Desktop Manager keeps trying to reload operating system when I try to load new apps through DM.

If I have to load an .alx file through DM it will reload the entire OS onto my device. This is getting so frustrating. I already have the OS installed and have never removed it from my PC.
    It shouldn't have to take an hour to add just one app.

Any suggestions?
    07-20-10 07:31 PM
    Just go through letting it install the entire OS back onto my device.
    Now I have the pain of setting the permissions and registration for all of my 3rd party apps.
    What a pain.
    Before doing so, I decided to plug my device back into DM. What do you know, it said that I had to upgrade my device.
    So once again, my device is upgrading again as we speak.

Not sure why it's always trying to update. I've already disabled the automatic update feature in DM via the control panel using the modify re-install option.

I just stumbled upon another way to disable it by going through the Registry on my PC. I'm hoping this will stop it from updating every time.

Start Menu->Run
    Type in regedit to open the Windows Registry
    Navigate to: [HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Research In Motion\BlackBerry Auto Update]
    Locate the value called EnableAutomaticChecking and double-click the name.
    Replace the value of 1 with a value of 0.
    Restart BlackBerry Desktop Manager.
    07-20-10 08:23 PM
    Uninstall the OS from your computer. Worked for me.
    I may have to try that if the other methods don't work out. I've also heard that if you rename the folder containing the OS by putting ~ at the beginning of the folder name may work as well.
    07-20-10 08:32 PM
    I may have to try that if the other methods don't work out. I've also heard that if you rename the folder containing the OS by putting ~ at the beginning of the folder name may work as well.
    Move the OS to another folder so DM won't know where it is. Also if it tries to download the OS then disconnect your PC from the network. Saw this advice given to someone a while back and they said it worked. Good luck.
    07-20-10 08:36 PM
    If the OS is installed, I can't see how moving the folder would do a thing differently. It's installed, it's not just sitting somewhere on your pc. Uninstall it. You don't need it anymore after the phone has been updated.
    Maybe it's symantics, but the BB OS is not installed on your PC. The files that are a part of the OS are unzipped into a folder with a specific name that DM recognizes. It looks for that folder, if it is not there and it thinks that it needs to do and update of the OS it then reaches out to the cloud and grabs a copy, in a compressed file, which once it's on the PC is de-compressed or unzipped into the appropriate folder.

If you move the folder or rename it then DM can't find it. If it can't find it, it can't use it. Since the OS is not installed on the pc it can't be uninstalled.

I hope this clarifies what I was saying in my previous post.
    07-20-10 09:51 PM
    Move the OS to another folder so DM won't know where it is. Also if it tries to download the OS then disconnect your PC from the network. Saw this advice given to someone a while back and they said it worked. Good luck.
    Thanks for the tip on disconnecting my PC from the network when running DM. That's the only thing that seemed to work.

I cleared all of the settings from:
    C:\Users\UserName\AppData\Roaming\Research In Motion\BlackBerry

I also cleared everything from the folder that's the same as my PIN from:
    C:\Users\UserName\AppData\Local\Temp

I uninstalled the OS from my PC.

It still kept finding the files to upgrade my device.

After unplugging my PC from the internet it did not try to update it.

I wish they would allow us to disable that feature, and enable it when needed. This is such a pain.
    07-20-10 10:26 PM
    Friends, please forgive my noobieness but I too had this problem. Scenario: 9000 with a different OS than the "official" from my carrier. My phone always wanted to "upgrade", so I just disconnected my computer from the internet, and it quit doing that. Then I was able to load just one file without problem.
    07-20-10 10:31 PM
    Friends, please forgive my noobieness but I too had this problem. Scenario: 9000 with a different OS than the "official" from my carrier. My phone always wanted to "upgrade", so I just disconnected my computer from the internet, and it quit doing that. Then I was able to load just one file without problem.
    I'm actually using the official OS. That's what I can't figure out.
    07-20-10 11:31 PM
    If the OS is installed, I can't see how moving the folder would do a thing differently. It's installed, it's not just sitting somewhere on your pc. Uninstall it. You don't need it anymore after the phone has been updated.
    I disagree with this idea. Once installed, the OS on your phoone IS important. Case in point: mine. I have .699 still on my phone. I uninstalled memopad and tasks and wanted them back. I was not able to re-install them without having a copy of the OS installed on my PC. So when I use DM, I disable from the network as BOB suggested (the RIGHT CALL btw) and my phone does not try to update and I can add and remove portions of the OS. Then if I want to update, I enable the network and of course, my phone will sense the .732 and away I go.

That is the way to do it.

Good call Bob!!!
    07-21-10 07:21 AM
    Incase they ever need to reload the OS it wouldnt be bad idea to save, and DM probally only searches a certain path for the OS so if you move it into a folder elsewhere it may not find it without you pointing it to its location
    07-21-10 07:26 AM
    @jaydee. Absolutely, the OS on your phone is important, which is why I would never suggest removing it, although, removing from the pc is not harmful.
    I'm sure that was a typo.
    07-21-10 08:01 AM
    Incase they ever need to reload the OS it wouldnt be bad idea to save, and DM probally only searches a certain path for the OS so if you move it into a folder elsewhere it may not find it without you pointing it to its location
    That's how I've handled it. I've actually just moved it one folder up the hierarchy in the RIM main folder. DM can't find it.

I've got a similar but quirky problem (as I highjack the thread a bit?). I have the OS installed. But now when I got to use DM to install a new app, it "kindly" offers to REMOVE or DOWNGRADE a number of programs that I installed using BBSAK or were transferred by DeviceSwitchWizard. UNticking the remove/downgrades does not help as it then wants to do the other downgrade/remove. So DM is fairly useless unless it has controlled all aspects of loading other applications on the device. I guess I should post this as a separate thread but can't think of a succinct title for it.
    07-21-10 09:13 AM
    I too have the same reloading the OS loop problem! Very frustrating, and no fix (except the distinctly unsatisfying - disconnect the PC from the web...) seems to be in the wind.
    My facts:
    Bold 9700
    ATT
    Device software version:5.0.0.979 (official from ATT)
    Blackberry Desktop version:6.0.0.43

I have posted this same "issue" on the lame-o BlackBerry Support Community Forums and have gotten exactly zero, nada, zilch help.

This is not good - if BBs are not going to go the way of Palm devices, such problems need to be resolved! (How is that for a challenge to the experts out there in CrackBerry-land!)

Any help would be deeply appreciated.
    01-20-11 12:55 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD