I downloaded the most recent version of desktop manager from Blackberry's site to my desktop. However, when I try it, I get the error message that it's "not a valid Win32 application". After Googling this, it appears that others are having this issue as well but they all seem to have Vista and I dont think the fix would work on Xp, which is what I am running. I've uninstalled the previous version already. Anyone have any fixes? Any help is appreciated.

(I apologize if this is in the wrong section, I didn't see any Desktop Manager section in the software area, could have missed it tho)
    10-21-08 06:42 PM
    Welcome to CB Jon and, sorry to hear about your troubles. Did you completly remove the older version of DM from your PC before installing the new one?
    10-21-08 06:51 PM
    I believe I did, I went to Control Panel and did Add/Remove Programs, and uninstalled. Are there any special steps I am missing?
    10-21-08 06:56 PM
    It doesn't seem so. When I upgraded to DM 4.6 I ended up using a tool (FREE) called Revo Uninstaller. It completly removes all related files to a certain program including the registry. Call me OCD but, it worked for me.

Good luck.
    10-21-08 06:59 PM
    hmmm.....probably wouldn't work now if i tried to use that program. i can't find any general files left over, guess I'll keep looking.
    10-21-08 07:12 PM
    Go to program files and delete the folder in there. I had a similar problem the first time I download 4.6 and found a file in my program files after I unistalled it.....so I deleted that and redownloaded, worked for me.
    10-21-08 07:13 PM
    Do you think that having a backup of my Pearl still on my desktop would cause this? The uninstall didn't remove my backup, but i thought i wouldn't need to.
    10-21-08 07:14 PM
    No I left all my backups on there
    10-21-08 07:18 PM
    Go to program files and delete the folder in there. I had a similar problem the first time I download 4.6 and found a file in my program files after I unistalled it.....so I deleted that and redownloaded, worked for me.
    I did find a stray folder there, but when I try to delete it, it gives me another error stating
    "Cannot delete ODSTRACE.XML: Access is denied. Make sure the disk is not full or write-protected and that the file is not currently in use."

I checked Task Manager and it doesn't appear to be a program currently running.

And I checked the Add/Remove list and nothing is left there to uninstall.

Any ideas?
    10-21-08 07:23 PM
    Here's what I got from BB after a bit more digging-

Cause

The ODSTRACE.XML file resides in C:\Program Files\Research In Motion\BlackBerry\ and cannot be deleted even when one attempts to restart the computer and log into Safe Mode. The file is inaccessible to the BlackBerry device user account that is logged on to BlackBerry Desktop Manager because all files and folders in Microsoft Windows XP have Access Control Permissions (ACLs), which disallow access permissions to remove the file.

Resolution

To delete the file in Windows XP Home Edition, complete the following steps:

1. Log out of BlackBerry Desktop Manager.
    2. Log in as Local Administrator.
    3. Delete the file.

If the above method fails, create a new local profile and install BlackBerry Desktop Manager.

To delete the file in Windows XP Professional, complete the following steps:

1. Right-click on the file and click Properties > Security tab.
    2. In Group or user names, add the current user.
    3. In Permission, type Full Control.
    4. Click on Allow.
    5. Click on Apply.
    6. Click on OK.
    7. Delete the file.

Additional Information
    Note: Windows XP Home Edition has limited file security controls compared to Windows XP Professional.
    10-21-08 09:19 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD