I love my BB Torch, but I'm about to take it back just because I can't get desktop manager 6 working. everytime I start it on my windows 7 computer, it crashes. I've installed it, reinstalled it, and rebooted my computer so many times in the last 2 days that I'm shocked the power button is still working ont he computer. at least desktop manager 5 worked with my blackberry bold. I tried to email RIM and ask them about the issue, but after sifting through all the crap on their web page, I finally gave up. I'm sure I'm not the only person with this issue, can anyone suggest a fix or a workaround?
    08-17-10 12:01 AM
    Is it just being painfully slow? I have noticed that it takes forever to connect to the device. But if you are patient it will eventually.
    08-17-10 12:19 AM
    Is it just being painfully slow? I have noticed that it takes forever to connect to the device. But if you are patient it will eventually.
    it will actually start the program, and then comes up with an error and states that it has to shut down. It won't let me do anything.
    08-17-10 12:30 AM
    Just a thought, but have you tried to start it as the Administrator? You know, point to the exe and right click, than choose "Run as Adminsitrator". Sometimes that will kick it into a functioning exe. Just a thought..
    08-17-10 01:46 AM
    Just a thought, but have you tried to start it as the Administrator? You know, point to the exe and right click, than choose "Run as Adminsitrator". Sometimes that will kick it into a functioning exe. Just a thought..
    yep, a friend of mine suggested this, and I tried it. same issue. it will boot up and then after a minute, it will tell me that it has to shut down.
    08-17-10 01:53 AM
    He's not the only one. I just upgraded from BB Desktop 5 to 6 for my Tour (9630) on Windows 7 x64 Enterprise, and am having the same insta-crash. The software starts to open, then keels over and dies.
    08-17-10 02:03 PM
    I don't have a torch (yet) but I haven't been able to get Desktop Manager 6 to work either. I'm using 64-bit and was wondering if it might be a Win7 x64 issue.
    08-17-10 02:47 PM
    Just upgraded from Desktop Manager 5 to 6 with my Storm and it's doing the insta-crash thing with Win XP SP3. I was able to get it to run twice but not for very long.
    08-17-10 02:56 PM
    i did the upgrade to 6 and have not had any issues as of yet. I am using win 7 pro 64bit and Outlook 2010. It has not crashed and i have been able to sync and do backups. hopefully it will continue that way.
    08-17-10 03:53 PM
    Crashes for me too at the splash screen. Rim are aware of the issue.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    08-17-10 04:17 PM
    I have installed it on 4 computers runningt anything from XP to WIN7 64bit PRo and it has worked on all with out a single error message.
    08-17-10 04:47 PM
    this is frustrating, I've been trying for days to get this software to work. RIM needs to fire whoever develops their desktop manager software. I purchased my 1st blackberry 6 months ago, and was instantly hooked on the phones. I bought the torch that came to my store, and I'm completely happy with the phone, but the desktop manager software leaves much to be desired. it didn't work very well for my bold 9000, but at least it worked. the latest desktop manager makes me want to return my phone and stop selling blackberries to customers. I've been talking people out of Iphones and into blackberries, but this software is leaving me with a bad attitude; especially since you can't email them about it and get straight answers. they want you to go through their knowledge base and sift through hours of crap in order to try and find answers that aren't there. it makes it easy for RIM to ignore their customers. I guess I could call their automated system and get the runaround that way too..
    08-18-10 11:01 PM
    I haven't had any issues with DM6 on a Vista machine, nor my clients (I do IT work) that have XP SP3.

Do you by chance have the Roxio Media Manager component that was part of Desktop Manager 5 (and/or 4)? I only ask because it was that part of DM that always gave me headaches, so I stopped installing on client machines. Never had problems with DM after that.

Maybe check that's not in your Programs list. If it is, uninstall it, then try DM6 again.
    08-18-10 11:31 PM
    I haven't had any issues with DM6 on a Vista machine, nor my clients (I do IT work) that have XP SP3.

Do you by chance have the Roxio Media Manager component that was part of Desktop Manager 5 (and/or 4)? I only ask because it was that part of DM that always gave me headaches, so I stopped installing on client machines. Never had problems with DM after that.

Maybe check that's not in your Programs list. If it is, uninstall it, then try DM6 again.
    hey, thanks for the tip. I tried that as well as uninstalling everything blackberry and then reinstalled DM6. no luck. this software is just bad. it works for a few people, but I'd have to say that the majority of people are having issues with it. I'd love to see a crackberry Poll on the amount of people who are having issues.
    08-19-10 12:40 AM
    Have you re-downloaded DM6 from ATT/blackberry? Just wondering if you're using the same install and that's a problem somehow.

Also, when you go to install the program, do you do that as administrator?
    08-19-10 01:10 AM
    guys i am on XP SP3 and had DM 4.6 on my computer. installed the DM 6 and now it doesnt launch. It says" BB DEsktop has enountered a problem needs to close and sorry for inconvenience"
    Tried to re boot and removed Roxio as well.
    Still DM 6 fails to launch.
    Any suggestion ??
    08-19-10 01:10 AM
    I did re-download the software and ran it as administrator. that was actually my 1st thought. maybe the file was corrupted somehow? I sent an email to RIM, and they sent me back one of those automated responses that politely gives you the brush off and expects you to be happy about it. makes me want to start pushing Iphones at my store. I hate customer service like that. RIM has to know that this is an issue, and they haven't even bothered to respond to anyone about the issue. I asked Crackberry to put up a poll to see how many people have issues with the new DM6 I'd bet that it's close to 80%. I could be wrong though..
    08-19-10 01:18 AM
    guys i am on XP SP3 and had DM 4.6 on my computer. installed the DM 6 and now it doesnt launch. It says" BB DEsktop has enountered a problem needs to close and sorry for inconvenience"
    Tried to re boot and removed Roxio as well.
    Still DM 6 fails to launch.
    Any suggestion ??
    I'm dealing with the same issue. wish I had a solid answer for you, but I don't think an answer is going to come from RIM anytime soon.. Just **** poor software..
    08-19-10 01:21 AM
    hey guys, theres a thread on the blackberry support forums about this. seems to be a faulty memory issue on the software side. it happens randomly, my personal laptop (win7 pro, nokia booklet 3g) cant run it. however, my work laptop (xp sp3, 2 gigs ram) has no problems running it.
    08-22-10 11:58 AM
    hey guys, theres a thread on the blackberry support forums about this. seems to be a faulty memory issue on the software side. it happens randomly, my personal laptop (win7 pro, nokia booklet 3g) cant run it. however, my work laptop (xp sp3, 2 gigs ram) has no problems running it.
    Lucky you. I have a 2GB XP SP3 laptop and DM6 croaks at the launch then exits. In a rush to market, RIM has really s*****d up. It is a shame that it can't even acknowledge the issue which has been burning for quite a while now. No wonder, the expectations from RIM are so low.
    08-27-10 10:45 AM
    6 day limited beta test. They couldn't have fixed any problems if they tried. Rush job...also, noy compatible with outlook 2010....wtf? What amatuers coded this?

Posted from my BlackBerry using BerryBlab
    08-27-10 11:03 AM
    6 day limited beta test. They couldn't have fixed any problems if they tried. Rush job...also, noy compatible with outlook 2010....wtf? What amatuers coded this?

Posted from my BlackBerry using BerryBlab
    Agreed, this is definately amature stuff. Its no wonder RIm's stock has been dropping. I think they should fire the whole bunch and recruit apples developers. At least their software works

08-27-10 11:32 AM
    Agreed, this is definately amature stuff. Its no wonder RIm's stock has been dropping. I think they should fire the whole bunch and recruit apples developers. At least their software works

Who says it's the fault of the developers? It is probably the fault of bean counters/stock holders demanding it be rushed to market before it is complete, all in the name of the almighty $$.

BTW, it runs perfectly on my work desktop - Win7 x64, and on my home laptop - WP SP3. No problems at all.
    08-27-10 12:37 PM
    Who says it's the fault of the developers? It is probably the fault of bean counters/stock holders demanding it be rushed to market before it is complete, all in the name of the almighty $$.

BTW, it runs perfectly on my work desktop - Win7 x64, and on my home laptop - WP SP3. No problems at all.
    You're one of the few lucky ones. Congrats. I'm running a new laptop and win7 x64 with 4g of ram and an intel i5 processor. Mine won't work for more about 15 seconds before shutting down. This software blows. I've seen better software on leapster kid toys.

brandyisme likes this.
    08-27-10 01:23 PM
    Looks like the installer - 600_b047_multilanguage.exe - is messed up because it happened to me as well.

The installer prompted me to install Microsoft Visual C++ 2008 and i didn't have it so I chose to install it.
    Looked like it went through the process successfully and then I launched Desktop Manager 6.0 and it would exit out when I tried to configure my Torch 9800.

I noticed that there were some extracted installer files in the root of my C: drive and that they were for Visual C++.
    I manually installed MS Visual C++ 2005 and also 2008 and then launched Desktop Manager without any issues.

I hope this helps people out because the phone is awesome and works great for me.
    10-05-10 06:10 PM
49 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD