Just a warning to those of you using Companion Link software to synchronize your Contact Management Program and your Blackberry via USB and Desktop Manager. There is no current update available to Companion Link, to work with Blackberry Desktop Manager 6.0. If you upgrade Desktop Manager from version 5.0 to version 6.0 and then try to go back to 5.0. Companion Link no longer synchronizes with Desktop Manager.

I know this because I just got done speaking with Companion Link about the issue and can no longer Synch between the two
    08-16-10 01:03 PM
    Just a warning to those of you using Companion Link software to synchronize your Contact Management Program and your Blackberry via USB and Desktop Manager. There is no current update available to Companion Link, to work with Blackberry Desktop Manager 6.0. If you upgrade Desktop Manager from version 5.0 to version 6.0 and then try to go back to 5.0. Companion Link no longer synchronizes with Desktop Manager.

I know this because I just got done speaking with Companion Link about the issue and can no longer Synch between the two
    I uninstalled 6.0 and reinstalled 5.0. It would get to the point of calling the add-in, and then it would stop. I contacted CompanionLink support, but hadn't heard back from them. I guess that's why. Hope they get an update out soon. I hate entering data into my BB and ACT. Had that issue when I had my Treo, and CompanionLink wasn't yet VISTA compatible.
    08-16-10 08:48 PM
    Tech support for Companion Link offered up a beta version of a new release, 4.0 that was supposed to fix the bug. FAIL...
    08-17-10 06:05 AM
    I uninstalled 6.0 and reinstalled 5.0. It would get to the point of calling the add-in, and then it would stop. I contacted CompanionLink support, but hadn't heard back from them. I guess that's why. Hope they get an update out soon. I hate entering data into my BB and ACT. Had that issue when I had my Treo, and CompanionLink wasn't yet VISTA compatible.
    Here are my precise steps that worked for me (YMMV, of course):

1) Uninstall 6.0, including the separate update software, via control panel.

2) Search Blackberry website and find instructions on how to fully remove all BB software and registry entries. Follow completely, except that the part regarding renaming the InstallShield entries screwed up other programs for me so I undid that, so suggest skipping that.

3) Reboot.

4) Install BBM 5.01, build 82 -- an earlier build did not work. Link to DL software can be found on CompanionLink site. Neither option to manage media was checked/installed.

5) Do not, repeat, do not try to update the BB handheld's software from 5.01. (And if you do, uninstall the update software in Control Panel/Programs.)

For me, that fixed all and got CL working again with my 8330.
    08-17-10 08:01 AM
    I don't know what Companion Link is but I wonder if this fix will help my problem. I have twice loaded V6 onto my Vista machine and can't get a "display". I get a screen frame that says BlackBerry Desktop Software at the top but the field is blank. When I go to Taskmanager it says I shouldn't "quit" because the system is waiting for a response from me.

Should I dump 6.0 and go to 5.01? This is the first time the any RIM software has been loaded on this machine.
    08-17-10 11:03 AM
    Companion Link has released a beta, version 4, that does synch with Desktop Managewr 6.0. If you purchased the previous version after January of 2010 you get the upgrade free. Otherwise you have to purchase the new version to work again.
    08-17-10 03:48 PM
    Here are my precise steps that worked for me (YMMV, of course):

1) Uninstall 6.0, including the separate update software, via control panel.

2) Search Blackberry website and find instructions on how to fully remove all BB software and registry entries. Follow completely, except that the part regarding renaming the InstallShield entries screwed up other programs for me so I undid that, so suggest skipping that.

3) Reboot.

4) Install BBM 5.01, build 82 -- an earlier build did not work. Link to DL software can be found on CompanionLink site. Neither option to manage media was checked/installed.

5) Do not, repeat, do not try to update the BB handheld's software from 5.01. (And if you do, uninstall the update software in Control Panel/Programs.)

For me, that fixed all and got CL working again with my 8330.

I tried this yesterday, but installed 5.0.141 and it did not work. Thanks for your instructions. They may help someone else...
    08-17-10 03:50 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD