hello and thanks ahead of time to any and all that try to help me. I can't get Decktop manager to connect to my phone. I have tried off and on since i bought the phone 2 years ago. I really want to upgrade my OS. I am still running version 4.3.0.127. I have tried this on two different computers. One was my Vista laptop and the second is my XP desktop at work. Both give me the same results. When I connect the phone to the computer it shows the plug connection symbol up near the battery for about 2-3 seconds,then goes away. In desktop manager it shows that I am not connected. Any suggestions? I have tried uninstalling/reinstalling and no change. Let me know, thanks!
    Last edited by stump24; 07-08-09 at 10:19 AM.
    07-08-09 10:07 AM
    Try plugging your BB in and do the following...

XP: With your BB plugged in go to Start/My Computer/View System Information/Hardware/Device Manager and open the drop down list for Universal Serial Bus controllers then right click on BlackBerry Smartphone and uninstall then unplug the BB and plug it back in.

Vista: With your BB plugged in go to Start/Control Panel/Hardware and Sound/Device Manager and open the drop down list for Universal Serial Bus controllers then right click on BlackBerry Smartphone and uninstall then unplug the BB and plug it back in.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    07-08-09 11:14 AM
    thanks for the reply. I did as you stated and there is no blackberry smartphone listed. Any ideas why?
    07-08-09 12:05 PM
    By the way I'm using version 4.7 of the desktop manager if that matters.
    07-08-09 04:27 PM
    well I can't get this to work no matter what I do. Is there a big difference between the OS that I'm running(4.3.0.127) and what's available? If not then maybe it will make me feel better!!
    07-14-09 02:52 PM
    Lots of new features in OS 4.5. I would try uninstalling everything that's BB from your PC. Desktop Manager and Device Software. Restart your PC, and then download DM 4.6 without Media Manager and install. Then try and see if your BB connects to DM.

Some other things to try are if you have a media card in your BB, when connecting to your PC does your BB show up as a removable drive. Also, try different USB cables, ports, or a different PC.
    07-14-09 03:14 PM
    I will give this a try tomorrow am. I have tried and checked with a different item to make sure the port is working on the computer. I have tried it on two different computers also with no change. Thanks for the help.
    07-14-09 04:10 PM
    I like the mentioned idea of it showing up as a removeable drive instead of an 83xx BB. If u can identify what it's showing up as, then follow Blackngray's advice of uninstalling. Unless your copy of Windows hasn't been updated with the correct updates which I would GUESS would have been one of the large service packs (for device recognition), u should be fine. Does't really account for the Vista issue tho as it should notice it irregardless I would think.

07-14-09 04:30 PM
    Alright I tried it tonight on my home computer.(Vista) I installed desktop 4.6, still does not detect it. Same thing happens. I plug the phone in an the screen lights up and the plug icon comes on near the battery and then goes awy after about 3 seconds. The phone does not show up as a drive either. I looked in device manager and there is a "Generic USB Hub" listed. Goes away if I unplug the phone. Anymore suggestions? I'm going crazy!!!
    07-14-09 08:37 PM
    One other comment. I have not tried this recently because my laptop was having hard drive problems. I was told by the Gateway tech's that blackberry software does not play well with Vista. Does/has anyone had any problems? They reason I ask is because my laptop has been out of warranty and the last harddrive I paid for,altough I upgraded to a much better one and have not had any trouble nor do I want any trouble now that I have installed decktop manager.
    07-14-09 08:43 PM
    Give this a shot:

Go into device manager on the computer. On the bottom of the list expand the line that says Universal Serial Bus controllers. Right click on each instance of "USB Root Hub" and select properties then click the "power management" tab. Uncheck the box that says "Allow the computer to turn off this device to save power." Do that for each instance of USB Root Hub.

Then give it another go. The computer may be shutting down juice to the USB's.
    07-14-09 08:47 PM
    One other comment. I have not tried this recently because my laptop was having hard drive problems. I was told by the Gateway tech's that blackberry software does not play well with Vista. Does/has anyone had any problems? They reason I ask is because my laptop has been out of warranty and the last harddrive I paid for,altough I upgraded to a much better one and have not had any trouble nor do I want any trouble now that I have installed decktop manager.
    Haven't have any issue with BB & software and Vista.
    07-14-09 09:17 PM
    Give this a shot:

Go into device manager on the computer. On the bottom of the list expand the line that says Universal Serial Bus controllers. Right click on each instance of "USB Root Hub" and select properties then click the "power management" tab. Uncheck the box that says "Allow the computer to turn off this device to save power." Do that for each instance of USB Root Hub.

Then give it another go. The computer may be shutting down juice to the USB's.
    Thanks for the advice..I tried this and changed them all and I still have the same problem..
    07-15-09 06:22 AM
    I assume you do not have a media card installed, if that were the case, you would see the media card as a removable drive.

Your Gateway tech is well versed in the company hardware, but they don't know squat about BlackBerry. That was a brush off, IMHO.

The fact that the battery begins to charge then disconnects is unusual, and perhaps a clue to why BlackBerry Desktop Manager is not able to see your device.

The USB ports are the prime suspect, BlackBerry has published a paper dealing with USB issues. Much of the advice has already been suggested, but you can double check against this paper.

View Document

I gather you have experimented with ports and cables on two computers without results. Were they both manufactured by Gateway? There may be a connection, the USB ports are controlled by chips, not all chips are created equal.

I would be inclined to test the connection on a third computer, one produced by a different manufacture.
    07-15-09 11:10 AM
    Check the pins on your BB that the usb cord plugs into. Make sure all are pressed down, that was my problem at least....

07-15-09 12:01 PM
    I assume you do not have a media card installed, if that were the case, you would see the media card as a removable drive.

Your Gateway tech is well versed in the company hardware, but they don't know squat about BlackBerry. That was a brush off, IMHO.

The fact that the battery begins to charge then disconnects is unusual, and perhaps a clue to why BlackBerry Desktop Manager is not able to see your device.

The USB ports are the prime suspect, BlackBerry has published a paper dealing with USB issues. Much of the advice has already been suggested, but you can double check against this paper.

I gather you have experimented with ports and cables on two computers without results. Were they both manufactured by Gateway? There may be a connection, the USB ports are controlled by chips, not all chips are created equal.

I would be inclined to test the connection on a third computer, one produced by a different manufacture.
    Thanks for the tips. I actually do have a memory card in the phone and it does not detect the phone. My work computer is a dell on XP and my home is a gateway on Vista and both act the same. I left my cable at work so I will try the steps you provided tomorrow. It's almost like something on my phone is preventing it from connecting. I use the port almost every night to charge so I'm not sure if that means the port works ok. As for the other suggestion about checking the pins I looked and the are NOT all in the down postion but are shaped like this _-_ I really can't make the same shape but the are low on the left then peak at the top an then drop back down on the right.I have never looked before so I don't know if they are correct but I don't want to mess with them since I can charge with them with no problem. I appericate all the help but this is frustrating. What are my chances of me going into a Verizon store and asking them to do it? Will they?
    07-15-09 08:10 PM
    Hey, go to device manager. Then go to ports. It'll say COM4, COM5.

Something with a COM and a number. Uninstall both of those then restart your computer. Then run DM and plug your BB in. It should work. I had the same problem.
    07-16-09 07:14 AM
    I have the same issue with the wife's 8330, Quit using DM and just drag and drop.
    07-16-09 07:38 AM
    OOP's BB is not being recognized by windows so D&D won't work.
    07-16-09 07:42 AM
    Hey, go to device manager. Then go to ports. It'll say COM4, COM5.

Something with a COM and a number. Uninstall both of those then restart your computer. Then run DM and plug your BB in. It should work. I had the same problem.
    I thought we were onto something here! I tried it and kept my fingers crossed and the same thing happens!
    07-16-09 10:36 AM
    Just wanted to post a couple of the numbers that I found on the BB device manager and ask you guys if you think it's correct.
    Device manager 4.3.1.12
    BB DevMgr 4.01.3
    Rim USB serial driver 2.1.04

Under connections
    Com 1 disabled
    Com 3 disabled

Does this look correct?
    07-16-09 03:31 PM
    Any other suggestions or should I just wave the white flag?
    07-18-09 07:22 AM
    It's something with those COM's. You should install and reinstall all BB software, including all the drivers. And do a battery pull.
    07-19-09 06:30 AM
    It's something with those COM's. You should install and reinstall all BB software, including all the drivers. And do a battery pull.
    I did this and still no help!!
    07-24-09 06:21 AM
    i have the same problem, in the beginning i would plug my BB Curve(8530) in and the Mass Storage thingy would pop up, but now it doesnt it will charge threw my computer but when i open up Desktop Manager it won't recognize it's plugged it.

~Any Help?
    12-02-10 03:24 PM
26 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD