When using DM 5.0.1 I could tether my BB 9000 to my computer and link to the Internet. Now, with DM 6.0 I cannot even see such an option. Could someone please tell me how to tether my 9000 so that I can use it to connect to the Internet?

Thanks.
    08-19-10 08:30 AM
    Okay, I've removed, downloaded a new copy of DM 6.0.42, and reinstalled it and still cannot find the Mobile Internet application. However, I'm wondering if it is only available as a Bluetooth connection rather than USB? Since I only connect via USB and do not have BlueTooth capability on the laptop, is this the problem?

As of this moment, I have again removed the new DM and reverted to 5.0.1.
    08-20-10 08:55 AM
    I have version 6.0.0.40 and I see it under tools on the top menu bar. Do you see this?
    09-27-10 12:18 PM
    I'm having the same issue. I spent the weekend over the girlfriend's house and I could have sworn DM6 had this option. Here at home on my desktop computer I see the option for mobile internet, but don't see it on the DM6 on the laptop. Both are the same version. I even re-installed DM6 on the laptop with no luck.

Is there a plug in from blackberry to enable this feature ?
    10-11-10 11:31 AM
    I have version 6.0.0.40 and I see it under tools on the top menu bar. Do you see this?
    I was wondering if you still have the install file for this version. When I upgraded my laptop to the current version I also lost the ability to tether.

Cheers,

Andrew
    01-18-11 10:56 AM
    I am beginning to think this post, and all others asking the same question, is being monitored by the CIA! I am trying to determine the difference between BlackBerry Device Manager and BlackBerry Desktop Software. I know they are different (or used to be), but Device Manager will no longer open on my PC. Desktop Manager opens just fine. Any ideas? All of my searches result in a dead end thread with no actual answers.

This link has good info that further explains my question but no conclusive answers on why I can't open Device Manager on my PC.
    03-11-11 01:09 AM
    I had this problem, or a variation of it. I had the option for tethering ("Mobile Internet") and my wireless provider's profile was available as an option. But when I tried to connect, I got the error message that DM6 couldn't connect and that it was probably my administrator's or carrier's fault.

I was still able to connect flawlessly via Bluetooth.

First of all, and before I forget to say this, I know what you guys mean about being able to launch device manager separately from DM6. I am pretty sure that's by design, but for the life of me I don't know why (and I also don't know this for sure - it's just a guess).

DM6 creates a new modem connection option in Windows when you install or upgrade. The existing connection you used before may still be listed in your computer, but it probably doesn't work anymore. DM6 creates a new connection entirely, and a different modem will be listed in your "phone and modem options" area, using a different port (as listed in "Computer Management > Ports").

Before I embarked on a lengthy and complicated troubleshooting odyssey, I decided to check in on this newly installed modem, and see if maybe there were any settings or checkboxes that had been overlooked or needed to be re-calibrated.

Sure enough, there were.

In WinXP: Start > Control Panel > Phone and Modem Options > Modems tab > highlight "Standard Modem" > click "Properties" > Advanced tab > Extra Initialization Commands

I needed to have the Extra Initialization Commands field supplied with the correct information. Mine was blank. So I went into the same tab on my Bluetooth connection and copied the information from there, then pasted it into the blank field in my Standard Modem properties. In my carrier's case, the string looks like this, exactly as written:

+cgdcont=1,"IP","epc.tmobile.com"

Your carrier may require a different string, and this step may not solve your problem. But it did work for me. In fact, I'm posting this using that connection right now. It's definitely worth having a look. I hope this helps someone solve their problem.
    Last edited by Moon_Juice; 03-14-11 at 01:04 AM.
    03-14-11 12:57 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD