As promised here is the video tutorial that I promised. I hope you guys enjoy! Leave me a little feedback and let me know what you think.

Vimeo
    05-02-08 03:26 AM
    This video is protected. Can you please let me know how I can view this...
    05-02-08 12:24 PM
    This video is protected. Can you please let me know how I can view this...
    Whoops... sorry about that. Try now. I had it set to private instead of public
    05-02-08 01:36 PM
    the tutorial was GREAT! thank you. I was on the phone with vzw tech support before finding the tutorial and they said the bb couldn't be tethered to a mac. guess they're wrong.
    05-02-08 04:22 PM
    the tutorial was GREAT! thank you. I was on the phone with vzw tech support before finding the tutorial and they said the bb couldn't be tethered to a mac. guess they're wrong.
    +1 for BlondeBoy
    05-02-08 04:59 PM
    This was good, I have always wondered how this was done. I think you give some really good info that most people should be able to follow.

However...

I thought there were too many digressions. You could have cut 5 minutes out of it by not making so much commentary. Plus you might have over-explained things too much. If a tutorial is too long then I just start to glaze over. Shorter is better. Especially since you really didn't have to do any sort to trickery or hacking.

When in doubt, script it out.

But other than that I think this vid will be very useful and I will be sure to come back to it. Definitely make more of them so that we can learn from your experiences.
    05-02-08 05:45 PM
    This was good, I have always wondered how this was done. I think you give some really good info that most people should be able to follow.

However...

I thought there were too many digressions. You could have cut 5 minutes out of it by not making so much commentary. Plus you might have over-explained things too much. If a tutorial is too long then I just start to glaze over. Shorter is better. Especially since you really didn't have to do any sort to trickery or hacking.

When in doubt, script it out.

But other than that I think this vid will be very useful and I will be sure to come back to it. Definitely make more of them so that we can learn from your experiences.
    Noted... It wasnt scripted though... I just set the record to go and did my thing lol

By the way if you want more tutorials just let me know what you all want and I will see what I can do
    Last edited by BlondeBoyL; 05-02-08 at 09:35 PM.
    05-02-08 09:31 PM
    Great write up and video... i was having the hardiest time trying to tether my Verizon 8330 and after watching your video got it on the first try. Thanks alot.
    05-10-08 12:06 AM
    Hi BlondeBoyL,

The Vimeo tutorial was great. However, I couldn’t successfully tether my Pearl. Can BlackBerry Pearl 8130 tether with Mac OS X 10.5.2? – I added tethering ($15/mon) with Verizon. I went through the Vimeo tutorial. After I clicked on the little phone receiver icon -> Connect Bluetooth, I received “Internet Connect -The connection has failed. Please verify your settings and try again.” After all this, I thought I should try with cable, and I found that VZAccess software (Verizon) was not available for BlackBerry Perl 8130 with Mac OS X 10.5. What do you think?

Thank you very much for your advice.
    05-16-08 12:13 AM
    Hi BlondeBoyL,

The Vimeo tutorial was great. However, I couldn’t successfully tether my Pearl. Can BlackBerry Pearl 8130 tether with Mac OS X 10.5.2? – I added tethering ($15/mon) with Verizon. I went through the Vimeo tutorial. After I clicked on the little phone receiver icon -> Connect Bluetooth, I received “Internet Connect -The connection has failed. Please verify your settings and try again.” After all this, I thought I should try with cable, and I found that VZAccess software (Verizon) was not available for BlackBerry Perl 8130 with Mac OS X 10.5. What do you think?

Thank you very much for your advice.
    Your actualy the second person with a pearl who reported this. I am trying to see if I can find someone with a pearl so I can test it. I dont know why the pearl is being so problematic. You entered [email protected] as the username and the PW as vzw (lowercase) and the dial up number as #777?
    Last edited by BlondeBoyL; 05-16-08 at 12:53 PM.
    05-16-08 12:51 PM
    Hi BlondeBoyL,

Thank you very much for your reply.

Yes, I entered [email protected] (like [email protected]) as the username and the PW as vzw (lowercase) and the dial up number as #777.

Do I have to get some kind of Modem script or something for Mac OSX 10.5.2?

Chispa
    05-16-08 03:11 PM
    Hi BlondeBoyL,

Thank you very much for your reply.

Yes, I entered [email protected] (like [email protected]) as the username and the PW as vzw (lowercase) and the dial up number as #777.

Do I have to get some kind of Modem script or something for Mac OSX 10.5.2?

Chispa
    Nope. 10.5.2 is what I run and what I did the tutorial on. I just need to keep looking for someone with an pearl so I can figure out whats going on.

FYI if there are any marylanders in here that have one and want to help me out by letting me test this out... please IM me.
    05-16-08 05:59 PM
    doesn't seem to hold a connection with the T-mobile curve 8320.. this problem seems to be common though as noted on this site and various others.. i have used several modem scripts (not just the one on this site) and same problem with them all

perishablepress.com/press/2007/06/12/blackberry-curve-as-bluetooth-modem-for-mac/

i get a connection for about 30 seconds - 2 mins before the mac stops receiving data.. after that the mac wont even connect until i yank the battery out of the curve... i have used windows mobile (tmobile dash to be exact) for about 2 years on the mac... everything is set up correctly on the phone and on the computer... my plan has tethering turned on...
    05-18-08 03:50 AM
    Bumping this up for new people in the forum....
    05-30-08 01:25 PM
    When I pair my 8703e (with Verizon) to my macbook pro, I don't get any services to configure (the use blackberry as modem option), but looking at my plan I think I cancelled my tethering $15 a month service some time back. If I add that back in, do you happen to know if that will make that option available on the bluetooth pairing per chance?

Would be just handy to know before I pay $15 only to find out it won't work.
    06-04-08 04:14 PM
    I'm having a slightly different problem than chispa... I'm using OS X 10.5.2, a blackberry 8330 with Verizon, BBOS 4.3.0.127. When I try to connect, I get "Could not negotiate a connection with the remote PPP server. Please verify your settings and try again." Any ideas? Thanks.
    06-06-08 03:41 AM
    I'm having a slightly different problem than chispa... I'm using OS X 10.5.2, a blackberry 8330 with Verizon, BBOS 4.3.0.127. When I try to connect, I get "Could not negotiate a connection with the remote PPP server. Please verify your settings and try again." Any ideas? Thanks.
    Not a clue. People have been e-mailing me about this but I cant find anyone close to me with a curve to test a few things on. When I find someone with a curve I can test it out but all I have is an 8830 I cant do anything at the moment.
    06-06-08 05:47 AM
    I have a Curve with ATT and I can get it to work at all. It won't stay connected via BT but for about a second. I get through most of the process including entering the generated code into the phone, it links up for a second, and then drops the bluetooth connection. My Mac won't allow me fill in the password and phone number either.

Any suggestions? I called blackberry directly and they told me that BB's could not tether with Mac's. What about this video? I saw it with my own two eyes......

Please help if possible. I just bought a new Mac a couple of days ago so I'm still learning how to use this thing. So far I love it!
    06-06-08 11:39 AM
    Originally posted by BlondeBoyL
    Not a clue. People have been e-mailing me about this but I cant find anyone close to me with a curve to test a few things on. When I find someone with a curve I can test it out but all I have is an 8830 I cant do anything at the moment.
    Thanks for the help, BlondeBoyL. I'd be willing to test some things out and do some troubleshooting, but honestly, I'm new to BBs and wouldn't know where to start. Any advice on "debugging/tracing" techniques?

Lance
    06-07-08 12:29 AM
    When I pair my 8703e (with Verizon) to my macbook pro, I don't get any services to configure (the use blackberry as modem option), but looking at my plan I think I cancelled my tethering $15 a month service some time back.
    Answering myself... After calling Verizon I found I hadn't cancelled my plan, but just needed to update my phone (dialing *228) to re-enable the service, since I had replaced my phone recently when the scroll wheel stopped working. So this is working great now with my 8703e blackberry.
    06-09-08 03:39 PM
    seems like a fairly nice tutorial... really really detailed. kinda long for my liking, but will get you through all the steps.

you should assume most of us know the basics next time and then cut to the chase. other than that, it is good.

too bad I don't feel like blowing the money to pay for a slow connection over a tethered BlackBerry data connection
    06-10-08 10:31 AM
    Thanks for the help, BlondeBoyL. I'd be willing to test some things out and do some troubleshooting, but honestly, I'm new to BBs and wouldn't know where to start. Any advice on "debugging/tracing" techniques?

Lance
    Debugging isnt my thing... I just do trial and error until something works. If you live in MD or So. PA, N.VA or DC I would be happy to work with you on trying to get this thing to work.
    06-10-08 12:58 PM
    seems like a fairly nice tutorial... really really detailed. kinda long for my liking, but will get you through all the steps.

you should assume most of us know the basics next time and then cut to the chase. other than that, it is good.

too bad I don't feel like blowing the money to pay for a slow connection over a tethered BlackBerry data connection
    There are far more people that dont know the basics (Hince the need for sites like crackberry with tutorials) than there are who dont. If I assume everyone knows the basics there will always be someone who gets lost. If I cover the basics I know that as the tutorial goes on everyone is on the same page. Thanks for the comments though... I will try to make the next one shorter. I just have to figure out what I want to do next...hmmm....

Tethering a curve is on the list but I have to get a curve first to test it all out.
    06-10-08 01:01 PM
    Debugging isnt my thing... I just do trial and error until something works. If you live in MD or So. PA, N.VA or DC I would be happy to work with you on trying to get this thing to work.
    Unfortunately, I'm out in AZ. I'll probably keep doing the same. Any pointers on what sort of options you'll be fooling with, or just start poking around? Thanks again.
    06-13-08 01:57 AM
    Unfortunately, I'm out in AZ. I'll probably keep doing the same. Any pointers on what sort of options you'll be fooling with, or just start poking around? Thanks again.
    Just poke around. Its all I do and sometimes it works and sometimes I fail.
    06-18-08 08:50 PM
76 123 ...
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD