I searched, I looked through the similar threads, I found nothing similar to my problem.

Tethering enabled on the line through service provider.
    Desktop Manager installed (Never been installed before on this machine).
    Latest OS on the device.
    Connected with new data cable.

Desktop Manager recognizes the BlackBerry, but the options available for profiles in Tools --> Mobile Internet settings are all blank.

The button to add a custom profile, is grayed out.

This has happened with two different BlackBerry devices on two different machines.

What am I doing wrong?
    08-31-10 02:06 PM
    I had the same problem.

I completely uninstalled DM 6 (including user settings), deleted all of the related ports and modems in Windows' device manager, rebooted then reinstalled DM 6. I edited the ip modem xml file to allow AT&T and now have a populated dropdown list of providers.

I'm still working on it, so I'll report back soon enough...
    09-01-10 08:37 AM
    Well this is disappointing...

It says it can't connect because the modem's not responding.

Checking each COM port (5-8), only COM7 responds to AT commands. However, DM6 went and setup the modem on COM5 and there's no way to easily change the COM port. Adding a standard 56k modem on COM7 allows Query Modem to get a response but naturally DM6 won't use that modem.

Still plugging away at it. Thankfully I can still tether via Bluetooth without using DM6 at all

BTW, I should add that after I edited the ip modem xml file, I changed the attribute to readonly, otherwise DM6 will keep undoing the enabling of the AT&T profile
    09-01-10 09:19 AM
    So many bits of info out there but none of it appears to be in one place

Adding a standard 36k modem on COM7 worked. I still can't use DM6 because it appears to only look for "Standard Modem," not "Standard xxxxxx Modem," but that's fine by me - I can use Windows 7 dialup to connect via USB (with BB device manager running) or bluetooth...
    09-01-10 09:41 AM
    Somehow I missed the notifications on the topic replies.

I was able to get the profiles to show, I also found out about the Standard Modem not installing when DM installed, so I followed the instructions in this BlackBerry KB article and was able to get profiles to show.

Now to just make DM connect to the 'net....
    09-08-10 02:41 PM
    Has anyone been successful at tethering their blackberry to the internet via Desktop Manager? I have tried several Mobile Internet Settings to no avail. the message is always:
    Failed to start Mobile Internet. Check profile setting and make sure your radio is turned on. (?)
    I am Windows Vista, DM 6.1.0.35, Blackberry Bold 9000 OS v 5.0.0.1067.
    Any help is appreciated.
    Otherwise I am considering purchasing Tether or Tetherbridge. Of course FREE is Best!
    08-13-11 02:16 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD