My storm has been acting funky the past couple days. Out of no where in my address book I started to get multiples of the same people. I did not know whether it was wigging out or what, so I attempted to do a battery pull. That did not work, everything was still the same with a ruined address book. So I plugged the storm into my mac using desktop manager. I synced it backed it up and restored. I thought everything was okay, until where when I restored it after I had synced my phone it gave me all the duplicate contacts again. So I had to go back further and find a change log from before sometime in October to fix my address book. WHAT I REALLY WANT TO KNOW IS why do I sync my phone to the computer, but when I want to back it up or restore it doesn't work properly. Any help would be appreciated thank you fellow crackberrys!
    11-10-09 04:11 AM
    It did work properly. You sync'd the phone which took all the contacts including duplicates and put them on the computer then backed it up which did the pretty much the same. and when you restored all you did was load all the info you backed up 2 minutes before hand. My advice is to take the time and get everything on the phone how you want it and do a sync and backup and keep that on your computer as a master restore. That way if this happens again all you do is plug and restore and you'll be good as new
    11-10-09 04:23 AM
    Thank you very much...that makes much much more sense now. Is there a way to delete the previous logs of backing up/syncing so I won't get mixed up in the near future??
    11-10-09 04:31 AM
    You should just be able to search you hard drive o what I did was I got my settings how I wanted then I did a backup and when saving it I just named it Master Restore so that way I know. And whenever I get a few changes I will make a new one

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    11-10-09 05:58 AM
    I would also suggest disabling the contact sync with Gmail if you have an account. There have been numerous people (incl. myself) reporting that it multiplies contacts. If you have it set up to do that, it's probably the source of your problem. Not the DM sync.
    11-10-09 08:06 AM
    just when i thought everything was alright, I was going to wait till I had my storm2 customized the way i wanted it and all of a sudden i go into my contacts after I just restored it there are multiples of 3 of each contact now. someone shoot me know, this IS SO ANNOYING TO DEAL WITH
    11-10-09 01:05 PM
    ^^Did you try this?

I would also suggest disabling the contact sync with Gmail if you have an account. There have been numerous people (incl. myself) reporting that it multiplies contacts. If you have it set up to do that, it's probably the source of your problem. Not the DM sync.
    11-10-09 01:08 PM
    I don't use google sync. I have google email accounts set up on blackberry. so i just used desktop manager and did something it wanted me to do under options and disable wireless configuration
    11-10-09 01:26 PM
    Check your contacts on your MAC and see if the contacts are doubles there. Sorry I can't help completely I am at work on a PC and can't think of DM from memory
    Last edited by aera; 11-10-09 at 01:42 PM.
    11-10-09 01:40 PM
    how do i do that???
    11-10-09 02:03 PM
    Go to the contacts app in your computer
    11-10-09 02:18 PM
    And be sure to check that you aren't wirelessly syncing your contacts with Google. I believe it's enabled by default when you setup your gmail account(s) the first time.

Log in to your BIS site (This is Verizon's) and click the Edit icon beside your gmail account. Then make sure the check box to sync your contacts at the bottom is unchecked. Repeat this process for each of your gmail accounts.

Of course, you'll need to clean up your contacts in your BB/Mac before you sync them again, but this should stop the magically multiplying contacts.

I really wish they would fix this "feature." I would definitely use it if it worked properly.
    11-10-09 03:14 PM
    Can you tell me how this works, because my contacts are still duplicating them selves intermittently and now i dont know if im using it correctly. first sync then back up so you can restore in the future right? well just when i think i have my BB the way i want it i do those actions in order sync etc...Maybe im doing it a wrong way can someone help
    11-11-09 01:17 PM
    try this:

get it the way you want it, then do a backup.

Then sync.

Also at what point is you phone duplicating the contacts? While syncing or just randomly throughout the day?
    11-11-09 03:28 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD