I've been an 8830 user for more than two years. I also consider myself reasonably advanced and capable with Windows machines and the amount of time required to get all this set up is insufferable. Now I have a new Tour. Gues what? BT is insufferable again. It has been ten days of readin every post I can find trying to make it work. It's enough to make me think hard about trashing my new 2 year contract with VZW and heading over to, yuk, the iPhone camp because, in the end, what I need for my business is something that works. There are two totally unsophisticated users of iPhones in my office who are just thrilled. I guess the next step is to read the iPhone horror stories which I'm sure there are many.

"Can't connect", "connector error",... you name it. Every error in the book. Everyone points to data corruption. How did that happen and why do the dozens of BT related posts/people have corrupted data? Why, when connected with USB is the data not corrupted?

I had a very friendly VZW rep on the phone for a long while who could simply tell me to delete all 490 contacts and enter tem in by hand on the phone! Or, pay $50 and someone from RIM would talk to me. OK, I'm ready to pay the $50 but...I just expect more from these sophisticated devices these days especially when all I'm trying to do is use the standard support features and software that came with the product.

Why can't BB get it right?
    07-22-09 07:55 AM
    "Can't connect", "connector error",... you name it. Every error in the book. Everyone points to data corruption. ...
    If I understand correctly, your employees are using BlueTooth to sync to a common database of contacts.

The failure to connect messages are not likely to represent corrupt data, but a problem is establishing the Bluetooth connection for the Sync. A far worse problem would be establishing connection, beginning the Sync and loosing the connection mid way.

Bluetooth uses the same 2.4 GHz that Wifi routers and cordless phones use. Bluetooth uses a sophisticated frequency hopping technique to cope with interference, but it is can fail, resulting in a dropped connection.

Data is data, but the USB port is a physical connection to the wires, there is no oppertunity for stay interference to play a roll.
    07-22-09 09:34 AM
    "If I understand correctly, your employees are using BlueTooth to sync to a common database of contacts."

Actually, it's much simpler. One BB one laptop in this example. Your post got me thinking... the Tour is very slow to connect with DTM via BT. Also, when it does connect the BT mouse behaves flaky and it's very slow to get on with the sync and transition from one database to another. The sync aborts between databases and not always the same one. Maybe it's the BT radio in the Tour that's messed up?

I dragged out the old 8830 and presto. It connects instantly, fast, without a hitch and the mouse never stopped working.

It's time to have this Tour replaced.

Thanks for getting me thinking off in a different direction.
    07-23-09 07:37 AM
    I secured a new 9630 from the Verizon store this afternoon.

First, with USB connection I fired up DTM v5.0 and downloaded the update for on board software. This happens automatically with a new device. None related to sync/BT.

Then, I restored my database having saved it just before my trip to Verizon. All looking good. Then performed a sync, all OK and all up until now with USB connection.

Next, using DTM I paried the device with my laptop and DTM. First sync attempt failed with connector error. My BT mouse was beging to behave flaky again. I shut the mouse off and sync'd flawlessly five times in a row with BT.

Turn mouse back on, DTM connection to phone noticeably slower however, 5 consecutive syncs worked flawlessly and mouse is still flaky.

Shut down DTM, however BT is still activated and paired, blue light blinking. Mouse freezes and I did a BT disconnect with the laptop on the 9630 and the mouse snapped back into action.

Whew!, This has been a week of pain and troubleshooting. My conclusion, the BT radio and/or software on the 9630 is not as robust as it is on my 8830 which worked like a charm. This particular new phone is better than the first one I received and seems to be usable.

Maybe OS v5.0 will correct these issues? One can only hope.
    Last edited by rap; 07-24-09 at 07:28 AM.
    07-23-09 08:01 PM
    Need to sync, added new calendar entry.

BT connects with DTM from 9630
    Contacts sync
    Calendar syncs
    Memo pad - Bust! "Connector Specific Error"
    Nothing in updated in the device.

Turn off BT mouse, repeat.
    Everything syncs just fine.

I guess I need to remember to turn off the mouse while syncing...it is an improvement from the first 9630 I had. Maybe I'll finally get used to that dang touchpad that I hate so much...
    07-24-09 03:52 PM
    thanks everyone...
    07-24-09 11:05 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD