Correct me if I am wrong, but this is how I understand the bberry OS upgrading process works

You install desktop manager. Then go to http: // vzw.smithmicro dot com/blackberry and download the latest software for your phone. Then you connect your blackberry with a USB cable and it automatically prompts you to update the software, since the new software is installed on your computer. Is this correct?

Or, could you just download the software from that site, and not even have desktop manager software installed? Just run the executable after you download it and then it should ask you to plug in your bberry, right?

Also, what if you have a Curve 8330 and also an 8530, and you have newer versions of software for them installed on your computer. If you then hook up just one of the bberries and open up desktop manager, I guess it just detects which model you have connected and prompts you to update the software?

Then theoretically you could just install the latest software for 10 different model bberries and hook each one up and it'd prompt you to update the OS on all of them?

Thanks for any clarification!
    06-08-10 06:00 PM
    Bumper cars.
    06-08-10 07:50 PM
    Ok, here's how it works. With newer versions of DM, when you plug your BB into your PC, DM should automatically check for updates, if not, you can click the icon to have it check, but like I said, it should do this automatically. If an update is found, DM will download the OS to your computer and load the OS directly, you don't have to download a thing prior, it does it for you.

You can also download the OS like you stated, however your phone and DM won't automatically locate it. You must install the OS onto your PC much like you do any new program that you download. After this is completed, you can then open DM, link your phone, and DM should automatically locate the new OS on your PC. If it doesn't, then you can point DM to the new OS thru the application loader.

You are also correct about the OS's for different models of BB. If you have a 9700, 8330, and an 8130, and you have three OS's loaded onto your PC, one for each handset, DM will differentiate which one is for the connected handset.

Check the BlackBerry 101 blog about loading Operating Systems onto your Berry, it explains it as well.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    06-08-10 08:17 PM
    Do a manual Backup using DM then:

1.Remove any older OS you have installed on your PC then download the OS and install it on your PC.

2. Delete the file vendor.xml Located in - C:\Program Files\Common Files\Research In Motion\AppLoader\

3. Connect your Bold to your PC and run App Loader (Same folder as the vendor.xml: C:\Program Files\Common Files\Research In Motion\AppLoader\Loader.exe).

4. Follow the prompts, making sure the default of having App Loader back up as well as manual and restore your data and apps after.
    06-08-10 08:17 PM
    Got it - thanks a lot!!
    06-08-10 09:25 PM
    You don't have to bump your post after two hours. Read the rules bud.
    06-08-10 10:23 PM
    You don't have to bump your post after two hours. Read the rules bud.
    Alright, thanks brah.
    06-08-10 11:20 PM
    06-09-10 07:17 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD