Hi,
    I know that podtrapper has a desktop app that allows the user download podcasts via the desktop. This minimises data usage on your phone plan.
    Is it possible to download music/apps etc in a similar way? Can I connect to the web using the desktop and wifi so as to speed up the download and minimise data usage.
    Can't see if this has been asked before - looks like it has not.
    Thanks
    08-21-09 04:27 PM
    Hi,
    I know that podtrapper has a desktop app that allows the user download podcasts via the desktop. This minimises data usage on your phone plan.
    Is it possible to download music/apps etc in a similar way? Can I connect to the web using the desktop and wifi so as to speed up the download and minimise data usage.
    Can't see if this has been asked before - looks like it has not.
    Thanks

Yes, you can download music, movies, etc and then drag and drop them onto your media card with mass storage mode, or you can use media manager. To install apps you would download them and install them via desktop manager using Add/Remove applications. Not all apps are available for download though.....
    08-21-09 05:13 PM
    Lets go to 3rd Party Apps!
    08-21-09 07:18 PM
    Thanks for moving my post. However, if I had been looking for a third party app I would have posted there myself.
    My question was more general, is there any way of downloading when connected to a pc without using the cellular service. I was wondering if there was a feature of the device/software that would facilitate this.
    The method suggested does not work great with Vodafone Music Manager as the device software seems to need to manage/register the download.
    I tried it and the software did not recognise the transferred file.
    08-22-09 04:14 AM
    Why would you want to download only when you have your phone connected? isn't the point transfering music you actualy listen to, which probably you'll already have in your PC?

Like armedtank said: massive-storage mode is what you're asking for in case of music/videos, etc; and for Apps you can download the .Alx and .Cod that you'll install via desktop manager
    08-22-09 05:22 PM
    Why would you want to download only when you have your phone connected? isn't the point transfering music you actualy listen to, which probably you'll already have in your PC?
    I have my storm for 4/5 months now and have transferred my existing music and some apps via desktop manager. However, what I am asking about here is different.

My vodafone plan gives me 10 free tracks, with drm, every month. Its cumbersome trying to download load those ota and I suspect very few storm users take advantage of it because its too much bother. Vodafone's desktop music manager will let me buy and manage music but it does not seem to be able to recognise that I have free tracks.
    The free tracks seem to be only available via the phone. I can't download them to the pc and then transfer them.

I don't listen to music on the pc. I connect my storm to my car radio or to speakers and listen to the music that way.

I was just wondering if there was some way that the phone could "piggyback" the pc's broadband connection to download the music.

I think its not possible. Vodafones system is quite inflexible.
    08-23-09 11:37 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD