There are many threads available on this particular issue.

This NEW thread is to make you all understand that there is indeed a serious problem with BlackBerry Link, which has -- quite apparently -- been triggered by the latest Windows OS updates and, as some claim, even an iTunes SW update. You will read precisely that on various threads on the BlackBerry Community Forum, here on CrackBerry and elsewhere!

I can confirm that BlackBerry Link surely does NOT work with the Win 7 (64-bit) operating system and with the iOS X El Capitan (in particular iOS X which lets Link start but refuses to recognize BB's top OS10 devices, which it should.
    Not working with Win 7 is shocking, as BB claims it is compatible with that OS.

Now, interesting is also, that BlackBerry Link worked perfectly fine until very recently even on the Win 10 (64-bit) operating system despite BB not promising compatibility.

My BB Link desktop software is installed on:
    1. Desktop with Windows 10 Pro (64-bit) with the latest updates (DELL Precision T5610)
    2. Notebook with Windows 7 Ultimate SP1 (64-bit) with the latest updates. (SONY VGN-Z13GN)
    3. Desktop with iOS X El Capitan v. 10.11.6 with the latest updates (iMac 27" Mid. 2011). *

NOTE 1:
    Link runs on iOS X El Capitan but refuses to recognise the attached BlackBerry devices Passport or Z10 but it does charge them nevertheless.

NOTE 2:
    The latest iTunes v. 12.5.1.21 is installed on the computers in 1. and 2., above.
    You might have read on many platforms that iTunes is also influencing BB Link's running?!

NOTE 3:
    This utter FAILURE of BlackBerry Link HAS ONLY HAPPENED SOMETIME BETWEEN the 15th and 25th of September 2016, when Windows 'pushed' its latest updates onto our running systems.

I have tested every solution provided on various forums, except: I refuse to reinstall an OS to get BB Link working because that CANNOT be the solution.

My Theory:
    Both Microsoft and Apple are in the phone business. Both have 'trouble' with their marketshare. Both would love to have the additional 1% creme-de-la-creme BB smartphone users of the world on their side.
    - Remember what they did to Netscape Navigator (the best Browser back then)?
    - Remember what they did to Palm (the best PDAs ever)?

Naturally then, an ugly, strategic move by powerful, monopolistic companies can be to frustrate the hell out of us (= die-hard BB users & fans) and to finally push BlackBerry's handset division over the brim and into the abyss??

I own and use 2 BlackBerry Passport devices and 1 BlackBerry Z10 (all run BB OS10, v. 10.3.2.2836) ... I need to back them up and transfer files back and forth. This is mandatory and this makes us feel safe with our valuable and private data.

So, Mr. Chen, the question is:
    Will BlackBerry finally help with an update for their BlackBerry Link desktop software??

The big deal is:
    If BlackBerry Link, which hasn't been updated since over a year, does not get updated soon AND if our 'state-of-the-art', BB devices become redundant despite having so much life left in them THEN I will certainly have LOST TRUST in the BlackBerry brand and will not even consider moving to a BB PRIV... because tomorrow Mr. Chen & his gang will let us hang again!!

Utterly disgusted with BlackBerry not having done a thing about this issue in 14+ days, I am livid!
    What a waste of our time, especially considering that these are supposed to be products to increase our "productivity" (yeah, right!!).
    horia_m likes this.
    09-26-16 04:55 AM
    You're so right dear:
    Link was working until the latest windows 10 update ; I tried to back up my device during weekend & Link pathetically failed to recognise it...
    Shame !

Z30, STA100-2 /10.3.2.2836
    09-26-16 05:11 AM
    You have expressed my feelings perfectly, I have been a loyal Blackberry business user for 15 years and I to am so deeply discussed by the lack of support. I did a full windows reset to finally get Link working again but as I said in my last thread I will never do that again. I will not support purchasing another Blackberry phone over this, so Mr Chen fix your product with a update!!
    AjoyEricLal and Jayasheelan like this.
    09-26-16 06:09 AM
    There are rumors and some corresponding reports in the market from which we may derive the inference that we are the last ones and that we will become a dying breed of users that gave over a decade of allegiance to this great Canadian company called RIM with its products called BlackBerry.

Rumor: BlackBerry Closing Hardware Business Next Week | Androidheadlines.com

If this is all true AND Research in Motion (RIM) is only going to concentrate on software, then their CEO, Mr. Chen and his gang should have the decency to at least update critical software, so that we can accompany these last great OS10 products (Passport, Classic, Z10, etc.) to the end of their life-cycles... to their eWaste graves, so-to-speak.

If RIM is to remain a software company only then they should please fix the BlackBerry Link Desktop Software for us AND come out with a final OS10 update AND maybe even an Android Release for the Passport, Z10, etc. We should not need the great Snap App anymore.

Bridge it for us, Mr. Chen, so we can all become SAMSUNG fans... it's headed in that direction anyways, isn't it?
    09-26-16 07:40 AM
    There are many threads available on this particular issue.
    NOTE 3:
    This utter FAILURE of BlackBerry Link HAS ONLY HAPPENED SOMETIME BETWEEN the 15th and 25th of September 2016, when Windows 'pushed' its latest updates onto our running systems.
    Utterly disgusted with BlackBerry not having done a thing about this issue in 14+ days, I am livid!
    What a waste of our time, especially considering that these are supposed to be products to increase our "productivity" (yeah, right!!).
    You must be a mind reader because I�ve experienced the exact same problems here. I�m running Windows 7 Pro SP1. Windows Update log shows a lot of stuff came through on 9/14, just after Patch Tuesday. Several of those updates remove the Windows 10 malware installers.

I was using Blackberry Link for backups and media (photos) sync, and just about the same time, all of my RIM desktop software stopped working. Blackberry Link crashes on startup, and Blackberry Blend can�t connect to my device via USB. I can access the flash and SD memory as usual, but BB is telling me to disconnect from VPN. Not possible since I�m not running on VPN. Error comes faster if using Wi-Fi.
    AjoyEricLal likes this.
    09-26-16 09:12 AM
    If anyone is still tracking the Blackberry Link crash issue on Windows 7, here are the crash details I have. The crash details never change each time Link crashes:

Problem signature:
    Problem Event Name: CLR20r3
    Problem Signature 01: BlackBerryLink.exe
    Problem Signature 02: 1.2.4.39
    Problem Signature 03: 55637b50
    Problem Signature 04: System.Xml
    Problem Signature 05: 4.6.1085.0
    Problem Signature 06: 57a4fd1e
    Problem Signature 07: 9c7
    Problem Signature 08: 9
    Problem Signature 09: JWKKKB5PO10PJMBGMN2EITFT40TZNMHV
    OS Version: 6.1.7601.2.1.0.256.48
    Locale ID: 1033
    Additional Information 1: 0a9e
    Additional Information 2: 0a9e372d3b4ad19135b953a78882e789
    Additional Information 3: 0a9e
    Additional Information 4: 0a9e372d3b4ad19135b953a78882e789
    horia_m likes this.
    09-26-16 09:45 AM
    So bad, so sad... Seems BlackBerry's forcing us long time loyalists into either Android or iOS !

Z30, STA100-2 /10.3.2.2836
    AjoyEricLal likes this.
    09-26-16 09:55 AM
    Good thing I found this post. I usually backup my BlackBerry PPSE on my W10 laptop about once a month until my device was not recognized the other day. No particular error message though, while the only recommendation the app gave was to wipe my BlackBerry and reset to factory settings. Although that was what I really wanted to do, I can't and won't do that without a decent backup.
    Hope this gets fixed soon, being that BlackBerry is gearing towards software.

Posted via CB10
    09-26-16 09:49 PM
    Since problems with BlackBerry Link are being confirmed on various Microsoft Windows and Apple iOS systems on diverse platforms & forums... here's another thing that many of us can try BEFORE FINALLY CHUCKING OUR BlackBerry HABITS ...
    (Remember: BlackBerry Passport, BlackBerry Z10, etc. still have some life left in them and we do need our ROI guaranteed!)

If you have the luxury of possessing an older laptop or computer and it is just lying around, you can synchronize your data and make your backups via that device and the current, August 2015 version of BlackBerry Link.

I used an old Windows XP Professional SP3 (fully updated) laptop for this purpose because I am sure that Microsoft will not meddle with that version of their OS anymore.

- I cleaned the laptop completely, i.e. uninstalled some older, lesser known softwares.
    - I uninstalled iTunes, QuickTime Player, etc. (basically all Apple Products, lest they try to update themselves and mess it all up again).
    - Conducted a few manual checks for registry entries and redundant folders.
    RESTARTED
    - Ran CCleaner (v. 5.22.5724, latest) just to be absolutely sure.
    - Sped up the system with TuneUp Utilities 2011 (v. 10.0.4500.46)
    RESTARTED
    - Installed the latest version of BlackBerry Link (v. 1.2.0.52.B59 of August 7th, 2015 -- the latest available version!!)

BlackBerry Link worked like it should.
    Now, this laptop, also equipped with the latest Norton 360 Software is attached to my LAN and I use it only for updating, synchronising and migrating BlackBerry smartphones. To be on the safest side (lest XP Pro SP3 crashes or 'they' push a bug onto it too), I back up on an external Western Digital MyPassport drive to stay flexible just in case I need to fly to Mars to keep my BB data absolutely safe and usable.

What a regressive solution to still be able to continue with RIM's BlackBerry products and Mr. Chen's whims & fancies!!
    09-27-16 02:05 AM
    There seem to be 2 issues with Blackberry Link:

1) Blackberry Link crashes on startup of Link

2) Link starts fine, but when you connect your BB10 device via USB, it is not recognized by Link.

I had problem 2). It happened when I installed iTunes 12.5.1.21. Here is how I solved it on Windows 10:

Uninstall iTunes
    Uninstall Apple Application Support (32-Bit)
    Uninstall Apple Application Support (64-Bit)
    Uninstall Apple Mobile Device Support
    Uninstall Apple Software Update
    Uninstall Bonjour
    Uninstall Blackberry Link

Restart your computer

Install Blackberry Link (Just the Drivers and Blackberry Link, not Blend). File name:
    BlackBerryDesktopSoftware_1.2.0.52_B59.exe

It worked for me afterwards. I am a happy bunny. You just can't have iTunes and Link on the same computer anymore.
    Smudger67 likes this.
    09-27-16 02:31 AM
    Yikes, @freakinvibe ... I get what you wrote above and take it very seriously:

You just can't have iTunes and Link on the same computer anymore.
    This error in conjunction SPECIFICALLY with iTunes has been reported before on some forums and even on this thread. If it should turn out that this 'malfunction' of BlackBerry Link is indeed triggered by a bug planted into some iTunes update, then it will be scandalous.
    - I am speculating here BUT could this indeed be an attempt by Apple to frustrate the last of us into submission and force us to shift (they wish!!) to Apple?
    - Is some competent authority also looking into this possibility of sabotage?

Conversely, there have been enough reports that the crash happened AFTER Windows installed its most recent updates on all its newer running systems, incl. Windows 10, Windows 8 and even Windows 7. This happened [mostly] between the 15th and the 25th of September, as all reports suggest.
    09-27-16 08:23 AM
    I don't think it was sabotage by iTunes. But both programs install USB drivers, network services etc., so it is most probably just co-incidence that this happened.
    09-27-16 08:40 AM
    Vielleicht ist es so ... maybe it is just that ...

I wish that BlackBerry, since it wishes to stay in the hardware business until at least 31.03.2017 (March 31st, 2017), will patch their software to counter whatever the real cause is (I am sure that Apple's iTunes will not be interested in 'fixing' their software!).

We need 2 main updates soon:
    1. BlackBerry Link
    2. BlackBerry 10 OS

Since you are well-versed in all things connected with BlackBerrys, dear @freakinvibe, can you also imagine that the current, top-of-the-line BlackBerry OS10 devices might even get an Android like software, closer to what runs the BB PRIV, just before BB says bye-bye to the handset/ hardware business?
    (I ask this because it seems inevitable that we might not be able to extract our full return on our investments with these smartphones! The Passport, for example, has so much life left in it unless of course the software kills it!)
    09-27-16 11:03 AM
    Just read another thread on:
    "The Android Passport has Arrived!" ... it's here on CrackBerry!

Even if that were to happen, are there any solutions yet on how to get BlackBerry Link to work on Windows 7 SP1 at least?
    BlackBerry has always claimed that their software "BlackBerry Link" is compatible with Windows 7... which would mean that THEY WILL HAVE TO RELEASE A NEW, UPDATED VERSION of it soon!
    09-27-16 11:15 AM
    Sadly didn't work on Windows 7.
    09-27-16 07:22 PM
    What is a "full windows reset"?
    09-29-16 04:58 PM
    My Link starts and runs fine, but it does not recognize any devices attached to my laptop via USB.

I do have iTunes installed as well, but never had any issues (besides the fact that Link just sucks in general LOL). My problem just started after the last (and large) Windows 10 update was installed.
    09-29-16 05:19 PM
    Everyone seems to be having slightly different experiences here. I uninstalled Link and rebooted the computer. I then reinstalled Link (without Blend) and that seems to have done the trick. My Passport is now seen when connected and I'm running a backup now.
    09-29-16 06:41 PM
    I upgraded to Sierra on my Macbook Air yesterday; as a result, my laptop no longer recognises my Classic via Link or Blend.
    09-29-16 10:37 PM
    I have exactly the same problem already mentioned thousands of times. BlackBerry Link simply does NOT work in a Windows environment. My solution? I am throwing away my trusty (no longer) BlackBerry 10 and buying a Google Nexus (Android) phone. The shocking refusal of BlackBerry to address this issue is another one of hundreds of reasons for people to dump BlackBerry and why BlackBerry is doing lousy these days. And one can see that being acknowledged - by BlackBerry itself, now announcing it will no longer build its own devices. So what makes it think that it can survive on software, when it cannot even fix its BlackBerry Link software issue?

Yes, this step means emailing myself about 300 photos, since they no longer sync with my primary laptop. And writing down manually all of my contacts and "Remember" notes. Oh well.

Good-bye BlackBerry. It was a nice ride for 3 years.
    10-02-16 01:01 PM
    Hi!

Thanks to your hint, I have now de-installed all the more than superfluous Apple software from my PC !

Re-installing BlackberryLink didn't do the trick though! It crashes when loading.
    I guess we'll just have to go with the slow but certain death of BB OS10 ...
    10-02-16 02:29 PM
    I have BlackBerry link on my HP Envy laptop running Windows 10, just backed up my Passport 4 days ago with not one hiccup. I sincerely hope it doesn't quit on me.

Posted via CB10
    10-02-16 02:52 PM
    There seem to be 2 issues with Blackberry Link:

1) Blackberry Link crashes on startup of Link

2) Link starts fine, but when you connect your BB10 device via USB, it is not recognized by Link.

I had problem 2). It happened when I installed iTunes 12.5.1.21. Here is how I solved it on Windows 10:

Uninstall iTunes
    Uninstall Apple Application Support (32-Bit)
    Uninstall Apple Application Support (64-Bit)
    Uninstall Apple Mobile Device Support
    Uninstall Apple Software Update
    Uninstall Bonjour
    Uninstall Blackberry Link

Restart your computer

Install Blackberry Link (Just the Drivers and Blackberry Link, not Blend). File name:
    BlackBerryDesktopSoftware_1.2.0.52_B59.exe

It worked for me afterwards. I am a happy bunny. You just can't have iTunes and Link on the same computer anymore.
    That's not an acceptable solution for me. I have to have both on the same machine.
    10-02-16 05:28 PM
    Everyone seems to be having slightly different experiences here. I uninstalled Link and rebooted the computer. I then reinstalled Link (without Blend) and that seems to have done the trick. My Passport is now seen when connected and I'm running a backup now.
    I tried your suggestion. Blend was working, but Link was dead. I completely removed everything, rebooted, and then found NOTHING would reinstall. Error displayed was:

"An error occurred during the installation of the software
    A problem occurred. Please try to download the software again."

Had to deselect Link and Blend to install the drivers only.

Very bad advice. Don't do this unless all you want to do is waste your time.
    10-02-16 05:43 PM
    BlackBerry Link ... non-functional on Win 7, Win 10 and iOS X (El Capitan)-link.jpg

unfortunate, is there any alternative?!
    type to make backup?!
    need to restore my blackberry 10.
    from Brazil
    10-04-16 04:40 PM
33 12