Running latest DM on Win7; 9780 OS 6.0.0.650.

Just started using this DM update; after collecting data it hangs on "preparing sync preview."

Suggestions?

Thanks,
    m
    badassassin likes this.
    02-14-12 06:02 PM
    Mine's doing the same thing!
    Win7, 9810 7.1
    02-14-12 06:23 PM
    Me too...1st sync with new DM on 9810 7.0.0.583
    02-14-12 06:34 PM
    Add me to the list. Another failed release by RIM.

BB9930 7.1 Bundle 47 on Windows XP with Lotus Notes
    Last edited by Stinsonddog; 02-14-12 at 07:00 PM.
    02-14-12 06:40 PM
    I was having that problem going back to last September with leaked versions. Not a good sign unless there's some setting. I will look at in the morning.
    02-14-12 07:04 PM
    happening to me too
    02-14-12 07:18 PM
    Add me to the list as well.

I hope there's a fix soon...
    02-14-12 07:41 PM
    Bold 9900. Started sync at 5pm, watched it for a while, and then went and made dinner. By 8pm it was still "Preparing Sync Preview". That's ludicrous so I aborted the program.
    Changed the sync options to just the task manager and the notepad (8 or so tasks and about 100 notepad items). Fifteen minutes later and its still "Preparing Sync Preview".
    Who tested this crud? I get that they want to remove Intellisync, I assume for licensing reasons, but not if its replacement isn't faster or just plain doesn't work.
    02-14-12 08:10 PM
    Running latest DM on Win7; 9780 OS 6.0.0.650.

Just started using this DM update; after collecting data it hangs on "preparing sync preview."

Suggestions?

Thanks,
    m
    Roll back to previous version as there seems to be something amiss, wait a few days, then try again when feedback from this site is positive.
    I had to do a system restore in the end to undo it, this recked my virus definitions so I put that right, then the new DM software had removed the old sync software so I had to repair with a copy of DM 6.1 I then had to reset my organiser settings. Now it works fine again.
    Hope it helps
    02-14-12 08:12 PM
    Solved

Seems to be an issue with converting intellisync data over to whatever RIM is using now.

Back up your device data.
    Delete your device data
    Perform a one way sync from Outlook to the blackberry device.

After that, two way sync should work.

I no longer get the "preparing sync preview" dialog box.
    eds817 likes this.
    02-14-12 08:34 PM
    but one shouldn't have to do that. RIM is well aware that users have been using a DM that utilizes Intellisync. Their program should notify prior to the sync that a conversion will need to take place and that it will take x amount of time. The user should be given the option to proceed or decline based on time constraints if this is going to take anything longer than 5 minutes.

In this day and age there really is no excuse for shoddy programming. I want RIM to succeed as much as anyone (thus the 9900 running a soon to be obsolete OS) but in order for that to happen, users cannot encounter this type of experience. Many will just chuck the phone and go purchase something else. It might not even be a better something else but BlackBerry will be in worse shape by the time they work that out.

I also have a PlayBook. It has never had a successful backup using DM. Each update I cross my fingers and try again but to no avail. I tried to back it up the day after I got it. The only thing on it besides AppWorld programs were the mp3s that I copied over from my phone. As I said, these are not the experiences that users should be having.
    farskija likes this.
    02-14-12 08:50 PM
    I agree with you. RIM really needs to work on ensuring end users have a seamless quality experience. This means not having to tinker around with settings to get things to work...especially things that should automatically work...

Throughout all the BlackBerry devices I've owned, I have always had to play around with settings and perform functions just to get thigns to work. Some of these things, like pushing service books so that email and contact data will synchronize and performing this desktop manager operation are not things that the average consumer would be able to do. They shouldn't be expected to have to know this stuff.

I'm hoping BlackBerry 10 will be much better at end user experience and much less fragmented overall.

but one shouldn't have to do that. RIM is well aware that users have been using a DM that utilizes Intellisync. Their program should notify prior to the sync that a conversion will need to take place and that it will take x amount of time. The user should be given the option to proceed or decline based on time constraints if this is going to take anything longer than 5 minutes.

In this day and age there really is no excuse for shoddy programming. I want RIM to succeed as much as anyone (thus the 9900 running a soon to be obsolete OS) but in order for that to happen, users cannot encounter this type of experience. Many will just chuck the phone and go purchase something else. It might not even be a better something else but BlackBerry will be in worse shape by the time they work that out.

I also have a PlayBook. It has never had a successful backup using DM. Each update I cross my fingers and try again but to no avail. I tried to back it up the day after I got it. The only thing on it besides AppWorld programs were the mp3s that I copied over from my phone. As I said, these are not the experiences that users should be having.
    02-14-12 09:07 PM
    For those of you that have trouble backing up your PlayBook OS 1.0.x.
    Did you side load the leaked Android player?
    If you did, it wont ever back up.
    Had to do a security wipe and then do a cold boot OS reload.
    Have been able to back up ever since.
    02-14-12 09:07 PM
    I've been able to back up my PlayBook.

I agree with you. RIM really needs to work on ensuring end users have a seamless quality experience. This means not having to tinker around with settings to get things to work...especially things that should automatically work...

Throughout all the BlackBerry devices I've owned, I have always had to play around with settings and perform functions just to get thigns to work. Some of these things, like pushing service books so that email and contact data will synchronize and performing this desktop manager operation are not things that the average consumer would be able to do. They shouldn't be expected to have to know this stuff.

I'm hoping BlackBerry 10 will be much better at end user experience and much less fragmented overall.
    02-14-12 09:09 PM
    The problem with this method is that any pictures assigned to contacts I believe are lost. Reallly RIM? I will try this though in the am.

Solved

Seems to be an issue with converting intellisync data over to whatever RIM is using now.

Delete your device data

02-14-12 09:21 PM
    For those of you that have trouble backing up your PlayBook OS 1.0.x.
    Did you side load the leaked Android player?
    If you did, it wont ever back up.
    Had to do a security wipe and then do a cold boot OS reload.
    Have been able to back up ever since.
    Nope. Have been patiently waiting for OS2 so I haven't done anything to it except official updates to bring me to 1.0.8.6067. As I mentioned, the backup has failed since it was purchased.
    02-14-12 09:43 PM
    I supposed I should have been clearer.

I tried syncing Calendar, Tasks, and Memo individually. The problem only seemed to occur when Calendar was selected.

I had no problems syncing with Tasks and Memo. I wirelessly sync my contacts so I didn't try syncing that data set to Outlook.

Give it a shot...if the problem is with calendar, then you should be OK with your pics.

The problem with this method is that any pictures assigned to contacts I believe are lost. Reallly RIM? I will try this though in the am.
    02-14-12 09:59 PM
    You know...iam getting really tired iof this poor software implementation
    02-14-12 10:58 PM
    im stoked that the process has begun update dm then hopefully we will see os2.0 on friday, and can revel in the amazing os2.0 during the weekend
    02-14-12 11:03 PM
    im stoked that the process has begun update dm then hopefully we will see os2.0 on friday, and can revel in the amazing os2.0 during the weekend
    On the face of it yes, glad to see what should hopefully be the start of the 2.0 update -- let's hope for everyone's sake that the on-going DM upgrade debacle isn't a sign of things to come...
    02-14-12 11:10 PM
    This was driving me crazy that it seemed to work for some people but not me. Here is what I did and it seemed to take care of the problems. I did a complete backup of the phone through DM (backup has been working fine). Then I deleted all of the content in MS Outlook (Contacts, Calender Items, Tasks, and Memos) and used DM to delete the corresponding data on the phone. I then restored the data to the phone from the backup I had just created. After that, I re-synched and everything now is working fine. I tried by making a change in Outlook and one on the phone and re-synched and everything worked as it should. It is frustrating we have to sometimes work around these issues. I wish the delivered product always worked as it should.
    02-15-12 04:46 AM
    Solved

Delete your device data

That worked with one exception. All my one day appointments are two days on my 9900 even though they show as one day in Outlook.
    Last edited by EdS817; 02-15-12 at 06:52 AM.
    02-15-12 06:18 AM
    How do quickly delete the data in Calendar, Tasks, Notes & contacts BUT not everything else?
    Chris Bishop
    02-15-12 07:06 AM
    I've just managed to sync bold 9700 to manager 7.0.0.43. Outlook to device one way on all headings, overwrite device. then a both way sync. It worked
    Chris Bishop
    02-15-12 07:46 AM
    How do quickly delete the data in Calendar, Tasks, Notes & contacts BUT not everything else?
    Chris Bishop
    Connect to Desktop manager and click on DEVICE in the upper left corner and select Delete Data. In the next window SELECTED DATA and scroll down until you see what you want to delete and select it.
    02-15-12 07:57 AM
115 123 ...
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD