Rookie questions I'm afraid...A Blackberry 8700c (AT&T) landed in my lap just as my Treo was dying. The boffins in my IT enabled it and I was going along my merry way with the simple, required 4-digit password to unlock.

Tonight I decided I need to be sure I had the latest Blackberry OS, so I downloaded Desktop Manager 4.5. When I start the phone it tells me to enter "blackberry" then asks for the Device Password. I've tried the 4-digit code, I've tried blackberry and I've tried my work password (thinking t might have migrated somehow) and now I have one try left before the thing gets wiped.

SO I am pleading for help with four issues:

1. Is there a universal, initial Device Password ("DP")?
    2. If not, any suggestions about where to find my DP?
    3. Why did a DP show up to begin with?
    4. If my IT folks set this up, should I really be using the desktop management software?

Thanks folks for helping out a rookie.
    08-07-08 10:38 PM
    Usually.. the Desktop manager require a password when there is a password set on the device. So you best bet is to ask the IT folks that set it up.. what the pass is. They might have some passwd set.
    08-07-08 10:52 PM
    Usually.. the Desktop manager require a password when there is a password set on the device. So you best bet is to ask the IT folks that set it up.. what the pass is. They might have some passwd set.
    Found the answer on the Blackberry site. I "knew" it was numerical, but it wasn't--it was the letters associated with the numbers.
    08-07-08 10:56 PM
    Hi, I am having the same problem, how did you fix it?
    10-20-08 11:43 PM
    The 'numerical' thing is what solved it for me.
    I was using a number sequence as my password.
    Only thing is that I was not doing Alt-w-e-r (etc)
    I was just typing in the letters, thinking they were the numbers.
    So when you get to typing the password from your desktop PC, you *think* the number sequence will work but you actually have to type in the letter equivalents of those numbers from your BB keypad

So if you had pw=123 (without tapping Alt first) then your pw=wer
    21_Baba_21 and ocavinya like this.
    11-18-08 04:33 PM
    Thank you! I was having the same issue. I appreciate your fix!!!
    11-24-08 08:53 AM
    The 'numerical' thing is what solved it for me.
    I was using a number sequence as my password.
    Only thing is that I was not doing Alt-w-e-r (etc)
    I was just typing in the letters, thinking they were the numbers.
    So when you get to typing the password from your desktop PC, you *think* the number sequence will work but you actually have to type in the letter equivalents of those numbers from your BB keypad

So if you had pw=123 (without tapping Alt first) then your pw=wer
    Thank you SO MUCH!!!!! I just had the same problem and was about to go nuts cause there was only 1 more time left for me to put the password before I lose everything!!! Thank you thank you thank you!!! I will propose a toast for you tonight ufffffffffffffff
    09-05-09 04:57 PM
    Thanks, makes sense, I was on 8 attempts out of 10 and started to panic. Couldn't figure out why my numerical password wasn't working.
    11-27-09 03:52 PM
    I too was "stuck" trying every password I could think of, and this solved that problem!!

01-11-10 05:07 PM
    omg, thanks so much! i as scared cause i was running out of attempts!

awesome
    03-02-10 10:44 AM
    Thank you so so so much emagin!
    Great minds think alike.
    05-15-10 09:39 PM
    Ok so I understand that I need to use the alpha value of the key and not the numeric value but does anyone know what the actuall value is of the 0 key ? one more attempt and I will losse my data! PLEASE HELP
    06-24-10 11:20 PM
    I called Sprint 3 times, spent several hours on the phone and we got all the way to 9 out of 10 tries before my phone would lock up! They told me it was absolutely nothing they could do to save my contacts...Thanks to your advice I saved my contacts from the black hole of deletion!!!
    06-28-10 09:31 PM
    kindly help....am using bold8700 but am trying to upgrade its os but the desktop requires a device password...i have tried all the passwords i know and still non is working.
    i have one try remaining before all data is erased....kindly help on what i can do
    08-21-15 12:08 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD