find on the interwebs. Download BlackBerry Desktop Software 6.1.0 B38 Free - Sync your BlackBerry smartphone with your PC - Softpedia

I have installed it. Works fine.

Alex
    Alex has the correct solution...uninstall the current junk and get a copy of 6.1.1 form his discovered location...
    mghblkberry likes this.
    02-16-12 02:25 PM
    Like I said before, my whole life I've always wanted the newest, latest and greatest- when it came to golf and phones-LOL! I've learned my lesson with BB however. If everything is working fine (with previous version), why not wait until all the bugs have been worked out of the updates, before installing them? RIM is not alone and we all know it! Look at all the issues throughout the years with Windows for example. Every time they came out with a new windows upgrade, there was at least 6 months before the bugs were discovered and fixed. It's no different with any software upgrade. You can only discover the hidden problems when a "mass" of users experience the same issues as we have here. I for one am waiting for the fixed product, here and on the device software. Many thanks over and over to all the folks on here that have taken the time to offer solutions and discuss their problems. This is the best forum on the web!
    02-16-12 03:11 PM
    A poster on the blackberry support forum has asked for the following:

Someone... having the "preparing sync view" issue:
    try something for me, a solution...
    Do a custom backup and UNcheck the Social Feeds from that.
    See how the backup or sync proceeds, and let us know here?

Any takers?

m
    02-16-12 03:32 PM
    I am having the same problem - Have been a long time Windows Phone user and switched to Blackberry back in November - so far have been very impressed with everything - far better than my old HTC Touch Pro 2 on WM6.5

However, this Update issue is really poor and Blackberry/RIM customer service is equally as poor as Windows - I can see why so many go to iPhone in desperation.

Surely a massive organisation should be able to get such a simple thing right?
    02-16-12 03:36 PM
    I was so excited yesterday when DM said there was an update. ...Then I updated. While I waited for DM to prepare its sync preview, I discovered this thread. I waited half an hour for last night to see the sync preview, but had to disconnect my BB to catch my train home. This afternoon I tried sync again and waited 2.5 HOURS before pulling the plug.

Uninstalled DM 7 along with my stored device information, ran CC Cleaner, rebooted, and reinstalled DM 6.1. Order is restored to the universe. Thanks for the link, Alex!

Somebody wake me when they re-release DM 7 with the ability to NOT sync all four of my device calendars with my work Outlook. Zzzz...
    02-16-12 04:32 PM
    I'm not sure if this makes any difference on the calendar issues but long, long ago I discovered (may have been on my previous 9800) that by UN-selecting all calendars but Outlook, I eliminated the duplicate dates and days. If you haven't done this, on yor phone, open Calendar/ then press the BB button and go to options/accounts (email/FB?Yahoo) and uncheck all but Outlook email address and that should do it. The sync program "grabs" all the appointments and events from all calendars, and puts them all on the Calendar program on device- hence the duplicate birthdays, etc. Hope this is of some help.
    Last edited by go1ndr; 02-16-12 at 06:03 PM.
    bigbamboo likes this.
    02-16-12 06:01 PM
    Same Issue here..
    02-16-12 07:35 PM
    I'm not sure if this makes any difference on the calendar issues but long, long ago I discovered (may have been on my previous 9800) that by UN-selecting all calendars but Outlook, I eliminated the duplicate dates and days. If you haven't done this, on yor phone, open Calendar/ then press the BB button and go to options/accounts (email/FB?Yahoo) and uncheck all but Outlook email address and that should do it. The sync program "grabs" all the appointments and events from all calendars, and puts them all on the Calendar program on device- hence the duplicate birthdays, etc. Hope this is of some help.
    I only have one calendar and it's producing duplicates. Sometimes 3 or 4 of them.
    02-16-12 11:31 PM
    I always delete in the service books, all the calendars (CICAL) associated with all my various email addresses, but the one that is used by Outlook.
    Anyway, I am back to 6.1 and peace is restored. My faith in BlackBerry is seriously shaken (not stirred) though.
    02-17-12 01:25 AM
    What is CC cleaner and where can I get a copy. I have tried to reinstall DM6.1 but to no avail. I have followed all other recommended steps but there is some kind of problem with compatability.
    02-17-12 01:28 AM
115 ... 2345
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD