I've been using my 8330 for about six months and have not installed the Desktop Manager because I don't see that it offers me anything useful. I synch everything through Google so I don't use the calendar, tasks in fact, I don't want to keep my Bb dependent on my laptop, otherwise--what's the point of mobility? Music is dragged on to my Bb by USB cable or bluetooth from a PC--if there's a new song I have to have. Updates? I get emails about that and there's an OTA link... so... what am I missing out by not installing the Desktop manager?

I'm asking this because someone just advised me to do it and I told him that it's pointless. He connects to it every night--I don't know why and frankly, neither did he.

Thanks.
    10-02-09 03:24 PM
    In addition to its sync functions (memo??), it also back ups your BB so in case you lost its settings, they could be restored. Themes, Password Keeper, bookmarks, etc. Or even if you lost your BB and got another - you could restore stuff to a replacement unit.

But clearly backing up is a personal preference.

I don't do it every night but whenever....
    10-02-09 03:32 PM
    Ok so here is what exactly is happening:
    I connect my 8900 to the comp and start the update process. It'll get about 30-40% done and when it hits "Backing up 'WAP Push Messages'" I get the "BlackBerry Desktop Manager failed to update your BlackBerry device." box 1 and behind it box 2 saying "BlackBerry Desktop Manager could not download the required files. There may be a problem with your network connection or the server is not responding. Please try again later."

I don't get it. Then I go back to my phone and my wireless signal is "Off". So i have to restore wireless connection. IDK what is going on. Anyone care to help out?

Thanks
    10-02-09 03:32 PM
    DM is also used to activate a bb on a BES. For most users, I would think the backup function is the most important feature of DM.
    10-02-09 03:42 PM
    Ok so here is what exactly is happening:
    I connect my 8900 to the comp and start the update process. It'll get about 30-40% done and when it hits "Backing up 'WAP Push Messages'" I get the "BlackBerry Desktop Manager failed to update your BlackBerry device." box 1 and behind it box 2 saying "BlackBerry Desktop Manager could not download the required files. There may be a problem with your network connection or the server is not responding. Please try again later."

I don't get it. Then I go back to my phone and my wireless signal is "Off". So i have to restore wireless connection. IDK what is going on. Anyone care to help out?

Thanks
    You may get more help if you started a new thread for this as it really doesn't have anything to do with the original post...

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    10-02-09 04:01 PM
    Definitely for backups!

Secondarily for installing "non-official" updates and/or Operating System(s).

After not backing up for over a month, then having to wipe my Berry and reinstall the OS and all settings (outdated), I backup every couple of days now.
    10-02-09 09:42 PM
    Not "hijacking" anyones thread. Just trying to get some help on the subject of Desktop Manager for mac is all cause no one seems to know about the issue. Don't worry about it, I'll find help somewhere else. Maybe I should of made it a little more clear on the subject so I will go make another thread about it.
    10-03-09 01:03 PM
    HELP! i keep trying to sync my itunes but it says my mass storage is turned off. i check it and it says it is ON but it wont register for the computer…what do i do? I have a mac and just downloaded the new desktop software. The Calendar and Contacts work fine, but it wont let me do the music because it says mass storage isnt turned on, but it IS.
    10-03-09 05:55 PM
    I use DM for doing backups and for updating certainly parts of the native software.
    10-03-09 06:13 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD