I have a Bold 9000 with OS 4.6 and Desktop Manager 5 and I'm trying to use it to install a program onto the device. The thing is, everytime I do so, it INSISTS on checking for updates & also installing "4.6 core applications," even though I have "check for updates" turned off. It ends up taking so long to do all of this I end up cancelling it out of frustration.

All I want it to do is install the program I've selected on my PC's hard drive, NOTHING ELSE AT ALL WHATSOEVER.

I would use BBSAK 1.7 to do this, but it doesn't seem to do it correctly. It is a COD file with an applicable ALX (whereas BBSAK does fine with COD files by themselves).

Tips? (Note: I posted this in the Bold 9000 forum, but realized it was better to post here, have asked the moderators to delete that one as this is obviously the better place to ask this question.)
    04-11-10 04:45 PM
    Have you tried disconnecting your PC from the internet before running DM5? That will prevent it getting to the downloads.
    04-11-10 05:01 PM
    Have you tried disconnecting your PC from the internet before running DM5? That will prevent it getting to the downloads.
    I hadn't thought of that, may try it. I was hoping, though, there was a way you could order it to not do anything but what I ask, period.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    04-11-10 09:18 PM
    I hadn't thought of that, may try it. I was hoping, though, there was a way you could order it to not do anything but what I ask, period.

DM 4.6 was the last well-behaved version. DM's attempts to update automatically have been a problem ever since. That's why we came up with the unplugging from the internet idea. I read in one of JRSCCivic98's recent posts that it was possible to disable the auto-update in the latest DM, but you said you tried that already.
    04-11-10 09:21 PM
    Yes, that would figure. The modern programs, trying to be "for dummies" friendly, go too far with it & take away abilities for people who know what they're doing. (Like Windows not allowing you to delete a file because it thinks another program is trying to use it, and there are no other programs open. My response to that--I don't care if my deleting this file means that every last MP3 and photo I own will be gone as well--DELETE IT!)

I know what I'm doing, I have a specific program I'm wanting Desktop Manager to install and do NOT want it doing anything else. Period. If it "bricks" the device, then brick it--but do what I say.

I'm a control freak that way, I like programs to do what I tell them to. In my case I go so far as to have a dryer that allows you to shut off the warning sound it makes when the clothes are dry, I've always complained about that loud "buzzzz!!!" sound going off. That's my kind of equipment, put ME in charge.
    04-11-10 10:53 PM
    If I'm just installing an app, I've been using create-a-jad to mak a bat file to install it. Avoid DM all together.
    Then if I ever have to reinstall, I just have to run the BAT again.

04-12-10 02:29 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD