01-14-12 07:34 AM
36 12
tools
    Just wondering if this could be hooked up to a monitor, keyboard and a mouse? I would be happy to use it as a replacement for my pc. All my business work involves spreadsheets, pdf and email. Not much else.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    I'm very similar to you, Outlook, Word, Excel, Powerpoint, Visio and Web based apps at work, the same at home but also with flash based games an the odd video streaming.

For heavier duty gaming, I have my PS3.

As the PlayBook will have Bluetooth, if it can support a keyboard and mouse (HDMI for monitor output has already been confirmed) then this seems totally viable.

I'd be a happy fella if it all came to fruition.
    10-05-10 11:24 AM
    I think tablets and the like are a viable option for most people. If what you mostly do is browse the web and use media, then pretty much most of your activities could be duplicated on PC, netbook, tablet...

If you play lots of video games (WoW...), then you might find them a bit lacking. I know my daughter plays Wow on her netbook, but the graphics aren't as good as when she plays on her boyfriend's PC. There would have to be several games that would need to support QNX OS for those to work.

As someone had said previously, tablets like the iPad are consuming devices - they are meant to be used to consume media and information. They aren't the best at being creative devices. If you do a lot of blog posting, writing, image editing, documentation, and such, they can be somewhat lacking. Options like external keyboards and monitors can help, but that is still a little limiting once you are away from your desk.

I know in my situation, I edit a lot of photographs each week for my photography business. I also use my computer for application development. I end up carrying a 17" laptop with me to handle all the editing and code writing while I'm on the road. I can do some of that via netbook, but the smallish screen does make some of that rather hard to do. There would need to be quality apps available on a tablet for me to leave the laptop behind.

The big question I have is application development. Will you be able to develop Playbook apps on the Playbook itself? Will you be able to create BlackBerry (BB6) apps on the Playbook? If they have apps on the Playbook that can do those things, I know I'll leave my idea of moving towards a high-end netbook and definitely get a Playbook.
    10-05-10 11:48 AM
    No tablet or pad will EVER replace a desktop unless it runs a fully qualified OS like Windows or OSX (maybe not OSX, but you get the point). The reason being is that there will always be the need to run a program or capability that an "app" wasn't written for. So, a full OS with USB connectivity and ample storage/availability of external storage hookup via USB would be needed to truly have a desktop replacement platform. This is the reason why I think the Windows7 HP Slates will be the best candidates for this type of thing. You will simply be able to do more native things with a full OS at your disposal.

Questions have already been posed as to what people will do to have MSOffice capabilities on the Playbook. If a full OS tablet/pad was in question, simply install MSOffice and be done with it. Simple and easy. The principal is simple. If a tablet/pad question comes up and it cannot be answered in the same way as it would for a PC, it cannot be a PC replacement. Simple as that...
    IMO I think QnX is/will be moving that direction. Applications that can work in the enterprise, with Win and Linux especially will make it happen sooner.
    10-05-10 01:23 PM
    I do a lot of traveling consulting. Anyone know if this gizmo will do powerpoint presentations through a projector?
    10-26-10 05:15 PM
    I would think through the Presenter without a doubt. Otherwise, you'd need the drivers for the individual projectors.
    10-26-10 05:40 PM
    I do a lot of traveling consulting. Anyone know if this gizmo will do powerpoint presentations through a projector?
    Only way I can see it doing it is with the Blackberry Presenter,

BlackBerry Presenter announced! | Inside BlackBerry

I really hope they release a Presenter 2 to include HDMI in the future
    10-26-10 06:17 PM
    I don't think it will replace my PC, but what I am hoping it will replace is all my lecture notes. When I teach a class, I usually have a series of papers on my desk with my various notes that I refer to. I would love to be able to put all of that in PDF, or Word format, on the Playbook and scroll through them while teaching.

What would be interesting, although I'm not sure its possible, is if the Playbook could broadcast PowerPoint to a projector through blue-tooth. Then I could walk around the classroom lecturing instead of having to remain in the front of the class tied to a desktop.

The third thing I'm intersted in is whether an app will be created that works like a piece of paper, i.e., i could draw figures, diagrams on it to show to students to clarify statistical concepts. If u could save this as an image, that would be great.

The only other area I'm hoping it will be able to handle is MSN and video conferencing within MSN client.
    10-26-10 07:04 PM
    I don't think it will replace my PC, but what I am hoping it will replace is all my lecture notes. When I teach a class, I usually have a series of papers on my desk with my various notes that I refer to. I would love to be able to put all of that in PDF, or Word format, on the Playbook and scroll through them while teaching.

What would be interesting, although I'm not sure its possible, is if the Playbook could broadcast PowerPoint to a projector through blue-tooth. Then I could walk around the classroom lecturing instead of having to remain in the front of the class tied to a desktop.

The third thing I'm intersted in is whether an app will be created that works like a piece of paper, i.e., i could draw figures, diagrams on it to show to students to clarify statistical concepts. If u could save this as an image, that would be great.

The only other area I'm hoping it will be able to handle is MSN and video conferencing within MSN client.
    You should be able to do that

The BlackBerry presenter can do this. I don't see how RIM would make the Presenter incompatible. Alternatively, you can leave the PlayBook connected to the projector, then use a bluetooth remote.

I don't think that would be to hard to make. What you're talking about is a scrolling paint canvas that automatically lengthens when you get near filling it up and is able to save and load these drawings. and different colours and pen sizes.

There will be a MSN app. Maybe not from RIM, but somebody wil make one that does the job.
    10-26-10 07:23 PM
    No. but the playbook can replace the need for people to carry net books or even a laptop.
    10-27-10 08:50 AM
    If it will print out of the box, it may.
    10-27-10 11:59 AM
    Just wondering if this could be hooked up to a monitor, keyboard and a mouse? I would be happy to use it as a replacement for my pc. All my business work involves spreadsheets, pdf and email. Not much else.
    As the days count down towards the BlackBerry PlayBook Tablet OS 2.0 release sometime during the month of February in the year 2012 the expectations will intensify with all the promised and demonstrated features at CES 2012. For my particular use-case this tablet is almost perfect. And yes it is possible to replace a notebook computer with a tablet for quite a few use-cases as I am continually learning each day. Will I ever completely forsake my notebook computer? Nope, it will always have its place but the BlackBerry PlayBook with the appropriate accessories has proven itself to be the perfect complementary device.
    01-14-12 07:34 AM
36 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD