The problem appears since I updated some drivers on my Thinkpad X230T. Since updating the X230T drivers, I get the following dialog when starting the BB Desktop Software Version 7.1.0.41 (Bundle 42, 2013-03-07):
    "Please wait while Windows configures BlackBerry Desktop Software"

Previously the BB Desktop Software was working fine, and synchronizing wtih Outlook 2013 under Win 7 Pro x64. The symptoms are as follows:
    My BB Torch 9800 is recognized by Windows, i.e. when I connect it I am prompted (presumably by BB Device Manager) for its password.

However, Desktop never shows the device as connected, so I can no longer synchronize.

Rebooting and reconnecting the BB 9800 doesn't help, nor does uninstalling the BB driver.

Normally I would repair or reinstall the BB software, but I am unable to do so.

If I try to repair, I get: Error 1723, with some nonsense about a damaged DLL.

However, I get the same error, even if I run a freshly downloaded copy of the installation software "as Administrator".

If I try to uninstall, I get:
    Error 2738. Could not access VBScript run time for custom action.

I had similar problems with repairing/uninstalling this version of BB Desktop Software on Widnows XP as well

BB Desktop Software shows the following installation information:
    BB Device Manager 6.0.0.69
    BBDevMgr 4.2.0
    RIM USB Driver 4.2.0.19
    RIM USB Serial Driver 2.3.0.11
    PlayBook RNDIS Driver Interface 1.0.0.45
    Application Loader 7.1.0.48

I have tried just about every tip I could find on this and on other fora regarding this seemingly chronic problem.
    Any further advice would be welcome.
    05-31-13 04:48 AM
    my guess is that your PC has a damaged DLL file A reinstall sounds on the cards, if the DM wont allow an uninstall you may have to do this manually with administrator rights. ie working in the registry which if unfamiliar is only to be done under advisement. It sounds like the other programme you installed was not compatible. Also as far as aware XP has difficulties with the later versions and is a known issue.
    If it were mine I would backup all my blackberry data ( on a remote/external drive /usb) before cleaning the registry of the DM program.
    The damaged DLL file may be in a shared programme file, say in windows.
    Last edited by daveycrocket; 05-31-13 at 09:35 AM. Reason: Info added and spelling
    05-31-13 05:42 AM
    @rsbrux: I had the same error you did when trying to uninstall the DM. I looked on the internet for a solution and found the following. I hated doing this, because I hate messing with the registry, but once I did, it worked.

Fixing Error 2738 on Windows 7 64-bit

If you have a 64-bit operating system, you will need to follow these steps:

Open a command line window as Administrator, which requires clicking Start typing cmd in the search box, then right-clicking on the cmd.exe program and choosing Run as Administrator. Next paste the following in the command line and hit enter.

reg delete "HKCU\SOFTWARE\Classes\Wow6432Node\CLSID\{B54F 3741-5B07-11CF-A4B0-00AA004A55E8}" /f

That previous command removes the incorrect entry for VBScript support on 64-bit Windows 7. Next you need to make sure VBScript is properly registered by typing:

c:\windows\syswow64\regsvr32 vbscript.dll

or simply regsvr32 vbscript.dll if you are already in the syswow64 directory.

After following these steps you should be able to install your program without issue.

Fixing Error 2738 on Windows 7 32-bit

For a 32-bit operating system, the steps are similar, but slightly different:

Open a command line window as Administrator, by clicking Start, typing cmd in the search box, then right-clicking on the cmd.exe program and choosing Run as Administrator. Next paste the following in the command line and hit enter.

reg delete "HKCU\SOFTWARE\Classes\CLSID\{B54F3741-5B07-11CF-A4B0-00AA004A55E8}" /f

That previous command removes the incorrect entry for VBScript support on 32-bit Windows 7. Next you need to make sure VBScript is properly registered by typing:

c:\windows\system32\regsvr32 vbscript.dll

or simply regsvr32 vbscript.dll if you are already in the syswow64 directory.

After following these steps you should be able to install your program without issue on a 32-bit version of Windows 7.

Good Luck.
    Last edited by CyberchickK; 06-30-13 at 07:28 PM.
    06-30-13 06:43 PM
    If I try to uninstall, I get:
    Error 2738. Could not access VBScript run time for custom action.
    I received the 2738 error code while trying to uninstall Sprint Smartview. Technet.microsoft.com offered this solution: In your 'Run' window (Click Start>Run), enter:

regsvr32 vbscript.dll

Then click 'OK.'

I did, and I was able to uninstall the program. I think this is a universal fix for the 2738 error. It will not hurt your computer to run it.
    Last edited by Bill321; 07-24-13 at 01:02 PM. Reason: Added information
    07-24-13 12:54 PM
    On my Windows XP Pro OS; if I try to install a later version of BBDS 7.1. I get the error msg "Error 1714 The older version of BB Desktop software 7.1 cannot be removed".

I'd appreciate some suggestions; recognising that I'll probably have to go into the Registry to do a thorough removal.

Any help would be appreciated.

Mich
    08-15-13 01:51 PM
    On my Windows XP Pro OS; if I try to install a later version of BBDS 7.1. I get the error msg "Error 1714 The older version of BB Desktop software 7.1 cannot be removed".

I'd appreciate some suggestions; recognising that I'll probably have to go into the Registry to do a thorough removal.

Any help would be appreciated.

Mich
    08-25-13 08:26 AM
    Amazing. I have the same problem. My BB Desk top software would not recognize my BB Playbook after I wiped it.
    1) I tried to delete & reload the desktop software but that failed. I got an "Error 1500. Another installation is in progress. You must complete that installation before continuing this one." There were no other downloads occurring at that time.
    2) When I tried to install the Desktop software zip file "710_b042_multilanguage" I got this message: "Error 1723. There is a problem w/this installer package. A DLL required for this installation to complete could not be run. Contact your support personnel or package vendor. Action RepairRimUSB Briver NT. 07D232B6_7904_4970_8B22_8F....." (sorry the msg trailed off there).
    3) I have tried to delete the files using the normal Uninstall Program option (first) as well as deleting the files from the RegEdit (second) and both failed to delete the files - they still appear and are functional after "deleted" and the PC is rebooted.

The recently downloaded files will not load and the error messages still pop up.

I have an Asus CG 5725 w/ Vista and Office '13. The installed Malwarebytes, CCleaner & Microsoft Security Essentials have never impacted these programs

Please help.

Ch1. I got it fixed. Had to go back thru the RegEdit & look at all the folders to make sure ALL BlackBerry or RIM folders were deleted. So I am half-way there. Now I need to figure out why my PC will not recognize the PB as another "Drive", typically assigned the "Z" drive
    Last edited by mnmikeinsc; 09-07-13 at 05:23 PM.
    09-07-13 02:01 PM
    This problem recurs periodically. In fact, it seems to be so common that Microsoft has developed a "FixIt" for it.
    Here it is: Fix problems that programs cannot be installed or uninstalled.
    Running this and manually selecting the uninstall option allowed me to reinstall BB Desktop and get it working again.
    08-11-14 03:17 AM