I had been using a relatively old version of Blackberry DM....(like 4.2 or something) and with the posting about version 5.0.1 on the front page yesterday I decided to upgrade.

When I finished upgrading and started DM now the program is stuck on the window in the beginning with the exclamation point stating "before you begin, verify that your current blackberry device is connected to your computer"

Being unable to pass this prompt I cant even change any settings or click on anything in the new DM. Any ideas? Do I have a bad BB driver for Vista?
    11-04-09 07:58 AM
    First thing I would try is rebooting your computer, then start DM and click help> about blackberry desktop manager> make sure you have Version

If so try connecting your Berry again. If the upgrade took correctly hopefully it will work after a reboot and restarting the software.
    11-04-09 08:11 AM
    If the above doesn't work, download Revo uninstaller (free) and uninstall all instances of DM. This program will remove unused registry files as well. After uninstalling, reboot and then reinstall 5.01. Hope this helps.
    11-04-09 09:00 AM
    I also came across this problem and solved it by doing this:

1) Make sure no "Desktop Manager" components are running. You may need to kill BbDevMgr.exe, RIMDeviceManager.exe, and DesktopMgr.exe using Task Manager

2) Run regedit.exe

3) Navigate to:
    HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Research In Motion\BlackBerry\Manager

4) Create a new 32bit dword reg value named "DeviceConnection" and set the value to 1

5) Launch Desktop Manager

For me this was a new install in a VM I created to test this with. I noticed that there was no value named "DeviceConnection" where one does exist on a machine of mine that is working. Once I did this, then DM would at least start up and not show that stupid message screen where it then does not allow you to select the device. It appears that the programmers at RIM need to go back to school and learn how to test application updates and use FRESH computer images for their testing.
    11-11-09 05:21 PM
    Thanks SpawnMOD, BB programmers really suck
    04-19-10 11:50 AM
    I have 5.0 dtm and can't see my windows calendar, for synic option. I can see my widnows contacts and it synics with it. and there both in the same folder. DTM only gives me ASCII and Yahoo for calendar and Contacts I see Windows Contacts, ASCII and Yahoo. What's Up, what am I doing wrong!!!!!
    04-19-10 11:56 AM
    Hi all, as the original post was many years ago, i certainly HOPE the original poster has found relief. But others like myself just encountering headaches trying to save data. The solution for me was to install an older version of DM (501_b049_multilanguage), and MagicBerry3 to get IDP files off my BB. When installing DM v 5 unselect Media Version during install. BUT after install is complete, go to Control Panel, Add/Remove Programs, find and delete DM Media Version. Turns out, it installs anyway, but is not seen in DM dashboard. Once you remove Media Version, the gray box with "connect device" warning disappears. Hope that saves someone 36 hours of headache!
    03-08-13 07:33 PM