Help!!

I got a message last night on my computer that there was an update to the DM. It was about 250mg. Anyway...I downloaded it---then it said I had to restart the computer to take effect (normal). I restarted and it bricked my computer. ( Thanks Blackberry!)

Unless anybody out there can see a solution, I am going to have to reinstall my software for the Dell. Loosing everything.

Any ideas?

jr
    12-01-09 09:20 AM
    How can you be sure it was the DM update that bricked your computer? How do you know it wasn't something else? Maybe the memory failed. You should never keep anything on a computer that you don't want to lose. Always backup.
    12-01-09 09:29 AM
    Of course, I can't be sure, just no problems until that fateful "You must restart for changes to be in effect".
    12-01-09 09:31 AM
    Not to say that it wasn't something else, but my friend had the exact same thing happen 2 days ago. Computer wouldn't even boot again. He had to put the Windows disc in to get it to boot.
    12-01-09 09:54 AM
    It "bricked your computer"? How? What error messages are you getting? Does it even load into Windows?
    12-01-09 10:01 AM
    Windows comes up, the desktop slooowwwly comes up, the processor is working at 100% the whole time. So, nothing I click on will open.

Dell has that thing that will let you go back in time to get around something like this, but I can not get to that place to do that.
    12-01-09 11:45 AM

So you took 250mg of DM and your computer is "bricked"?

Thanks for making me laugh this morning!

But seriously, it is quite unlikely that Blackberry Desktop Manager caused this problem. I'd disable all the crap you undoubtedly have starting up with your computer, and see if that helps. Learn the ways of msconfig.
    12-01-09 01:14 PM
    I know how to do that. I only have the minimum start up programs. Nothing extra. I run CCleaner every day. diskdefragger every day. New antivirus two months ago.

No problems.

The BDM downloaded, then gave me the box that says "Do you want to restart now?" ---I clicked Yes. When it started back up it was pretty much frozen. the cpu is running at 100%---prob the reason nothing will work.

Not too funny to me, Cheese man. I keep a clean desktop and hard drive. No reason for it to do this.

jr
    12-01-09 01:23 PM
    to the OP, you also need a disc backup/imaging app like Norton Ghost. Just a much less painful way to back to a clean running Windows, as opposed to formatting your HD, and re-installing again with the original install Disc.
    12-01-09 01:26 PM
    True that. Too late!
    12-01-09 01:29 PM
    Call Blackberry Support. I'd imagine they'd help you better. And probably not make fun of you in the process
    12-01-09 01:31 PM
    For XP machines on Dell, I believe hitting Ctrl+F11 on startup will kick it to system restore, which will WIPE everything. But before you do that, try logging into safe mode and uninstalling DM completely. If it still does it with DM uninstalled, it's something else that's causing the problem.
    12-02-09 08:13 AM
    I agree w/slinky, after your bios screen keep hitting the F8 key and start in safe mode, uninstall there and see what happens.
    12-02-09 04:20 PM
    Thanks guys--all of you. I could not get it to boot to safe mode because I had a Linux partition on my HD. I have found that I use it more than Windows, except of course to update my "Berry.

I ended up F11-ing it. Probably time to do a clean sweep anyway...

thanks again

jr
    12-02-09 04:59 PM
    For what its worth it didn't brick my computer but it did jack it up. Took several reboots and some tweeking to get it all back to normal.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    12-02-09 09:21 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD