Just wondering if this could be hooked up to a monitor, keyboard and a mouse? I would be happy to use it as a replacement for my pc. All my business work involves spreadsheets, pdf and email. Not much else.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    10-04-10 07:15 AM
    Definitely could. It wasn't that long ago that there was speculation that laptops would "someday" be powerful enough to replace desktops.

I haven't used anything except a laptop since before 2003. And that's personal and business computing.
    10-04-10 07:18 AM
    It would be nice, but i could hardly see it replace a desktop.

they are two different items.... will this cut down on your desktop use? I think yes, but fully replace one? not yet.

It might be in the works.... stay optimistic
    10-04-10 07:19 AM
    It would be nice, but i could hardly see it replace a desktop.

they are two different items.... will this cut down on your desktop use? I think yes, but fully replace one? not yet.

It might be in the works.... stay optimistic
    Well, judging by the specs, it's already more powerful then my desktop lol

10-04-10 07:21 AM
    Just wondering if this could be hooked up to a monitor, keyboard and a mouse? I would be happy to use it as a replacement for my pc. All my business work involves spreadsheets, pdf and email. Not much else.

It probably could, assuming that you can set a higher resolution for the external monitor, rather than keeping it the same as the standard 7" just cloned to a larger screen. Spreadsheets are best with large, high resolution screens. If the answer is yes, the resolution can be set on a monitor, than sure, it can replace a lot of desktop functions. Aside from work, all my home computer use can be done on my iPod touch, except for flash based games, sites, which I do personally find fun/useful.
    10-04-10 08:07 AM
    It probably could, assuming that you can set a higher resolution for the external monitor, rather than keeping it the same as the standard 7" just cloned to a larger screen. Spreadsheets are best with large, high resolution screens. If the answer is yes, the resolution can be set on a monitor, than sure, it can replace a lot of desktop functions. Aside from work, all my home computer use can be done on my iPod touch, except for flash based games, sites, which I do personally find fun/useful.
    It appears that you don't really need a computer at home. Just a web surf tool and Playstation.
    10-04-10 08:22 AM
    Do you know redfly mobile companion ?
    Just have a look at http://crackberry.com/redfly-review
    10-04-10 08:33 AM
    I was interested in it but now the PlayBook has been announced I'd rather wait.

10-04-10 08:40 AM
    short answer no.

long answer, it depends what you use it for :P

if all you're going to do is look up websites and do office work, might as well get something cheaper such as a netbook or cheap equivalent desktop.
    10-04-10 08:43 AM
    Ye it depends, but tablets are going to be big in the next few years, again new ways or portability, small but powerful
    10-04-10 09:28 AM
    I was interested in it but now the PlayBook has been announced I'd rather wait.

Agree, the Playbook will be compatible with ALL BB's not just 3. It will make the Redfly obsolete, especially if bluetooth or usb wireless keyboard/mouse is an option.

Redfly has got to be sweatin' this and very happy for the delayed release.
    10-04-10 10:14 AM

In my world, no way. I'm heavy multimedia and built an HTPC and can hold it's own as a gaming rig. The only integration is the gigabit ethernet connection. Right now, a pad isn't gonna take the place of an HTPC and run like the wind.

If I was using it for some web browsing and documents, then yea, a pad could easily take the place of the desktop.
    10-04-10 11:00 AM
    Agree, the Playbook will be compatible with ALL BB's not just 3. It will make the Redfly obsolete, especially if bluetooth or usb wireless keyboard/mouse is an option.

Redfly has got to be sweatin' this and very happy for the delayed release.
    Not all, from OS v5.0 upwards. Just remembered, when I was looking into Redfly option I had s Storm2 and it wasn't compatible.

10-04-10 11:00 AM
    Not all, from OS v5.0 upwards. Just remembered, when I was looking into Redfly option I had s Storm2 and it wasn't compatible.

Oh yeah, I keep forgetting that I don't consider pre-OS5 devices to be real Blackberries any longer, LOL.
    10-04-10 11:19 AM
    Oh yeah, I keep forgetting that I don't consider pre-OS5 devices to be real Blackberries any longer, LOL.
    What? I am quite offended by that statement lol
    I still hope one day there'll be a new
    vintage 7290 with modern internals.

10-04-10 11:23 AM
    I think for alot of people this COULD replace their PC. I know personally, my phone dam near does everything I need it to do on a personal level, so i could see this thing replacing mine. However, I think on a business level it will be quite a few years before we see Tablets (or Pads or w/e) taking over just simply because old habits die hard.
    10-04-10 11:27 AM
    I would be happy to be able to run OS upgrades from a tablet. If this works, I'd be set.

Last edited by BergerKing; 10-04-10 at 12:40 PM.
    10-04-10 12:22 PM
    No tablet or pad will EVER replace a desktop unless it runs a fully qualified OS like Windows or OSX (maybe not OSX, but you get the point). The reason being is that there will always be the need to run a program or capability that an "app" wasn't written for. So, a full OS with USB connectivity and ample storage/availability of external storage hookup via USB would be needed to truly have a desktop replacement platform. This is the reason why I think the Windows7 HP Slates will be the best candidates for this type of thing. You will simply be able to do more native things with a full OS at your disposal.

Questions have already been posed as to what people will do to have MSOffice capabilities on the Playbook. If a full OS tablet/pad was in question, simply install MSOffice and be done with it. Simple and easy. The principal is simple. If a tablet/pad question comes up and it cannot be answered in the same way as it would for a PC, it cannot be a PC replacement. Simple as that...
    10-04-10 12:47 PM
    No tablet or pad will EVER replace a desktop unless it runs a fully qualified OS like Windows or OSX (maybe not OSX, but you get the point). The reason being is that there will always be the need to run a program or capability that an "app" wasn't written for. So, a full OS with USB connectivity and ample storage/availability of external storage hookup via USB would be needed to truly have a desktop replacement platform. This is the reason why I think the Windows7 HP Slates will be the best candidates for this type of thing. You will simply be able to do more native things with a full OS at your disposal.

Questions have already been posed as to what people will do to have MSOffice capabilities on the Playbook. If a full OS tablet/pad was in question, simply install MSOffice and be done with it. Simple and easy. The principal is simple. If a tablet/pad question comes up and it cannot be answered in the same way as it would for a PC, it cannot be a PC replacement. Simple as that...
    Good point if ever so pessimistic You just made me consider Redfly thingy again.

10-04-10 01:29 PM
    Question is, will this replace your BB?
    10-04-10 01:31 PM
    Honestly, the answer to this question also depends on the person in question. I know a few people who use an iPhone and have no need or a full PC to do all their computing needs. The device does enough web/phone/email and app coverage to fill their need and in wanting to cut costs of a PC and broadband at home, they went this route. Than I know people who need more advanced capabilities from a portable device. For me, I need to be able to hook up to routers and switches and be able to do telnet or com based communications for work. Such connections often include the use of a USB to serial connection cable and no current tablet/pad on the market can do this right now... at least not in the same unlimited way that my laptop can. So, the Playbook, iPad, Android tablets of the near future will not work for me as a total PC replacement. I'd need something like an HP Slate with Windows 7 funning on it to fit my needs. Anything less and I'd feel my hands would be tied in what I can and cannot do... similar to what's happening now with the BB platform.
    10-04-10 01:42 PM
    Personally, a tablet won't be able to replace a PC for me for the same reasons JRSCCivic said. Even if it did have a full fledged OS I'd much rather prefer having a dedicated desktop simply for its own sake especially since the PlayBook may not have a removable battery which would make me worry about battery wear.

10-04-10 02:26 PM
    If your computer use goes as far as emails and some small applications then yes a tablet could replace a traditional computer. With that being said, I could do almost everything RIM showed with the PlayBook with my Evo. If my needs were that simple I'd only have just my phone.

All my macs have a dedicated purposes (mini for my living room, MacBook on the go and in bed, iMac for the rest). I'll probably get rid of my Mini if the Google TVs are any good though. Still I have a hard time using solely a tablet which is far limited to what even a 299 netbook running Snow Leopard or W7 Ultimate can do.

10-04-10 02:39 PM
    no way in **** the playbook can replace desktop/laptops for most people. If you do any media editing or need good processing power the device is out. it can pick up the slack of email, my Incredible and my BB already have done that for me. And some web browsing. You arent going to sit there and type out a research paper for school on it though. Students will still need to have a dedicated pc or laptop for their work
    10-04-10 03:38 PM
    The more I think about it, the more I think it's not gonna work.

10-04-10 04:44 PM
36 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD