the tour is going to be my 1st BB..there were some people that said to download the desktop software without media manager..my question is if you don't download media manager how do you get your pics and ringtones and such on to the phone? is media manger worth it or should i skip it? thanks.
    07-11-09 06:37 AM
    You can always drag and drop your media files to your BB. Personally I don't use media manager. I have before and found it to be just a hassal. Although media sync I think its called is great. It syncs my itunes play list with my Berry. This is great for podcast where your updating everyday.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    07-11-09 06:41 AM
    For me It just constantly froze up with not even 1/4 of my 200GB of media added to it. And my computer is pretty fast and pretty powerful. I uninstalled it. I'll just manually drag and drop my media to the card.
    07-11-09 06:41 AM
    I run DM without Media Manager and use Mass Storage Mode. Mass Storage Mode lets you drag and drop files to/from your computer to your BlackBerry Media Card. You enable it as follows:

Options / Media Card
    Media Card Support: On
    Encryption Mode: your choice
    Mass Storage Mode Support: On
    Auto Enable Mass Storage Mode When Connected: Prompt

Plug the BlackBerry into a USB port, answer Yes to the prompt, and the BlackBerry Media card will show up as a disk drive in My Computer. Then you can drag and drop.

For most purposes, Mass Storage Mode is much better than Media Manager. The only time you really have to use Media Manager is to get pictures out of your device memory. On older BlackBerry devices, Mass Storage Mode can't see the device memory. Once the pictures are on the Media Card, Mass Storage Mode will let you drag and drop between the BlackBerry and your PC.

The Tour may provide the capability to use Mass Storage Mode on the device memory. In any case, since it comes with a Media card, there is no reason for you to ever put a Media item in the device memory.

If all the foregoing seems unnecesarily arcane, don't worry. It will all be much clearer when you get used to how BlackBerry devices work. If you've used a Windows Mobile or Palm device, you will find the BlackBerry quite different.
    07-11-09 06:47 AM
    I'm new to BB and today I brought the Tour. In looking at your response for mass storage you say to look under options than media card. There is no media card under options for. Please be nice and provide how to access mass storage. Thanks in advance.
    07-13-09 12:19 AM
    I'm new to BB and today I brought the Tour. In looking at your response for mass storage you say to look under options than media card. There is no media card under options for. Please be nice and provide how to access mass storage. Thanks in advance.
    Listed as "Memory". Just make sure mass storage mode support is on. I also turn on "auto enable mass storage". Plug in your tour to the computer, let it load the drivers and then it will show up like any other hard drive under "My Computer" or "Computer" depending on what OS you are using. From there you can just double click on it and move files back and forth. Easy stuff...just like using a flash drive.
    07-13-09 01:23 AM
    Thanks for posting the correct information. It doesn't help us help new users when RIM changes the name and location of key system settings.
    07-13-09 06:22 AM
    I have an 8GB media that was in my Pearl. Can I just swap that for the media card that came with my Tour?
    07-13-09 02:21 PM
    Sorry to hijack...real quick questions about DM, do you have to download anything to your pc as far as software or can you just make sure the mass storage option is on under memory on the device and then plug it into your pc to get pics, vids, and other things onto the card?

If this is the case where you can just plug it in and go, what exactly is DM used for? Sorry, I am a total noob to BB devices so I am trying to learn as quickly as possible

Michael
    07-13-09 02:27 PM
    Bump...just curious if someone can answer my questions regarding DM....I am wanting to put some vids, music, etc on my tour tonight

Thanks,
    Michael
    07-13-09 04:13 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD