Hi all,

I just bought a Curve 8330 and connected it to my PC for the first time and opened up Desktop Manager and received the attached message. I'm concerned about the highlighted portion of the message at the top. How do I "activate the device wirelessly to continue to send and receive email messages and use other Blackberry services"?

I'm waiting to click 'Finish' as I'm unsure if I should or not and what the message means specifically.

Thank you!
    09-11-09 08:18 PM
    Reactivation should happen automatically once the process is finished. If it doesn't, it will be a simple fix. Do a battery pull, then dial *228 on your device when it boots up. You will reactivate and be up and running.

Go ahead.
    09-11-09 08:21 PM
    Thanks, Michael! Continuing with it now.... Will keep you posted with results.
    09-11-09 08:31 PM
    Let me know if you run into any problems. I'll be around.
    09-11-09 08:33 PM
    Ruh-roh!
    Received the attached message during step 4 of 11 after it hung on step for for a few minutes (step said something about a ROM boot).
    09-11-09 08:35 PM
    And how is the device itself? Are you doing anythin PC resource intensive while doing this?
    09-11-09 08:41 PM
    The red LED light is staying on continuously. The phone does nothitng else at this point. I haven't done a battery pull yet, but have pushed down and held the power button for 10 seconds and nothing changed. Disconnected the USB cable and no change from the above.
    I'm just sitting here at the PC doing nothing else other than browsing the forums.
    *About 30 seconds after disconnecting the cable I have an hourglass on the phone. Waiting to see what happens. It's been up for about a minute now. It continues to roate.
    09-11-09 08:45 PM
    The hourglass went away and it went to the Verizon screen as though it were booting up and did the usual security scan or whatever it does and booted back up fine. I'll try connecting it again.

Thanks for lurking!
    09-11-09 08:48 PM
    Something went wonky while the DM was doing it's thing. You will likely see that spinning hourglass as it attempts to boot, then it will reboot after hitting a certain stage.

Follow the steps here BlackBerry 101: How to Reload the Operating System on a Nuked BlackBerry | CrackBerry.com and you will get yourself up and running in no time.

EDIT: I see it seems to have resolved itself, so nothing seems to have been seriously harmed. Good to hear. Let me know if you run into any further problems when you hook it up again. I would also suggest clearing your browser cache on the berry before doing it again. Browser>BB Key>Cache Operations>Clear everything. I honestly don't know why that causes so many problems with DM, but it does.
    Last edited by michaelwpg; 09-11-09 at 08:54 PM.
    09-11-09 08:51 PM
    Not sure why it went to that update page the first time and now doesn't go to it. It did it when I launched the DM but doesn't do it now. I'll follow those steps if I get back to thie updates and it happens again (if I can figure out how to get to the updates).

Thanks again for the help, Michael. Greatly appreciated!
    09-11-09 08:56 PM
    Let me guess. When you first hooked up, a window popped up stating that updates were available for your device, listing core applications, crypto library, etc.

DM will do this occasionally, at seemingly random times. Seems it scans your device on connection, and if it finds something in the core OS that doesn't sit right with it, it will attempt to "update" the OS. It's up to you whether you wish to do so, or to ignore, neither should harm your device.

You are very welcome for the help. Remember the link in my sig, or PM me if you ever need more help. You only have 4 more posts to go before you can send a PM, and it shouldn't be hard to accomplish.
    09-11-09 09:03 PM
    Awesome! Thanks!
    You hit the nail on the head about how it occurred! That was it!
    I'm new to the Blackberry Universe having switched over from a phone that began with the letter 'i'. It was stolen last week when I was on vacation. Got a Storm and didn't like the functionality so I got a Curve and love it.
    09-11-09 09:07 PM
    Well then. Welcome to CB, and congrats on the Curve. It's a solid little device that should keep you going for a while.

Soon enough, you be as hopelessly addicted as the rest of us.
    09-11-09 09:09 PM
    It does seem like a very solid tool! I was lurking here as soon as I got the Storm a few days ago. Great resources from you and others!
    09-11-09 09:11 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD