I just installed this on my computer with Vista and it worked fine.

I just installed this on my Windows 7 Netbook with 1.33ghz, 2.0GB ram, 250GB HDD and it will install but not launch.

Tried uninstalling and reinstalling, restarted computer, running in compatibility mode, nothing.

When I go to launch the program it says almost immediately after: "blackberry desktop software has stopped working"

What do I do? My comp specs meet the criteria!
    08-11-10 02:32 AM
    Same problem here - Windows 7 Pro, 64-bit, Office 2010. Can't get my redirector running now. Is there a fallback? Is there a 64-bit version I should be installing?
    08-11-10 09:46 AM
    Just a thought. Did you run the installation as administrator?
    08-11-10 11:50 AM
    I just installed this on my computer with Vista and it worked fine.

I just installed this on my Windows 7 Netbook with 1.33ghz, 2.0GB ram, 250GB HDD and it will install but not launch.

Tried uninstalling and reinstalling, restarted computer, running in compatibility mode, nothing.

When I go to launch the program it says almost immediately after: "blackberry desktop software has stopped working"

What do I do? My comp specs meet the criteria!
    have you tried calling tech support and ask to be patched over to RIM directly?
    08-11-10 12:46 PM
    I'm having the same issue with Vista. Installs with no issues, but then crashes when you go to start. The Blackberry logo come on, but then a window comes up saying it has stopped working. Have tried to uninstall and re-install it twice now, but same result.
    08-11-10 04:40 PM
    Mine as well. Windows 7 64-bit.
    08-11-10 04:52 PM
    Same problem here with Vista
    08-11-10 06:46 PM
    same here.........
    08-11-10 07:36 PM
    Someone else brought up this issue on the BlackBerry forums and a developer is looking into it.

In my log it brings up an insufficient memory fatal error, but I have sufficient memory!

Here's the link.

Desktop Manager 6.0 Crashing - BlackBerry Support Community Forums
    Last edited by JustinGTP; 08-11-10 at 10:46 PM.
    08-11-10 10:25 PM
    Windows XP here, DM 6 is working fine.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    08-12-10 02:19 AM
    I updated my device successfully using Desktop 6.0, and the other menu items on the left side of the application all appear to work fine UNTIL you attempt to click on either of the two drop-down menus on the top left. That's where it crashes every time. I gather this is where I'd find the Desktop Redirector configurations? I tried alternate ways of getting to the menus - cursoring around, Alt-First Letter, etc. all caused it to crash with this appearing in the Event Log:

Faulting application name: Rim.Desktop.exe, version: 6.0.0.40, time stamp: 0x4c58acef
    Faulting module name: KERNELBASE.dll, version: 6.1.7600.16385, time stamp: 0x4a5bdbdf
    Exception code: 0xe0434f4d

I have everything up to date on my machine and run Win 7 Pro 64 bit with Office 2010.
    08-12-10 07:38 AM
    download older versions of Desktop Manager here: https://www.blackberry.com/Downloads/
    08-12-10 01:19 PM
    download older versions of Desktop Manager here: https://www.blackberry.com/Downloads/
    that link doesn't work for me. personally i'd like to go back to Desktop Manager 3. the Program has gotten more bloated with every update.
    08-12-10 05:09 PM
    I've had similar problems with BDS crashing. Observations:

- in upgrading via BDM 5 download, the installation was moved from where I'd originally had it on my D: drive to the C: drive(partitioned hd). I thought that to be strange but didn't think that was the issue...I still don't.
    - running the program, by itself, was no problem for me. As soon as I connected my phone though, the screen on the phone would flicker 2-3 times, then...crash. Every time.
    - I thought that maybe the fact that my phone was pwd protected was causing some sort of conflict, tunred it off and tried connecting again, saw the same flickering screen on the phone...crash.
    - I had a random thought that maybe the storage mode was the culprit, and I still have my suspicions there. Reasons below.
    - I decided to try turning my pwd off and restarting BDS to see what was what. Just as an additional what-the-hey, I figured I'd restart my phone. A lazy battery-pull, so to speak. I started up the BDS program while my phone was powered down, and it started working just fine.

It's the oddest thing I've ever come across with BB software. So anyway, I went a bit further.

- I unplugged from USB, powered up the phone, reconnected the USB, selected "No" from the Storage Mode prompt, checked the box telling the prompt to not ask me again, started up BDS.

crash.

- unplugged from USB, went to Options > Memory > Auto Enable Mass Storage Mode When Connected, selected "Yes", backed out from that menu while saving, ran through the whole connect-to-USB-start-software process...

crash.

- USB unplugged, went back to Options > Memory > Mass Storage Mode Support, changed it to "Off". Backed out, saved, plugged back in to USB, started up BDS.

I don't know why the Mass Storage mode was an issue for me, and I don't know if that's the case for everyone else who seems to be having problems. I just thought I'd outline what I'd encountered up until now, maybe it will help someone else.

QA folks, I salute you. There is no way I could do this for a living.
    Last edited by Majestic Lion; 08-12-10 at 05:45 PM.
    08-12-10 05:42 PM
    i had the same problem so i did some digging. Win7x64.. went to the log

C:\Users\USER\AppData\Roaming\Research In Motion\BlackBerry Desktop\Logs
    >Desktop.log

and looked at the bottom of the log (ie most recent before the crash. there was no fatal error or anything so i just noted the last thing in the log and launched the program again. i did this a few times and noticed that one of the last entries in the log before the crash was this:

02:15:08.941|INFO |21|Rim.Desktop.Media|38062|Source Video Information: C:\Users\USER\Videos\vid.wmv|480|720|29.96551|0|48 000|7||unknown|True
    02:15:08.942|INFO |21|Rim.Desktop.Media|0|Task [ThumbnailTask] run on new thread MTA
    02:15:08.943|INFO |19|Rim.Desktop.Media|0|TASK: [ThumbnailTask], STATE: Pending, TRANSITION: none, OPERATION: none

this is a video clip i made using windows movie maker highlighting a part of a tv show that i wanted to post on a facebook wall via youtube.. anyways i had done that already and so i deleted the video file..

TADA next time i opened desktop manager no crash.. that file must have had some weird thing with it..

hope this works for someone else who has this problem!
    08-13-10 03:32 AM
    @ justinGTB

have the same problem, download and installed under xp = o.k.

download and installed under windows7 = install, but no launch.

any news to that?
    08-13-10 04:19 AM
    i had the same problem so i did some digging. Win7x64.. went to the log

C:\Users\USER\AppData\Roaming\Research In Motion\BlackBerry Desktop\Logs
    >Desktop.log

and looked at the bottom of the log (ie most recent before the crash. there was no fatal error or anything so i just noted the last thing in the log and launched the program again. i did this a few times and noticed that one of the last entries in the log before the crash was this:

02:15:08.941|INFO |21|Rim.Desktop.Media|38062|Source Video Information: C:\Users\USER\Videos\vid.wmv|480|720|29.96551|0|48 000|7||unknown|True
    02:15:08.942|INFO |21|Rim.Desktop.Media|0|Task [ThumbnailTask] run on new thread MTA
    02:15:08.943|INFO |19|Rim.Desktop.Media|0|TASK: [ThumbnailTask], STATE: Pending, TRANSITION: none, OPERATION: none

this is a video clip i made using windows movie maker highlighting a part of a tv show that i wanted to post on a facebook wall via youtube.. anyways i had done that already and so i deleted the video file..

TADA next time i opened desktop manager no crash.. that file must have had some weird thing with it..

hope this works for someone else who has this problem!
    Thank you. This did the trick for me on Windows 7 64-bit also.

Mine was also a video file that I just had to delete... weird.
    08-13-10 05:09 AM
    nah mate no video file here, i had some videos in c:\users\me\videos but i moved them all to my documents

still same

I got the prompt via BB desktopmanager 5 to update to version 6
    I updated (I am adminstrator account, there is no option to run as administrator when you're accepting a prompt..)

So installed it, soon as i double click the icon to launch the program

NOTHING HAPPENS.

Windows 7 here 32bit

No "this program has crashed" etc errors
    Just nothing

Thanks BB
    08-14-10 12:56 AM
    nah mate no video file here, i had some videos in c:\users\me\videos but i moved them all to my documents

still same

I got the prompt via BB desktopmanager 5 to update to version 6
    I updated (I am adminstrator account, there is no option to run as administrator when you're accepting a prompt..)

So installed it, soon as i double click the icon to launch the program

NOTHING HAPPENS.

Windows 7 here 32bit

No "this program has crashed" etc errors
    Just nothing

Thanks BB
    Did you check the log? I had to check the BBDM log as described in the post above mine, because the video files were in a different folder.
    08-14-10 07:52 AM
    searched my whole computer

desktop.log does not exist
    no "logs" folder in that roaming/research in motion/" directory either
    08-14-10 07:18 PM
    I removed my video files (as suggested by BlackBerry Support Community Forums) and the BBDM 6.0 works for approximatively 1 min longer before crashing than before. I am able to begin the new setup before it crashes instead of immediately. I am running Windows 7 64bit and when I select to run in XP compatibility no crash... but unfortunately nothing happens either, program boots then nothing. I would never have upgraded if I had know RIM released such shoddy, unannounced BETA software....
    08-14-10 09:36 PM
    I was able to find this active link for v5.0 for those who want to go back. I'm having the same problem with 6.0 as everybody with it crashing. Currently loading v5.0 to go back.

Free BlackBerry Desktop Software Download
    08-15-10 01:12 AM
    what a stupid piece of software.
    no desktop.log, no idea what to do

cheers rim
    08-15-10 04:08 AM
    All well here running DM6 on W7!
    richardsonwan likes this.
    08-15-10 04:25 AM
    I was able to find this active link for v5.0 for those who want to go back. I'm having the same problem with 6.0 as everybody with it crashing. Currently loading v5.0 to go back.

Free BlackBerry Desktop Software Download

Thank you!
    08-15-10 06:31 AM
62 123
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD