I thought I had read somewhere when transferring data, contacts, pictures etc... to disable your internet connection? Is this right? Every time recently when I am doing a back up, my desktop manager freezes up and I have to re-start the computer. Any thoughts???
    12-12-09 01:34 PM
    No, you don't need to disable your internet connection when using DM. You may have heard this as a suggestion if you're upgrading operating systems, but it's wholly not needed, particularly since you shouldn't upgrade using DM anyway; you should use loader.

As far as your DM freezing is concerned, if you've disabled your internet connection it's possible that DM is trying to use it (for some reason). Since it's not able to access the internet, it's conceivable that would throw it into an error loop and cause it to freeze. Another possibility is that you don't have the most current DM installed. While DM obviously shouldn't freeze, regardless of version, it's generally good to have the most current. You can go to blackberry.com/software -> Desktop Software and get the latest to just be certain. It's also possible, though I guess just as remote a possibility, that your phone has a corrupt DB on it, causing an error during back up. Does DM ever give you an error, or does it just freeze? The only way to really resolve this would be to reinstall your OS and then selectively restore (Backup/Restore->Advanced) only the most critical DBs from your most recent backup (messages, calendar, contacts, etc.) I wouldn't do that until exploring other possibilities first though, including what I've mentioned above.

Hope that helps... let us know.
    12-12-09 01:51 PM
    Thanks, I am all up to date on my DM software and always connected to the internet, I just thought that being connected might be the reason why I am "freezing" up while doing my back up's. I never get "error" messages, or have i lost any info, its just frustrating. I think it might have something to do with my wireless connection.. Thanks again.
    12-12-09 02:08 PM
    More issues now!!! This one is a real problem. Now I cant even open my descktop manager, weather I have my S1 plugged in or not, it says "Blackberry desktop manager has stopped working" and to check online for a fix, it simply will not open, I have tried shutting down, but that didn't work? Any suggestions? I hate to re-install DM.
    12-12-09 03:28 PM
    moving to the DM Forum
    12-12-09 11:13 PM
    I would recommend uninstalling the version of DM that you have and reinstalling a version that does not include Roxio media manager. Roxio made my PC run slow and crash. I have not had any issues since I uninstalled the version with Roxio and installed 5.0 without Roxio media manager.
    12-13-09 12:05 AM
    hey i'm running on windows 7 and whenever i try to update to desktop manager 5.0 it keeps saying there's an error but i don't know what it is. Does anyone else have this problem?
    12-13-09 05:40 PM
    It appears most people have problems with DM and wiindows? Surprise surprise... All I can suggest, like it was suggested before, uninstall the DM you are using and maybe reinstall with a newer version? Or buy a Mac, I have no problems... ;p

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    12-14-09 08:35 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD