08-12-10 03:46 AM
39 12
tools
    i go to my desktop manager and click help and check for updates and it shows os6 on their now

then i installed it and got the new desktop manager but it doesn't show the choice to update yet but it is there just can't for some odd reason.

i know this happened same thing with our last update, i had the notification on my phone for months before it actually worked, just hope we dont gotta wait ages for this one
    08-10-10 10:17 PM
    Cool. I'm downloading the version now. I have the BB Storm 9530 let's see how this works.
    08-10-10 10:30 PM
    let me know how far you get, i installed the new desktop software and seems that pretty much it. no 0s6 update yet.
    08-10-10 10:44 PM
    Yeah no new OS yet but it looks like we will be getting the OS 6 on our phones.
    08-10-10 11:05 PM
    i did some research and this update is just for the new desktop manager. but hey, its a step forward!
    08-10-10 11:12 PM
    Yeah it's much easier to use than the old one. They need to stop teasing us and make with the new OS. Thanks for the info.
    08-10-10 11:19 PM
    Yeah, ill admit it, i bragged and told everyone the os is here then i realized it was just for the desktop manager lol

im a dork
    08-10-10 11:21 PM
    Your not a dork. Normal companies send out updates for device managers when they release the new OS. Well RIM isn't normal, plus I was hoping for a least a beta version. RIM you've disappointed and impressed me.
    08-10-10 11:26 PM
    Your not a dork. Normal companies send out updates for device managers when they release the new OS. Well RIM isn't normal, plus I was hoping for a least a beta version. RIM you've disappointed and impressed me.
    You mean the beta version for DM6? It's been out couple weeks ago but it's only available for the people that got the invite.
    08-10-10 11:47 PM
    why would there be a new desktop update for the tour if it isn't going to get the new os
    08-11-10 12:02 AM
    the desktop manager update isn't an update specifically for the tour, or for any one phone specifically. it's just an update for the desktop manager in general. that program covers all blackberry's. when an os update comes out desktop manager recognizes what kind of phone you have and offers to apply any updates it finds on your specific phone (tour). we all get the chance to update to the new version of the DM because it works for us all and is nice to be able to use the new features, interface, etc. hopefully that clears it up for ya.
    08-11-10 12:17 AM
    It doesn't seem to see that I have mass storage enabled (ON) and it says I need it ON. Geez...guess there are some bugs.
    08-11-10 12:27 AM
    what a "DM"

and the new os6 isnt for all phone. i dont even think its for tours
    08-11-10 12:27 AM
    has anyone restored their berry using DM6? on the leaked version it didnt restore theme settings and im just wondering does the official version fix that..
    08-11-10 12:32 AM
    what a "DM"

and the new os6 isnt for all phone. i dont even think its for tours
    DM = Desktop Manager

yes i know it isn't for all phones, and you're correct the tour won't be getting it as far as anyone knows. my point is the desktop manager is just the program used to manage your blackberry through your computer, so just because you can upgrade it doesn't mean your phone will be getting a new operating system. Think of it as upgrading to Microsoft Office 2007 on a Windows XP computer, or something to that effect haha. The DM is just the program used to actually update the OS on your phone. Doesn't have anything to do with os6 besides increasing capabilities and functionality.
    08-11-10 12:58 AM
    DM = Desktop Manager

yes i know it isn't for all phones, and you're correct the tour won't be getting it as far as anyone knows. my point is the desktop manager is just the program used to manage your blackberry through your computer, so just because you can upgrade it doesn't mean your phone will be getting a new operating system. Think of it as upgrading to Microsoft Office 2007 on a Windows XP computer, or something to that effect haha. The DM is just the program used to actually update the OS on your phone. Doesn't have anything to do with os6 besides increasing capabilities and functionality.
    Yeah i get your point now. im very upset since this whole time i thought the tours will be getting the new os.

real bummer, i feel like Blackberry just drove a stick through my heart ahah
    08-11-10 01:01 AM
    yeah it sucks i had a tour about a month ago too. had an upgrade i hadn't used so i went ahead and got a bold 9650 that way i knew id be getting os6. but its taking forever so the excitement is definitely wearing off. hate to be a complainer but there are definitely some things they could do differently in the future. every time i see an android phone a slight feeling of regret hits me. hopefully that'll go away when its released!
    08-11-10 01:06 AM
    @unlimted I was hoping for a beta version for OS 6 not DM. I'm just waiting for the hybrids for OS 6 if storm doesn't get it. Too bad I'm not better at BB programming I'd make my own OS 6 right now.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    08-11-10 01:18 AM
    yeah it sucks i had a tour about a month ago too. had an upgrade i hadn't used so i went ahead and got a bold 9650 that way i knew id be getting os6. but its taking forever so the excitement is definitely wearing off. hate to be a complainer but there are definitely some things they could do differently in the future. every time i see an android phone a slight feeling of regret hits me. hopefully that'll go away when its released!
    Yeah BB are really behind on technology and take forever for updates such as this. i remember the last update (5.0) tooooooooook foreveerrrrrrrrrrr, the update notification icon was on my phone for about 5 months before it finally worked. imagine the temptation of wanting to get the new os and its right there infront of you but cant get it.

but my next phone is definitely a evo. just everywhere i go there all sold out

so i gotta stick with this tour until then
    08-11-10 01:21 AM
    glitter- I hear that. DM is pretty much useless to me I could care less about the improvements to that. Only thing I use it for is to install official os releases anyways haha. Driphter.com had a pretty good amount of hybrids with os6 files included last time I looked, but I doubt its anything new and exciting that a full blown os would give us. I've seen some pretty dead on themes too. So you've got a couple options if not. Of course nothing beats the real thing.

Joey- seems like they will be catching up with the competition or at least getting close with os6. Blackberry has always been business and functionality focused where android and iphone to me are more flashy and fun oriented. I'd love a mixture of both but the bb design and physical keyboard fits me the best. I'd probably lose my mind trying to get the update to work if that happened haha. Let me know if you are happy with the switch when you finally find the evo

Last edited by unlimited20; 08-11-10 at 01:48 AM.
    08-11-10 01:45 AM
    glitter- I hear that. DM is pretty much useless to me I could care less about the improvements to that. Only thing I use it for is to install official os releases anyways haha. Driphter.com had a pretty good amount of hybrids with os6 files included last time I looked, but I doubt its anything new and exciting that a full blown os would give us. I've seen some pretty dead on themes too. So you've got a couple options if not. Of course nothing beats the real thing.

Joey- seems like they will be catching up with the competition or at least getting close with os6. Blackberry has always been business and functionality focused where android and iphone to me are more flashy and fun oriented. I'd love a mixture of both but the bb design and physical keyboard fits me the best. I'd probably lose my mind trying to get the update to work if that happened haha. Let me know if you are happy with the switch when you finally find the evo

I have done my research i can tell you that. the evo looks great but you put it perfectly.

Blackberry= More business and professional like.

Androids and other smartphones are more app orientated and much more flashy, like a kid in a candy store.

but im still thinking about it. im not sure im willing to give up bbm
    08-11-10 02:14 AM
    I downloaded the update from Blackberry's website..now everytime I connect my phone to the computer, The computer restarts automatically. Does this happen to anyone else??
    08-11-10 09:05 AM
    I downloaded the update from Blackberry's website..now everytime I connect my phone to the computer, The computer restarts automatically. Does this happen to anyone else??
    Not on mine (at least, not yet).

One thing I don't like about DM v. 6 is that there doesn't seem to be a way to make it hide when minimized. Not a major flaw, but it seems like a step in the wrong direction.
    08-11-10 10:00 AM
    BlackBerry 6: Inside New Media Sync Options Inside BlackBerry - Inside BlackBerry – The Official BlackBerry Blog

Looks like some real nice wifi sync features and such, OS 6 is looking promising in many ways.
    08-11-10 11:19 AM
    The new DM 6 is easier to use compared to DM 5. I'm waiting for the clanshell since my other dream phone the Torch went to AT&T. In the mean while I will wait for the OS6 to come which will mean new hybrids. My only problem is I can never her them to install my phone always reboots to the basic 4.2 platform.

08-11-10 11:23 AM
39 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD