Sorry for the dumb question...

For some reason I can't connect to desktop manager. It just started over the last 2 days for no apparent reason. Thanks for the help!
    02-02-09 07:18 AM
    did you set a password on the Storm?

Did you change anything?

Have you rebooted the computer?

What have you tried to fix it?
    02-02-09 07:50 AM
    Sorry for the dumb question...

For some reason I can't connect to desktop manager. It just started over the last 2 days for no apparent reason. Thanks for the help!
    I use Vista...if my Storm refuses to connect is because BBM is running in background for what ever reason. Open Task Manager, go to Processes and close it manually. Open BBM and hook-up the Storm. It should connect now.
    02-02-09 08:20 AM
    did you set a password on the Storm?

Did you change anything?

Have you rebooted the computer?

What have you tried to fix it?
    No password

I don't think I've changed anything. I'm using Vista and it told me I had to run it as an administrator to use itunes so I'm doing that but then it stopped working.

Rebooted several times.

Uninstalled and re-installed once.

I tried looking for it running in the background and it isn't
    02-02-09 06:45 PM
    I am having this problem too. I connect to Desktop Manager daily and have never had problems until yesterday. Now when I try to connect, my BB's PIN shows in the lower left corner, but I get an error message that says "Failed to connect to the device. Please make sure the device is properly connected then try again."

Nothing's changed on the BB or my computer, I've rebooted, done battery pulls, uninstalled and reinstalled Desktop Manager, and I also checked for it running in the background as mentioned above. Nohting's worked.

I am leaving on a business trip in the morning for a week and there is stuff that I desperately need on my BB. Between this and the data outage, of which I seem to be a victim, I'm at my wit's end with my otherwise beloved Storm!!!!

I'll be watching for any more ideas here!!
    02-02-09 07:14 PM
    Mine doesn't even show a pin!
    02-02-09 07:27 PM
    When you attach to your Vista-based PC, forget the DM. When you click on My Computer or what, can you see a pair of "USB-like" drives BB1 and BB2 ? If so, you may be able to drag and drop between your Storm and your PC. If you cannot see these drives, your Vista Storm driver had become corrupted - kill it and get a fresh copy. If you can see your drives and the DM is whacky, then find a friend with a PC or use one of your other PCs to try to backup your Storm. Then nuke the DM and get a fresh copy....Good luck !

Doctor Neutron
    02-02-09 07:41 PM
    I finally figured it out...Uncheck the "run as administrator" box in properties!
    Thanks for all the help!!!
    02-02-09 08:15 PM
    properties where? I have the same problem. thanks, Anne
    02-12-09 07:50 AM
    I took mine into a USCellular store where they called IT. I was told it *could* be a pin in the USB port on the phone. But there was no way to verify it without sending my phone to RIM which would cost at least $100 - and there's no guarantee that that's even the problem. I kind of doubt that that's it because I'm always very careful plugging in the cables. Quite frustrating because I can't use the desktop manager now.
    My work-around is to use web-based calendar and email and save all my pics/music/apps/videos on the memory card.
    04-21-10 01:34 PM
    Maybe you can try to connect wireless. If you do not have bluetooth, you can buy a bluetooth dongle for about $30
    04-21-10 02:53 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD