In May of 2010 I downloaded DTM for my 9700. The only function that I use is the modem for tethering to get Internet access. I DO NOT USE ANY OTHER FUNCTION. I've changed laptops and the DTM I have downloaded is not nearly as user friendly as the version from back in May, 2010. Can I still find and download that version and if so, how? I'm not a techie so please just give me the layman's version of what to do. I always appreciate your help. Thanks in advance.
    RB
    02-27-11 11:09 PM
    What was the version you were running that you downloaded back in May 2010?

You can probably find it here: https://www.blackberry.com/Downloads...E4F82F9F00E7D4
    Select "Blackberry Desktop Software v5.0 Service Pack 1"
    From what you've described it was v5.0.1 B30, although B80 should be that different
    02-27-11 11:17 PM
    I'd be interested in knowing how you use your BB as a tether to provide internet to your laptop. Perhaps it's just because I use a Mac which isn't applicable, but Desktop Manager is really limited for what I can do with it on mine. I can't backup pictures, videos or contacts even, and only have the option of backup/restore/sync and management of my applications.
    02-27-11 11:22 PM
    I will check that out, thanks. I'm on T-Mobile. Does that make any difference?
    Thanks again.
    02-27-11 11:22 PM
    No it won't make a difference at all. These desktop software is pretty much universal with all carriers
    02-27-11 11:23 PM
    No, that makes no difference in what Desktop Manager can do for you with a single exception, if you have Mobile Backup enabled you won't be able to backup your contacts with BBDM until you turn it off. I hate that and don't see why you can't have both working at same time, but whatever, it is what it is.
    02-27-11 11:24 PM
    BEYOND THE BOX...the DTM allows the 9700 to connect to the Internet by acting like a modem connected to my laptop via a USB cable. The cable was supplied with the 9700 and one end, the end that attaches to the 9700 is the same micro-USB as the charging device. It's a two or three click process and I'm connected.
    It's great for when wi-fi isn't available. Wish I knew more, I just know that it works.
    02-27-11 11:30 PM
    hahaha, yeah, I know how to connect it to my laptop, just not how to use it for internet connection, but I've never had a time I needed it, just thought it be something cool to try. Maybe I'll do so tomorrow when I'm feeling more adventurous! ;D
    02-27-11 11:36 PM
    There's an option in DM that allows you to tether off your phone's data plan. I've used it once when my router was buggered up and I needed to use the computer to go online. I have a PC though and not sure if the DM for Mac has the same feature.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    02-27-11 11:43 PM
    DM 5 is quite good. I have gotten to know DM 6 allot more. I just don't tether until I switch from telus to wind. It'll be 2 more years and I'll be unlimited (might cancel my ISP, if things go arwy)

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    02-27-11 11:49 PM
    Forgot about the "data plan"...you have to have that but I guess if you have a BB you must have some sort of data plan. I'm lucky...my T-Mobile plan is very "old" and I have unlimited data for $19/mo. They hate me!
    02-28-11 12:02 AM
    Forgot about the "data plan"...you have to have that but I guess if you have a BB you must have some sort of data plan. I'm lucky...my T-Mobile plan is very "old" and I have unlimited data for $19/mo. They hate me!
    Yup, I too have the cheapo unlimited plan... LOVE IT!!!!
    02-28-11 12:48 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD