Hi everyone, long-time lurker who's learned a lot, first problem big enough to post about - here's my notes, hope they make sense. And yes, I've searched, and searched... I've found many posts on DM locking during some stage of the sync but in my case it doesn't even launch so I can't get in to check/change any settings. Sure would appreciate any ideas. Will fax a chili donut to anyone who can help! Here goes:

Installed 5.0.328 on phone (Storm1) and 5.0.1 DM on desktop. 5.0.328 seems to have installed ok on phone, no problems there.

DM no longer connects, immediately upon launch issues message:
    "Before you begin, verify that your current Blackberry device is connected to your computer."
    If phone is then plugged in, or is already plugged in when launching DM, error
    "Blackberry Desktop Manager has stopped working." Only option is to Close Program.
    No PIN shown.

uninstalled DM per Doc ID: KB02206
    http: //tinyurl.com /mujo4k
    including uninstalling RIM Virtual Ports
    Reinstalled alternately 5.0 DM (both 500_b028_multilanguage.exe and 5_1_.0.0_Release021_multilanguage.exe) and 5.0.1 DM (501_b030_english.exe).
    When 5.0 DM is used PIN *can* be seen in lower corner of DM, no other differences.
    AntiVirus disabled, Admin acct.
    Also reran device 5.0.328 install (9530AMEA_PBr5_1_.0.0_rel508_PL4.2.0.128_A5.0.0.32 8.exe).
    When trying 5.0.328 device upgrade from web ( http: //worldwide.blackberry.com /update /blackberrystorm.jsp ) Application Loader starts then returns "A fatal error has occured while updating your device's software. Please try again." The same thing happens when running Loader.exe directly, in both cases crash occurs on 3rd pass ("reading device service information").

Computer has worked with 4.6 (?), 4.7 and 5.0 DM and last two 4.7.x (.75 & .148?) OS's.

Tried different USB ports, cables. No charging problems.

Tried Bluetooth as connection method as well on suspicion of USB issue- no change.

Roxio Media Manager works fine.

Phone is set to
    Media Transfer Protocol ON
    Mass Storage Mode Support ON
    Auto-enable Mass Storage Mode when connected NO

Auto-play/Windows Explorer now shows "Device Memory" and "Media Card" under "BlackBerry 9530" instead of G: and I: -? not 100% positive about this.
    11-03-09 11:40 PM
    I am having the same problem with my 9530.
    11-04-09 01:47 AM
    I too have been having the same exact problem. USB, BlueTooth...doesn't matter. Screen goes gray, looks like it's about to connect then BAM!

I've searched high and low, checked the drivers. Tried to see if it was a USB power issue, searched every forum I could find. Google, Bing, BB...I'm fresh out of ideas. I've installed and re-installed DM three times.....quite a time investment.

The last time I had a successful connection was during the OS 5.0 upgrade...hmmm...
    11-04-09 02:58 AM
    Gawain,
    Yes, that's exactly what's happening! I forgot to mention this was Vista SP2 - true also in your case or not? Yes I also reinstalled DM (5.0 and 5.0.1) many times as well as reinstalling USB drivers. My last connection was also at the time I (seemingly successfully) upgraded the phone to 5.0.238. At that time I of course immediately did a backup but I've noticed the .ipd is less than 1/4 the size it should be and no .cab file was created. I'd restore a last good 4.7 backup and try again, even, if only I could...<g> Sure hope we find a solution, thanks for your reply.
    11-04-09 07:52 AM
    Gawain,
    Yes, that's exactly what's happening! I forgot to mention this was Vista SP2 - true also in your case or not? Yes I also reinstalled DM (5.0 and 5.0.1) many times as well as reinstalling USB drivers. My last connection was also at the time I (seemingly successfully) upgraded the phone to 5.0.238. At that time I of course immediately did a backup but I've noticed the .ipd is less than 1/4 the size it should be and no .cab file was created. I'd restore a last good 4.7 backup and try again, even, if only I could...<g> Sure hope we find a solution, thanks for your reply.
    No, I'm running Windows 7. I really don't think this is an Windows issue. I think this is a DM issue relative to the OS 5.0 install on the device, but until now, I've not seen anyone else having the same problems. I'm going to go to the support forums at BlackBerry and see if it catches anyone's interest. I'm going to plagarize your OP in the process.

I'm also going to see if I can connect on my old XP machine and see what happens there.
    11-04-09 09:40 AM
    No, I'm running Windows 7. I really don't think this is an Windows issue. I think this is a DM issue relative to the OS 5.0 install on the device, but until now, I've not seen anyone else having the same problems. I'm going to go to the support forums at BlackBerry and see if it catches anyone's interest. I'm going to plagarize your OP in the process.

I'm also going to see if I can connect on my old XP machine and see what happens there.
    Well, I'll keep searching and experimenting as well, between the two of us we might get somewhere. The only other thing I can think to add is when I go into Blackberry Device Manager it lists the device as connected then below that it lists a com port (and lists it as disabled) that doesn't jive with the two RIM Virtual ports listed in Windows Device Manager, and this is something that can't be changed from there.

Thanks again for your feedback,
    11-04-09 10:31 AM
    It is happening on my XP machine running an older .141/5.0.0.93[9000] Hybrid (BETA) on the device itself. I thought it may be because I was running the Hybrid but apparently that may not be the case if you two are having the same issue on an official device OS.

I am just wanting to upgrade my device to the latest OS before I switch to the Motorola Droid on Friday. That way I can sell my Storm w/ the latest OS on it. I think I will take it into a VZW store and see if they can upgrade the OS for me.
    11-04-09 11:44 AM
    It is happening on my XP machine running an older .141/5.0.0.93[9000] Hybrid (BETA) on the device itself. I thought it may be because I was running the Hybrid but apparently that may not be the case if you two are having the same issue on an official device OS.

I am just wanting to upgrade my device to the latest OS before I switch to the Motorola Droid on Friday. That way I can sell my Storm w/ the latest OS on it. I think I will take it into a VZW store and see if they can upgrade the OS for me.
    You can't do an OTA upgrade?
    11-04-09 12:45 PM
    Well, I'll keep searching and experimenting as well, between the two of us we might get somewhere. The only other thing I can think to add is when I go into Blackberry Device Manager it lists the device as connected then below that it lists a com port (and lists it as disabled) that doesn't jive with the two RIM Virtual ports listed in Windows Device Manager, and this is something that can't be changed from there.

Thanks again for your feedback,
    I just finished trying to link my 9530 to my DM on my XP machine. DM is v.5.0.0.11.

Immediately, I had Visual C++ Runtime error "C:" Then the error screen, and forced shut down of DM.

I'm updating it to 5.0.1.whatever now, and going to see what happens next.
    11-04-09 12:58 PM
    Well I was able to use Desktop Manager 5.0 on another computer also running XP so i think the problem is machine specific. I was able to back-up and update the device OS without a problem on my Desktop. Just the laptop was having the problem it seems.
    11-04-09 01:41 PM
    I'm finding myself in the same boat.

A few weeks ago I upgraded my Storm to 5.0.0.230. About a week and a half or so after I did the upgrade, when I tried to connect to the computer (Vista laptop), DM would crash, exactly as described above. Mine however, seemed to be phone specific -- I loaded DM on a different computer (XP desktop) and it crashed as well.

I eventually was able to wipe the phone use JL_Cmdr and load up the official .328 OS from VZW. Problem solved! Until today.

Same exact symptoms -- connect the Storm and DM crashes. I have a BB Bold that I was able to connect successfully on the same computer, so that leads me to believe its something with the phone itself.

The only similarity between the two instances is the rough time similarity (about a week and a half or so of proper syncing before DM starts crashing). I didn't make any changes to the phone -- just typical email and PIM usage.

Until now, the phone has been great -- I'm wondering if its time to chalk it up to something wrong and going for something new.

Anyone with any ideas?

Thanks

Rob
    11-04-09 08:30 PM
    I've got a case number with RIM, but it's going to be a day or two before I can devote the time to run through the mill with them. One guy was very helpful, noting to me that we was successfully running DM on Windows 7 (64-bit). Hopefully, we'll be able to pick up where we left off and find a solution. It's going to take a few hours minimum though.
    11-05-09 01:39 AM
    Update, add'l info:

I've loaded the 5.0.328 device OS image and 5.0.1 desktop mgr. on a second computer, with XP intead of Vista.
    Upon DM Launch (with phone plugged in):
    Microsoft Visual C++ Runtime Library window, with message:
    "Runtime Error!
    Program C:...
    The application has requested the Runtime to terminate it in an unusual way. Please contact the application's support team for more information."
    Click OK and error "Blackberry Desktop Manager has encountered a problem and needs to close. We are sorry for the inconvenience...
    then the send/don't send to Microsoft option.
    When Loader.exe is started manually, Application Loader starts then returns
    "A fatal error has occured while updating your device's software. Please try again."
    Tried regsvr32 /u "c:\program files\common files\microsoft shared\dao\dao360.dll”
    then regsvr32 "c:\program files\common files\microsoft shared\dao\dao360.dll” per
    http://forums.crackberry.com/f52/run...-4-2-sp2-2424/
    no Runtime error now but still got "Blackberry Desktop Manager has encountered a problem..." error

FYI...
    11-05-09 01:01 PM
    Update, add'l info:

I've loaded the 5.0.328 device OS image and 5.0.1 desktop mgr. on a second computer, with XP intead of Vista.
    Upon DM Launch (with phone plugged in):
    Microsoft Visual C++ Runtime Library window, with message:
    "Runtime Error!
    Program C:...
    The application has requested the Runtime to terminate it in an unusual way. Please contact the application's support team for more information."
    Click OK and error "Blackberry Desktop Manager has encountered a problem and needs to close. We are sorry for the inconvenience...
    then the send/don't send to Microsoft option.
    When Loader.exe is started manually, Application Loader starts then returns
    "A fatal error has occured while updating your device's software. Please try again."
    Tried regsvr32 /u "c:\program files\common files\microsoft shared\dao\dao360.dll�
    then regsvr32 "c:\program files\common files\microsoft shared\dao\dao360.dll� per
    http://forums.crackberry.com/f52/run...-4-2-sp2-2424/
    no Runtime error now but still got "Blackberry Desktop Manager has encountered a problem..." error

FYI...
    I had the same problem on my XP machine, plus a C++ Visual Runtime error. My ticket with RIM is still open, but my last conversation with the guy, he told me he was running DM with Win 7 and no issues. I just haven't had enough time to run through every idea, so we're picking up again tomorrow.
    11-06-09 12:51 AM
    A few more details, and thoughts:
    I've noticed on both these computers (again, Vista 32 & XP) that when I navigate over to the "Media Card" (using Windows Explorer)
    it list two copies of every file. I am not kidding! This is not true under "Device Memory." Also, occasionally, about 1 time in 20, and not predictably reproducible,
    I will get the error when plugging in the USB that it's not a legit USB and that the phone won't charge - however, it does charge. I've seen other threads
    from people with this same error (even on car chargers) since upgrading Storms to 5.0.
    Also-just as a test of the phone's interaction with the computer, and to see if there was any way it could help-
    I downloaded the Blackberry Swiss Army Knife program. It will: see the PIN#, grab a Screen Shot & perform a Backup Apps. However, if I start its "Load OS" function,
    which seems to just trigger RIM's (correct me if I'm wrong), it shows no connected device/port, whereas manually launching RIM's Loader.exe
    does in fact display the USB:PIN#. As mentioned above however, even RIM's errors out at a later stage.
    Not sure what some of this means, just tossing it out there.

I may not be the most expert phone diagnostician but the fact that this fails on two computers with a Desktop Manager version that has probably
    been loaded by a gazillion users indicates that this problem is on the phone. As mentioned, however, the phone itself has been acting fine
    since its 5.0.328 upgrade, in fact I'm loving it. I just can no longer sync with my Outlook (bad) or back up (scary).

I am ashamed to admit how much time I've spent on this. I am to the point where I'll wipe and reinstall the phone but alas...
    if I can't connect through DM then how am I to do that?
    11-06-09 08:56 AM
    Rats, reading my own post about the Media Card (a 16GB Sandisk bought shortly after phone purchase)
    got me thinking that maybe the problem was in the Card, screwy FAT table or something - so I a.swapped it for the original (and empty) 8GB Sandisk, and
    b. booted with no card at all (battery pulls each time). No joy...
    11-06-09 09:29 AM
    *****RESOLVED*****

The issue was with the Device OS, stemming from the 5.0.0.328 upgrade.

Solution:

Clean install and selective restore of the backed up databases (address-book, etc). Since I had not been able to back anything up, this meant I lost a few messages and call logs, and one or two contacts.

How it was done (I did all this while on the phone with RIM):

1. Downloaded the latest OS off of VZWs web-site.
    2. Ran the update without DM being open.
    3. Opened APP loaded directly from the directory (Win 7): C:\Program Files\Common Files\Research In Motion\AppLoader
    4. Plugged in the Device -- Here we received an error and had to restart app loader. It read the Device PIN, and USB, but jammed. Pull the battery off the device, restart AppLoader, plug in the device (sans battery), immediately upon seeing "USB Unknown" click "Next"
    5. Wipe and install.

We then awaited for the device to reinitialize (much longer than a normal battery pull). Keeping the device plugged in the whole time.

Upon reinitialization, we started Desktop Manager.

Desktop manager started, and registered the device without incident (on both the Windows 7 machine and the XP machine).

From there, we selectively reinstalled the databases (address book, calendar, memos, tasks, etc.). None of the files listed as "Options" though.

Now, I simply have to download and reinstall the apps I've acquired over time, most of which I can get from App World.

NOTICE: My list may be incomplete as I didn't log this as we were doing it, so use common sense if you mimick my steps.

Any quesitons, please feel free to ask here, or drop me a PIN msg. Hope this helps!!

I'm relieved to be honest. "Officially" RIM is techinically only in "best effort" support for Win 7. This is clearly inexcusable, but I'm glad they're at least doing that. The VZW rep could not do that for me. If this couldn't get resolved, I was going to have to switch to another type of device (like WinMo). I couldn't afford not to...*yikes*!!
    Last edited by Gawain; 11-07-09 at 11:30 PM.
    11-07-09 11:24 PM
    OMG, I don't know where to start here... When I (think I) followed your steps, I never got past step 4 without getting "device not connected" or "no device software in device" messages. However, this caused me to try some stuff, so much that I'm sorry to say I didn't document perfectly so that it might help others - but I'll try:

It took several tries to even get through Apploader without errors - the secret was to *not* close the error-laden previous window but relaunch Loader.exe...

Get through OS selection in Application Loader Wizard
    then at Updating Your Device screen, gets through
    "Load JVM and system software" -Loading system software stage OK
    "Wait for device initialization" - runs through "Reconnecting JVM" then get
    "Application Loader was unable to connect with your device. Please reconnect your device, enter the password if required, then click Retry."

I restarted this process several times and got to this point. This is when I had to put the battery back in.

upon reboot:"Reload software 507" D'oh!
    Went through again, seemed to load OS, said complete with Done button, then something like
    "Unable to connect to device during multi-stage installation"
    But...phone rebooted (slowly) then was ok. I too need to reload apps but wth. So what did we learn from this? I think you're right, just a flaky 5.0 initial install. Oh and btw I only got these steps to work on my XP box, not Vista, but now it's working with the DM on Vista (as desired).

Gawain, if you're ever in Chicago I owe you a beverage. I can't for the life of me find a Kudos button here or I'd certainly select it.
    11-08-09 11:27 AM
    OMG, I don't know where to start here... When I (think I) followed your steps, I never got past step 4 without getting "device not connected" or "no device software in device" messages. However, this caused me to try some stuff, so much that I'm sorry to say I didn't document perfectly so that it might help others - but I'll try:

It took several tries to even get through Apploader without errors - the secret was to *not* close the error-laden previous window but relaunch Loader.exe...

Get through OS selection in Application Loader Wizard
    then at Updating Your Device screen, gets through
    "Load JVM and system software" -Loading system software stage OK
    "Wait for device initialization" - runs through "Reconnecting JVM" then get
    "Application Loader was unable to connect with your device. Please reconnect your device, enter the password if required, then click Retry."

I restarted this process several times and got to this point. This is when I had to put the battery back in.

upon reboot:"Reload software 507" D'oh!
    Went through again, seemed to load OS, said complete with Done button, then something like
    "Unable to connect to device during multi-stage installation"
    But...phone rebooted (slowly) then was ok. I too need to reload apps but wth. So what did we learn from this? I think you're right, just a flaky 5.0 initial install. Oh and btw I only got these steps to work on my XP box, not Vista, but now it's working with the DM on Vista (as desired).

Gawain, if you're ever in Chicago I owe you a beverage. I can't for the life of me find a Kudos button here or I'd certainly select it.
    Sorry, I knew I forgetting something...yes the "Reload Software 507" was "normal" during the process.

Once you're ready to reload the apps, the RIM guy mentioned to me to concentrate only on the "core" programs (BBM, Memo, Tasks, Phone log, Messages, MMS, SMS), none of the associated "options" files. Reason being, we weren't sure where or if the OS was having the problem.

Then, once the device was up and running, I downloaded my apps directly on the device through App World, Crackberry Apps, etc.

12 hours past the reinstall, there have been no surprises and everything seems to work as designed.
    11-08-09 12:47 PM
    Sorry, I knew I forgetting something...yes the "Reload Software 507" was "normal" during the process.

Once you're ready to reload the apps, the RIM guy mentioned to me to concentrate only on the "core" programs (BBM, Memo, Tasks, Phone log, Messages, MMS, SMS), none of the associated "options" files. Reason being, we weren't sure where or if the OS was having the problem.

Then, once the device was up and running, I downloaded my apps directly on the device through App World, Crackberry Apps, etc.

12 hours past the reinstall, there have been no surprises and everything seems to work as designed.
    Well, I may have spoken too soon. I did as described in the past couple posts, and got a connection to DM. So...I'd load a few apps, do a sync/backup, few more apps, another backup, etc. I reloaded the last couple apps last night (Gmail and Google Sync), reconfigured a few preferences, etc., all seems well. This morning I plug in the phone, launch DM, same problem, "stopped working" message on Vista, "runtime error" on XP. Tried just uninstalling Gmail and Gsync (which BTW were the last two programs I'd loaded before all these problems started - I'm just sayin').

I'd like to go back to my last known good backup but I don't know a back-door way of getting into the backup-restore function without DM as there is a with the app loader. Googling has found nothing on this.

It would seem some app I use is not playing well with 5.0 as most all I have I've had for a while except the two mentioned above. I guess I'll have to go through this whole process again...unbelievable. Then...not load any apps for fear of there being a problem again...well, at least I can brag about my free memory! <LaughingToKeepFromCrying>
    11-09-09 08:31 AM
    Well, I may have spoken too soon. I did as described in the past couple posts, and got a connection to DM. So...I'd load a few apps, do a sync/backup, few more apps, another backup, etc. I reloaded the last couple apps last night (Gmail and Google Sync), reconfigured a few preferences, etc., all seems well. This morning I plug in the phone, launch DM, same problem, "stopped working" message on Vista, "runtime error" on XP. Tried just uninstalling Gmail and Gsync (which BTW were the last two programs I'd loaded before all these problems started - I'm just sayin').

I'd like to go back to my last known good backup but I don't know a back-door way of getting into the backup-restore function without DM as there is a with the app loader. Googling has found nothing on this.

It would seem some app I use is not playing well with 5.0 as most all I have I've had for a while except the two mentioned above. I guess I'll have to go through this whole process again...unbelievable. Then...not load any apps for fear of there being a problem again...well, at least I can brag about my free memory! <LaughingToKeepFromCrying>
    Honestly, at this point it is worth your time going through VZW, then having them refer it on to RIM.

I simply explained that I couldn't do anything since the last OS upgrade, we tried to connect to the XP machine. A wipe wasn't in their playbook since I couldn't connect.

I then carefully explained the situation to RIM, followed a couple steps, then we did the clean install. Having said that, I never could Google sync to play nice with my Storm earlier this year and I gave up on it.
    11-09-09 09:30 AM
    Honestly, at this point it is worth your time going through VZW, then having them refer it on to RIM.

I simply explained that I couldn't do anything since the last OS upgrade, we tried to connect to the XP machine. A wipe wasn't in their playbook since I couldn't connect.

I then carefully explained the situation to RIM, followed a couple steps, then we did the clean install. Having said that, I never could Google sync to play nice with my Storm earlier this year and I gave up on it.
    Thanks for staying in the loop. This time I once again wiped and reinstalled (getting faster at it). I will be more selective about which programs I load, and I will spoon-feed them onto the phone then do a sync/backup/battery pull etc. to find out, if I can, what exactly is breaking the camel's back, and report back if I find anything repeatable. But thanks again for pointing me in the right (albeit extreme) direction!
    11-09-09 10:07 AM
    Update

Well, it's been a full day and multiple phone and computer resets, syncs and backups, and things seem stable. I only post this in case it helps someone in the future. Here's what I did differently from my first unsuccessful attempt as documented in post 20:
    Used BBSAK's Wipe Device instead of Gawain's method.
    Reinstalled: Google Maps, Poynt, WeatherBug, AppWorld, Nobex Radio Companion, GPSLogger, SpeedOmeter, AP News, ScoreMobile, and the Gmail app.
    Did NOT reinstall:SpeedTest (Xtreme Labs), FileScout, QuickPull, Mobihand (CB) AppStore, Jconverter2, ZDNet, Forbes, Bnet, AtomicHelix Notify and Taskify, FreeTips, and Google Sync.
    So, not totally conclusive, make of it what you will, YMMV, etc. I'm just sayin'...<G>
    11-10-09 07:55 AM
    I am having these same issues with a brand new bold 9700. It is definitely an issue on the phone. My old bb flip 8220 still connects to the DM without any issues. I have tried this on three different computers with different operating systems win7, vista and xp all 32bit and get the same results (all with latest version 5 dm). I think that the trouble is from a rouge 3rd party app just don't know which one and at this point uninstall doesn't seem to work.

The crazy thing is that the phone seems to be working just fine..... just can't connect with the desktop manager to do syncs and backups which kinda defeats the purpose of having a great smart phone. JJB
    11-20-09 08:34 PM
    I have the same problem trying to connect my BB 9700 to the DM. While trying to sync the BB to the DM, I'm getting the error on the title of this thread.

I'm using vista 64-bit Home Premium with the DM ver 5.0.1 and BB 9700 OS v5.0.0.321

Don't know what else to do. I've tried uninstalling the DM and installing it again but the problem still occurs.

I am having these same issues with a brand new bold 9700. It is definitely an issue on the phone. My old bb flip 8220 still connects to the DM without any issues. I have tried this on three different computers with different operating systems win7, vista and xp all 32bit and get the same results (all with latest version 5 dm). I think that the trouble is from a rouge 3rd party app just don't know which one and at this point uninstall doesn't seem to work.

The crazy thing is that the phone seems to be working just fine..... just can't connect with the desktop manager to do syncs and backups which kinda defeats the purpose of having a great smart phone. JJB
    11-21-09 09:37 AM
27 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD