Sorry if this has been asked before...

Just wondered if anyone knew how to get the Blackberry Desktop Manager 4.7 working on a netbook? Obviously I can't stick the cd in so I downloaded it but now when I try to get to my media files, it tells me to change the screen resolution. But annoyingly it seems like I can't change that on Windows 7... Can I do anything to change it or download another programme?

Any ideas? Thanks in advance.

Bernie.
    11-29-09 01:38 PM
    You cant change the screen resolution on Windows7, or you cant change it to match what they want it to be?
    11-29-09 01:42 PM
    i hope you get your answer. i am looking at netbooks now and i assumed i could load Desktop Manager fine on it.
    11-29-09 01:42 PM
    I've seen this problem with installers for several different programs. Seems like some installers require a minimum screen resolution, even if the programs they are actually installing dont care. Many netbooks have a lower vertical screen resolution than what the installers want (e.g. 640x400 instead of 640x480)

The easy solution is to connect the netbook to an external monitor, turn off the netbooks INTERNAL screen (so your resolution can be set higher than the netbook screen will allow), then do the software installation.

once installed, disconnect the external monitor & make sure the software that was installed (e.g. desktop manager) will run properly at the lower resolution. (I've done this w/ DM and it works fine after it's been installed).
    11-30-09 03:22 PM
    No, can't change resoloutions for some reason (and unrelated but annoyed me, using Windows7, you can't change your desktop background - stays as Microsofts logo)

Thanks a lot for the help, it seemed to work from linking it through an external monitor. Now it runs fine :-)

Thanks again!
    12-01-09 03:02 PM
    I'm just gonna load mine on my computer at work if I have the proper permissions that is. I don't want to get an external monitor solely so I can use my desktop manager.
    03-26-10 02:32 PM
    Not a problem for me, since I always make sure I have a spare monitor, but is it really too much hassle to undo your monitor cable, more than going through your work setup? Anyway, I've been having the same issue, will give this a go. Thanks for the info.
    03-30-10 04:57 PM
    He must have Win 7 Starter. The Starter version of Win7 doesn't let you adjust screen resolution or change the background. This is a little ********, but it makes sense when they explain why [or lie about] why they did it. According to Microsoft, the new shell they used to make those functions work is HUGE! WAYYYY too big to be run on an Atom processor. So they stripped it for the sake or performance.

The kicker here is that I upgraded to the Home Professional version and it hasn't cause any problems whatsoever. I haven't seen any downside to this, so I would recommend upgrading to the Home Premium and solving the issue for yourself.

You can get any type of code anywhere online and do an Anytime Upgrade right from your netbook.
    04-09-10 06:44 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD