I'm new to this forum, and am posting because of a Desktop Manager problem.

I've had my 8830 WE for several months now, and Desktop Manager has worked fine with no problems. Then, two days ago, it stopped synching to my BB. (No new apps have been installed onto my laptop during this time.) Desktop Manager shows "Disconnected" even though my laptop is making the little chime indicating it recognizes the BB being connected to USB.

I checked Connection Settings, and and it detects my BB, returning the correct Pin. But Desktop Manager still shows "Disconnected", and the Synchronize button is greyed out. I have uninstalled Desktop Manager, deleted the registry entries, and reinstalled Desktop Manager...twice. I have removed the battery from the BB to reset it. Nothing has worked.

I'm on Windows XP, and have Desktop Manager 4.2.2. Spent two hours on the phone with Verizon and BB tech support, and they can't solve the problem. They are sending out a new BB replacement. I'm afraid the problem is going to come up again.

Does anyone have any suggestions to solve this problem? Thanks!

--Max
    10-13-07 12:35 AM
    Hi, Max--
    I have had this happen to me in the past and what I did was plug the end of the USB cable that attaches to the computer into the USB port I first set up my BlackBerry with. It seems that Desktop Manager only recognizes the original port. If I plug it into a different USB port, I get the same results you are experiencing. Just a shot in the dark. Good luck.
    John
    10-13-07 12:46 AM
    Thanks for your suggestion, John. Tried plugging it in on either USB port, and it doesn't work. What's frustrating about this is that everything was working perfectly for months, and then all of it sudden it stopped working.

--Max
    10-13-07 12:52 AM
    Ok, I don't know what did it, but after tinkering around with the laptop and the BB for a couple hours, the BB is now connecting to the Desktop Manager again.

Here's what I did today:

1) Did a clean uninstall of the Desktop Manager software, including removal of all files and regedit.
    2) Downloaded the software again from Verizon Wireless, and reinstalled Desktop Manager again. (Note: this did not solve the problem, and Desktop Manager was still showing "Disconnected" after this step.)
    3) Rebooted laptop and tried to connect to Desktop Manager again. (Note: this again did not solve the problem, and Desktop Manager was still showing "Disconnected" after this step.)
    4) Then, I found this tip on another website with the following steps:
    a) Disconnect BB from laptop
    b) Remove battery from BB, and reinsert battery
    c) Close and restart Desktop Manager
    d) Connect BB to laptop

I did step 4 once, and it did not work. Then, I did it again, this time leaving the battery out for about a minute, and lo and behold, Desktop Manager recognized the BB again, and synched everything correctly.

Hope this helps anyone else who faces this problem.

--Max
    10-13-07 06:01 PM
    I just want to thank you guys and this forum...... I had this exact issue and was on the phone with Verizon, they had no clue....then I found this thread....did what was suggested and it worked.....an invaluable resource as well as a time and frustration saver.....Thanks again
    01-15-08 07:13 PM
    Same thing just happened to me. I hooked up my 8310 to Desktop Manager to do my weekly backup and DM would not recognize PIN and said disconnected. Everything worked just fine before in my previous times. So then I tried on my 8820 and that PIN was recognized and connected. So I did a search here on CB on found this thread. Thanks to the advice of mcmax, I pulled the battery on my 8310, closed and then reopened DM and now the PIN is recognized.

Even a veteran like me still needs help from my fellow CB members once in awhile!
    05-10-08 03:45 PM
    Welcome to CB I hope it works out for you.
    05-10-08 03:50 PM
    I tried everything you guys suggested twice but nothing worked. I did eventually get it to work by "re-installing" the USB port.

I am running XP, SP2, a Blackberry 8330 using Desktop 4.2.2. Here's how I did it.

1. Open Control Panel.
    2. Click on the System icon.
    3. The System Properties dialoge box will open, click on the Hardware tab.
    4. Click the Device Manager button.
    5. Expand the Universal Serial Bus controller menu.
    6. Find the Blackberry Smartphone (it may look differant to you)
    7. Right-click and Uninstall it.
    8. Plug in your device and XP will automatically reinstall it for you.
    9. Well.... it worked for me anyway.
    mt_mosquito, terrymz and PeteIN like this.
    06-11-08 05:41 PM
    Yep, the pic you posted shows the driver for the BB is messed up. What you did was correct. If you had checked Device Manager first, you would have noticed this issue before doing whatever else was suggested.

BTW, this can sometimes happen when you install a new OS release for the phone on your PC and you plug in the BB after that. It's important that you don't have your BB connected while running the OS install on your PC. Plug it in AFTER that and it'll detect it and load up the driver correctly.
    06-11-08 08:22 PM
    leeaffleck -
    Woo hoo uninstalling the BB USB worked
    07-13-08 09:48 AM
    I have been having all of these same problems until I found this site. I looked in Device Manager at the USB Controllers and I don't see my Blackberry listed. I have installed and uninstalled Desktop Manager at least 3-4 times and it hasn't fixed the issue. I honestly don't know what to do.... can someone direct me to some step by step instructions?
    07-13-08 10:06 AM
    Oh - and i have Windows Vista (which I can't stand)
    07-13-08 10:07 AM
    Check Device Manager in Windows. If the driver is messed up for the BB it'll tell you like it does in the pic above.
    07-13-08 11:16 AM
    Blackberry Smartphone isn't even listed. i've tried uninstalling and installing with no luck.
    07-13-08 01:27 PM
    Do you get a tone when you plug it into the PC? Have you tried another USB port?
    07-13-08 03:01 PM
    No, I don't get a tone on the computer. And I tried all the other ports. My IPOD is able to use all of the ports with no problem...
    07-13-08 03:51 PM
    Turn on Mass Storage on your BB if you have a Media Card and set it to Prompt. If you don't get a prompt on the BB to enable access when you plug it in, then you have issues with the phone (might need to be replaced). Use this just as a test. Usually if you had probs with the USB on the phone you'd also be unable to charge it, but obviously that works since you didn't mention otherwise.

You could also always try pluggin in the BB into another PC you have and see if it works there. If not, again, you have an issue with the BB.
    07-13-08 10:42 PM
    It seemed as if the BB was set up properly for Storage as you suggested. I actually got this new BB the other day when I traded it my other one for having this problem. I"m thinking it has something due with a software update for Vista.

I decided to upgrade my laptop w/ Bluetooth and will just synch it that way. Thanks for your help though.
    07-14-08 08:00 PM
    Whatever.... I've used Vista for ages and I have no issues. I don't know what else to suggest to you if you don't want to follow the guidelines I've laid out. Good luck in your adventures.
    07-14-08 08:12 PM
    Ok, I don't know what did it, but after tinkering around with the laptop and the BB for a couple hours, the BB is now connecting to the Desktop Manager again.

a) Disconnect BB from laptop
    b) Remove battery from BB, and reinsert battery
    c) Close and restart Desktop Manager
    d) Connect BB to laptop

I did step 4 once, and it did not work. Then, I did it again, this time leaving the battery out for about a minute, and lo and behold, Desktop Manager recognized the BB again, and synched everything correctly.

--Max
    This worked for my 8100 Blackberry Pearl that was not connecting to Desktop Manager, I left the battery out for at least a minute - thanks!
    04-27-09 01:49 AM
    I have been having the same problem, thanks to this thread I found out the driver was screwed up. Reinstalled it and its everything is purfect. Thanks CB
    05-31-09 06:27 PM
    This site is absolutely the best. I could not get the Desktop Manger to connect, so I tried taking the battery out first (since doing that was much easier to start with than uninstalling & reinstalling things) & it totally worked.

Thank you thank you thank you.
    06-18-09 08:01 AM
    I am experiencing a similar problem and have tried all of the above recommendations without luck. I was prompted today to install a software update for the BB and ever since then I can't get Desktop Manager to sync or restore my BB.

Desktop manager 4.5 recognizes the BB (asks for password and the PIN shows us) but anytime I try to restore or sync a Failed to connect to the device error comes up. I have uninstalled and reinstalled DM, removed the battery, and tried every other tip I can find. Does anyone have any other suggestions?

Thanks!
    -t
    08-26-09 07:13 PM
    ...Desktop manager 4.5 recognizes the BB (asks for password and the PIN shows us) but anytime I try to restore or sync a Failed to connect to the device error comes up...Does anyone have any other suggestions?...
    How about updating that archaic software you're using, to start?
    08-26-09 11:27 PM
    How about updating that archaic software you're using, to start?

Sorry, mixed up the BB OS with the DM version. DM is 5.0, not 4.5.
    08-27-09 04:33 AM
27 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD