Hey everyone,

Long time lurker, new time poster. I hope this forum can help me with my issue.

So I have the first gen Blackberry Storm and now have Windows 7. As I try to install it, it recognizes the device as a "RIM Composite Device" but refuses to install and cannot find any drivers. However, before I even plug it in, I have the 5.0.1 DM installed, which should help. When I open that, it tells me I need to plug in the phone. I do, and nothing happens.

I've tried a complete reinstall, removing the device from the Device Manager and going so far as to remove the neccessary software keys from the registry. Still a no go. The only thing I found which REMOTELY Worked was I took the battery out and put it right back in. On the computer, it popped up with "Installing Blackberry smartphone successful." But when it returned to startup, the phone reverted to Rim Composite Device with no drivers.

How can I solve this issue?
    11-29-09 07:35 PM
    looks good
    11-29-09 07:37 PM
    replied to wrong post
    11-29-09 07:38 PM
    Have you checked the cd that came with your storm? It might be able to pull the driver it needs off that CD, if you have it redirect to your CD drive. I did not have this problem on my win7 box, but that is the only idea that comes to mind....

-Make sure you plug in the phone before you start up DM.
    11-30-09 10:28 AM
    try plugging in your phn w/o the battery and bring up the bbdtm, then put the batt in your phn and see if it finds it then...
    11-30-09 03:37 PM
    Have you checked the cd that came with your storm? It might be able to pull the driver it needs off that CD, if you have it redirect to your CD drive. I did not have this problem on my win7 box, but that is the only idea that comes to mind....

-Make sure you plug in the phone before you start up DM.
    CD didn't work unfortunately, it results in the same issues.

try plugging in your phn w/o the battery and bring up the bbdtm, then put the batt in your phn and see if it finds it then...
    This was a good idea. Basically it installed a "Blackberry Smartphone" as the device, but when you booted up DM, it would say it couldn't recognize the device because it wasn't connected correctly or had a dead battery (since it was removed). Putting the battery back disconnected the phone from the computer and reconnected it automatically, not able to find the drivers again.

Is it something I'm missing in the phones settings, like a USB setting turned on/off. I don't recall this being an issue before since before Windows 7, I installed the 5.0 OS with no issues, but that was on XP.
    11-30-09 10:50 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD