While hunting around for a solution, I did notice that the BlackBerry Virtual Private Network was flagged in Device Manager (in Windows), so, I did do an uninstall/reinstall of Link/Blend/Drivers, but unfortunately, it didn't change anything, I still couldn't connect. I uninstalled everything again, signed up for the Blend beta, then installed the beta and Link separately. NOW, I am able to connect to Blend via usb and wifi! However, My Z30 still cannot view files on my PC through Device Connections and my PC is no longer listed in File Manager (which is new).

Still not 100%, but I'm getting there. Thanks for the help!
    Good stuff. I had an issue with a conflict between VMware and Link that preventing RFA and resolved it, can't remember exactly the problem - but pretty sure it was something to do with how VMware accessed the network on a virtual workstation that conflicted. I'll dig around later and post some suggestions for resolving.
    04-02-15 05:17 PM
    STV0726,

Until you do a full reinstall you cannot complain.

Yes I can, because BlackBerry needs to start writing remote connection/device interaction software that doesn't require a considerable portion of their user base to have to go through this every time.

-STV on Z30STA100-5/10.3.1.2582
    You could try joining the BlackBerry Beta Zone and download the Blend 1.2 Beta. I know it seems to pair much faster on my Android Tablet and PC. And it's working for MsDarkDiva so perhaps it would solve your problem.
    04-02-15 05:20 PM
    You could try joining the BlackBerry Beta Zone and download the Blend 1.2 Beta. I know it seems to pair much faster on my Android Tablet and PC. And it's working for MsDarkDiva so perhaps it would solve your problem.
    Thanks I might try that. I would just need the desktop beta right? Or would I need to do something to my handheld end too?

And I forgot to mention regarding the "fresh start" route -- I'm hesitant to invest any time in reinstalling cleanly since I have Blend installed on two completely separate systems with different configurations (one sans Link) and Blend is giving me the same behavior on both, yes, even on different Internet networks. So needless to say I am nothing short of skeptical to believe reinstalling will be the answer.

For that reason, combined with all my own troubleshooting as I am familiar with IT, plus the extensive searches I've done of other folks reaching a dead end with this, you must understand why it is a bit frustrating when I reach out and get a bunch of "it works for me it's just you" type of answers.

04-02-15 06:09 PM
    Honestly, I can't remember if I downloaded an update on my Passport or not, lol. And that was only a few days ago. On my phone I'm running version 1.1.0.67 so if you have the same then the answer is no, heh.

Yes, I went to the beta zone on my PC and joined the program and it gave me a link to download. There's also a way to add it to your Android tablet by joining a Google group and opting in and then it should update through Google Play, though they say it might take a few hours to do so (it was pretty immediate for me). I don't think there's a beta for iPad yet.

I do agree that they need to continue to work on making the process for RFA on Link and Blend connections utterly seamless, I would expect nothing less (from BlackBerry or any other software vendor). But I've had software issues on just about every platform from time to time and I've used everything, heh. The uninstall / reinstall I've done many times for myself or to help friends with computer issues, not just BlackBerry software, and not just Windows desktop either. They all have their warts, but that doesn't make it any less frustrating when it doesn't work.
    04-02-15 06:21 PM
    I know how frustrating all this can be, for us we have had no problems with Blend, since you have a sound knowledge of IT you would have been through many issues with all the of different software interactions, as we have. Hearing others have no problem just makes it more frustrating, we went through a huge amount of time with security cameras as just one example, painful to set up, more painful hearing others had no issues. Hopefully you will get it running as it should.
    04-02-15 06:48 PM
    While hunting around for a solution, I did notice that the BlackBerry Virtual Private Network was flagged in Device Manager (in Windows), so, I did do an uninstall/reinstall of Link/Blend/Drivers, but unfortunately, it didn't change anything, I still couldn't connect. I uninstalled everything again, signed up for the Blend beta, then installed the beta and Link separately. NOW, I am able to connect to Blend via usb and wifi! However, My Z30 still cannot view files on my PC through Device Connections and my PC is no longer listed in File Manager (which is new).

Still not 100%, but I'm getting there. Thanks for the help!
    Okay, so just a few thoughts, don't know if this will help or not:

1. Does more than one person use BlackBerry Link at your home on the same computer? For RFA you have to be signed into your BlackBerry ID on Link from what I gather. If there's more than one BB user sharing Link on your computer check at the top of the window and it will show who's signed in.
    2. Do you use any kind of VPN from your computer?
    3. Do you use media sharing on your BB? (Settings | Media Sharing)
    4. Have you checked your Firewall and Anti-Virus settings to see if its blocking incoming requests from your device to your computer? You can add an exception to the Firewall and/or Anti-virus if you haven't already.

Like I said, for me the issue was VMWare and related to it's virtual networking. I rarely use it so the fix for me was to uninstall VMWare and it immediately solved my issue.

Let me know, and if you have issues I can try and help you troubleshoot things like adding exceptions if you let me know which firewall or anti-virus software you use.
    MsDarkDiva likes this.
    04-02-15 06:50 PM
    There is an update to blackberry desktop software the 31st. Checking for an update in link said there was none but there is on bb's site. I was having a different problem today. Blend almost always connects on wifi but link wasn't seeing my phone on wifi, even after installing the update to desktop software. So in device connections I turned allow to off and then back to on. Link sees the phone now. Maybe the update will help with your issue?
    04-02-15 07:47 PM
    Oh and for copying files I just use windows explorer and my phone as network device. I set the password in storage and access and the first time I clicked to open the phone it asked for the user name, blackberry, and password, the password I put in. Works great and works with or without link.
    anon(9353145) likes this.
    04-02-15 07:50 PM
    Okay, so just a few thoughts, don't know if this will help or not:

1. Does more than one person use BlackBerry Link at your home on the same computer? For RFA you have to be signed into your BlackBerry ID on Link from what I gather. If there's more than one BB user sharing Link on your computer check at the top of the window and it will show who's signed in.
    2. Do you use any kind of VPN from your computer?
    3. Do you use media sharing on your BB? (Settings | Media Sharing)
    4. Have you checked your Firewall and Anti-Virus settings to see if its blocking incoming requests from your device to your computer? You can add an exception to the Firewall and/or Anti-virus if you haven't already.
    It's just me using BlackBerry Link and Blend on my computer and I'm signed in with my BBID. I do use a VPN on my system, but it's not on at all times. Everything is set "on", in Media Sharing, on my Z30. I've checked through my anti-virus (Bitdefender), for anything that could explain this sudden change, but everything appears to be the same; an exception for Blend/Link was already listed.

Funny enough, now that I have Blend working (still *fingers crossed*), I've noticed that my PC can connect to my Z30's files, no problem. It's just the other way around Z30 to PC that doesn't work.

Thanks I might try that. I would just need the desktop beta right? Or would I need to do something to my handheld end too?
    Yes. I installed the desktop beta. I did uninstall the previous version first, but only because I had the Blend/Link/Driver software bundle and I wanted to install each program separately. I didn't update anything on my phone.

In the end, I chose to invest the time to try to get everything up and running (and I'm still having issues). You're not alone STV0726, the problem exists and there is no definitive answer, which is frustrating. I can only tell you how I personally got Blend working, but... there is no guarantee.
    kbz1960 likes this.
    04-02-15 11:22 PM
    It's just me using BlackBerry Link and Blend on my computer and I'm signed in with my BBID. I do use a VPN on my system, but it's not on at all times. Everything is set "on", in Media Sharing, on my Z30. I've checked through my anti-virus (Bitdefender), for anything that could explain this sudden change, but everything appears to be the same; an exception for Blend/Link was already listed.

Funny enough, now that I have Blend working (still *fingers crossed*), I've noticed that my PC can connect to my Z30's files, no problem. It's just the other way around Z30 to PC that doesn't work.
    Yes, I have media sharing on as well and it's fine, just saw that listed as a problem sometimes and VPN does interfere but only when it's on. How about Windows Firewall? Do you have added exceptions on both Public and Private networks for all BlackBerry services? Go to Control Panel, Windows Firewall and check "Allow an app or feature through Windows Firewall" and see if BlackBerry Link Peer to Peer, BlackBerry MDNS, BlackBerry Blend Invoke Proxy and Nginx have both settings checked off for each item. There's a KB article here running through various ports on BlackBerry:

KB34794-BlackBerry desktop applications and Internet connectivity

Solution is close, I can feel it, heh.

EDIT: Just thinking on BitDefender, if the above doesn't work, maybe check that the ports BB uses from the above KB article are not being blocked. Here's links to unblocking ports on BitDefender and Windows Firewall. You shouldn't have to do this, but hey, I learned a long time ago that computers make the unnecessary necessary sometimes, lol:

http://forum.bitdefender.com/index.php?showtopic=26907

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/w...#1TC=windows-7
    04-03-15 07:31 AM
    Your issue seems strange because you and I both have the Z30 and STA100-5. I use Blend and Link both at home (Windows 8.1 Pro 64-bit) and office (Windows 7 Pro 64-bit) with absolutely zero issues using either cable or wifi. The only obvious difference is that I am using OS 10.3.1.2558 and you are using 10.3.1.2582.

I did initially have a problem at home using Blend, tried everything, and finally troubleshooted to Kaspersky anti-virus. The issue was resolved when I uninstalled Kaspersky anti-virus and Blend, reinstalled Blend (worked) and then installed Kaspersky anti-virus. The issue would not resolve by just disabling Kaspersky anti-virus before installing Blend. I use Norton at the office and there was no issue.

Sorry to add to the "works for me" responses, but IMHO, although your issue may not be exactly the same as the one I experienced, I believe that it very likely has something to do with the software or settings on your CPU(s).

Good luck!
    04-03-15 07:55 AM
    Yes, I have media sharing on as well and it's fine, just saw that listed as a problem sometimes and VPN does interfere but only when it's on. How about Windows Firewall? Do you have added exceptions on both Public and Private networks for all BlackBerry services? Go to Control Panel, Windows Firewall and check "Allow an app or feature through Windows Firewall" and see if BlackBerry Link Peer to Peer, BlackBerry MDNS, BlackBerry Blend Invoke Proxy and Nginx have both settings checked off for each item. There's a KB article here running through various ports on BlackBerry:

KB34794-BlackBerry desktop applications and Internet connectivity

Solution is close, I can feel it, heh.

EDIT: Just thinking on BitDefender, if the above doesn't work, maybe check that the ports BB uses from the above KB article are not being blocked. Here's links to unblocking ports on BitDefender and Windows Firewall. You shouldn't have to do this, but hey, I learned a long time ago that computers make the unnecessary necessary sometimes, lol:

Ports Block/unblock - Bitdefender Forum

Open a port in Windows Firewall - Windows Help
    HA! I fixed it! Sorry for the late reply, but after a while, I got tired of searching for a solution, so I took a little break.

Long story short, all of my files and folders in BlackBerry Link, listed under This Computer> Remote File Access, somehow got deleted (I didn't touch anything or make any changes to Link, but they disappeared *shrug*). I re-added them, however, my Z30 still wasn't seeing the files through wifi. So, again, under BB Link> My Device> Settings, I turned wifi off/on again and now I have access my laptop's files and folders from my phone- yea!

Thanks again for helping me out! After two weeks of suddenly being shut out, I can use Blend again on my desktop and my Z30 can connect to my PC's files!
    04-05-15 01:38 PM
    HA! I fixed it! Sorry for the late reply, but after a while, I got tired of searching for a solution, so I took a little break.

Long story short, all of my files and folders in BlackBerry Link, listed under This Computer> Remote File Access, somehow got deleted (I didn't touch anything or make any changes to Link, but they disappeared *shrug*). I re-added them, however, my Z30 still wasn't seeing the files through wifi. So, again, under BB Link> My Device> Settings, I turned wifi off/on again and now I have access my laptop's files and folders from my phone- yea!

Thanks again for helping me out! After two weeks of suddenly being shut out, I can use Blend again on my desktop and my Z30 can connect to my PC's files!
    Now don't touch ANYTHING, haha! Glad to hear it's back, hopefully it won't happen again and BlackBerry works harder on making it a less painful process for some people in future updates.
    04-05-15 01:46 PM
    borked drivers in your computer. Try it on a diff PC. Its a maddening problem and a very confusing public problem. Its easy for someone to not follow the procedure and have problems installing. The same symptoms can also mean that your PC drivers are messed up. In this Case Link doesnt work right for you either. The only solution I have found is a reload of windows. The others are hard and time consuming with a high failure rate. I know this, my windows 7 ultimate will not work but laptop does.

This can be blamed on my motherboard from ASUS P8Z68 that had USB BIOS problem that were later " fixed " Kinda sorta. Blend will be a dead end on desktops for alot of people. PC reload may work and it would for me too.
    04-05-15 09:03 PM
    borked drivers in your computer. Try it on a diff PC. Its a maddening problem and a very confusing public problem. Its easy for someone to not follow the procedure and have problems installing. The same symptoms can also mean that your PC drivers are messed up. In this Case Link doesnt work right for you either. The only solution I have found is a reload of windows. The others are hard and time consuming with a high failure rate. I know this, my windows 7 ultimate will not work but laptop does.

This can be blamed on my motherboard from ASUS P8Z68 that had USB BIOS problem that were later " fixed " Kinda sorta. Blend will be a dead end on desktops for alot of people. PC reload may work and it would for me too.
    The way I look at it is, any one piece of software that requires me to reload Windows is fragile, poorly written, unreliable, and most importantly: requires a real solution.

If one was to do such a drastic troubleshooting measure, with software so fragile, there's no telling another small change wouldn't happen at some point in the system with many variables and it would break again. Time to reload Windows again?

Get it right BlackBerry. No excuses. That would be the best solution. I cannot fathom what is so difficult to get working about Blend and RFA that it cannot just be made to work.

Anyway, I wouldn't even pursue that route because Blend is acting ridiculous on both my machines so I'd find it hard to believe it was disagreeing with one particular setup or computer. I am curious, however, what some of these other potential solutions you know of are. To me reloading Windows is ridiculous and a last resort, so I'd carefully change sensitive configurations before I'd do that. You did say they had a low success rate, though. I do appreciate your response.

***I think BlackBerry needs to release a device and desktop software hotfix patch that scans for corrupt drivers, bad configurations (e.g. the several dormant "Desktop-xxxx" entries in my device connection settings that it won't let me delete or access), and any installation or update issues and fixes them, to restore Link and Blend to full working functionality.***

Last edited by STV0726; 04-06-15 at 02:42 AM.
    04-06-15 02:32 AM
    Dont forget that windows can break itself with its own updates so the whole Windows software platform is an unstable POS really. We see it all of the time, so I dont see it like you see it but thats OK. Its really not that simple. In my case I have known issue with inconsistent USB ports. From the BIOS level on up! The troubleshooting steps to follow are the same for link not connecting to the internet and not allowing you to sign in. That info is here in the forums and many have failed after alot of work. People have had problems with their PCS and the USB ports since the start of time. At this time I do have a harddrive sitting on R and changing that may allow me to get everything working again. This new info really sucks. The programmers should have Slammed everything down to drive X like Link shoves the phone down to Y and Z.
    You could try a $95 PC tune Up at your local computer shop.
    If Link doesn't work and cant sign in then Blend is not going to work either.
    Last edited by Zeratul57; 04-06-15 at 07:35 AM.
    04-06-15 07:00 AM
    I've never had it work with iPad.

Z10STL100-3/10.3.1.1949

Posted via CB10
    04-06-15 03:16 PM
    I just have a real hard time taking the effort and perilous journey of reloading Windows when Blend behaves the same way on two separate machines.

04-06-15 08:05 PM
    I am with with you. I love BB, but I am tired of trying to get Blend to work. When I first installed Blend it would not work. then suddenly one day it came on and was functional for about a week, then down it goes. i have Tried ALL the fixes from ALL the web searches. There are far to many users having difficulty with Blend. BB needs to fix these issues. Here are some of the issues that are NOT the problem;
    1. Link works
    2. IPv6, allowed
    3. Firewall not blocking
    4. Anti-virus is allowing
    5. USB connected correctly
    6. Phone setup allows connections
    7. Port 443 open and allowed
    8. current version of Windows 7 & updates
    9. Blend finds and recognizes phone (Classic) but wont communicate
    10. Frustration level..... at Hurricane Strength..........
    05-01-15 03:16 PM
    Me too

For the past month or so Blend hasn't worked on my PC (Windows 7) or my Android tablet. Worse, Link doesn't work either.

Link was always a bit odd as it used to drop my Internet when the Q10 was plugged into the PC.

Just hoping someone will do something, though not optimistic
    05-13-15 03:11 AM
    I have had problems with Blend over the past several years. I could never figure out why it worked sometimes, and not others. I doubt if its on the Desktop end as it has been through three (3) or four (4) different desktops and an equal number of laptops, and through I believe were three separate iterations of the Windows OS (Win7, Win8.1 and now Win10). I finally gave up on it when I put a SIM card in one of the laptops, so I usually had some form of expanded access (not the 21 U.S.C. type) and I do not really depend on the Blackberry to be my laptop, nor am I a "power-user" but it was and still remains an irritant, although one I would gladly endure just to have the phone work. One of my biggest problems with the Blackberry Classic that I now use is recently it just does not allow me to go to any number of sites on the Web anymore. It just give me on of those security notices that it thinks that the sites are not safe, however, I have used these very same sites for many years on each of the iterations of Blackberry devices that I have gone through from that one that slides open to my current Classic. It would not be quite as bad if the device gave me the chance to override its (un)sound judgement and go wherever it is on the Internet that I wish to go to as long as I take responsibility for its use on that site. I would love to find someone, or some company that could just reprogram my BB OS to an Android OS, so that it would not be moving from obsolescent to obsolete at "Warp Speed".
    03-07-22 01:06 PM
    I would love to find someone, or some company that could just reprogram my BB OS to an Android OS, so that it would not be moving from obsolescent to obsolete at "Warp Speed".
    Even if your BB10 device could install Android, it still wouldn't work as it doesn't have the proper LTE-band and VoLTE support.
    Laura Knotek likes this.
    03-07-22 01:56 PM
    Even if your BB10 device could install Android, it still wouldn't work as it doesn't have the proper LTE-band and VoLTE support.
    Or the hardware.... even the 801 powered with 3GB of RAM Passport would struggle with Android 12, and today's Android Apps. Might could do the Go Edition of Android, but there are limits with it.

Best solution was the Android/Passport guy that was talking about swapping out the SoC... if he could get 10K backers willing to speed $500+. Not sure if he ever broke 100 on that poll....

But even so most US users, would likely find it wouldn't work... not even sure if it would be FCC approved, much less carrier approved.
    Laura Knotek likes this.
    03-07-22 02:09 PM
    "New" BB Classic set Up

Obviously not the place to post this but at end of tethering/wits end.

Memory issues, long term storage issues, file access issues, number & letter issues.

And that's just me - dyslexic, almost zero working memory, struggle with highly "retentive" memory, plus constant interruptions from er indoors.

Non techy - can't remember stuff, but have used BB for years - love keyboard & hub.

Q10 dying couple or three years ago. Think I managed to transfer to "new" (2nd hand) Classic with no problems.

Not been able to back that up as problems with software, wireless connection, usb connection, etc, but managed see and to copy visible files with USB connection Jan this year.

Now the Classic died completely after being dropped.

Have been here before & seen things about what to do/not to do/oops that's changed/don't do that... when supposedly EOL/coming up/gone.

Now I'm trying to find what to do with another new "new" Classic, just received from ebay "refurbished".

I've got a Blackberry username & password but I didn't do anything on the Blackberry website when things shut down for OS10.

Want to set up the "new" Classic and can see threads on what to do if hit a problem eg "[Fix] BB10 Devices Stuck at Setup/Sideloading Issue" or what to do with your existing phone.

But can't find or recognise anything on what to do if you're starting from scratch with a "new" "refurbished" phone what should/not be done?!
    05-21-22 12:02 PM
    "New" BB Classic set Up

Obviously not the place to post this but at end of tethering/wits end.

Memory issues, long term storage issues, file access issues, number & letter issues.

And that's just me - dyslexic, almost zero working memory, struggle with highly "retentive" memory, plus constant interruptions from er indoors.

Non techy - can't remember stuff, but have used BB for years - love keyboard & hub.

Q10 dying couple or three years ago. Think I managed to transfer to "new" (2nd hand) Classic with no problems.

Not been able to back that up as problems with software, wireless connection, usb connection, etc, but managed see and to copy visible files with USB connection Jan this year.

Now the Classic died completely after being dropped.

Have been here before & seen things about what to do/not to do/oops that's changed/don't do that... when supposedly EOL/coming up/gone.

Now I'm trying to find what to do with another new "new" Classic, just received from ebay "refurbished".

I've got a Blackberry username & password but I didn't do anything on the Blackberry website when things shut down for OS10.

Want to set up the "new" Classic and can see threads on what to do if hit a problem eg "[Fix] BB10 Devices Stuck at Setup/Sideloading Issue" or what to do with your existing phone.

But can't find or recognise anything on what to do if you're starting from scratch with a "new" "refurbished" phone what should/not be done?!
    One thing you won’t be able to do is use Link if you have any backups made with Link they are now useless to you as you will be unable to get your BBID onto any new device.

If you have backups made with Ultimate Backup app you’ll need to buy the app again for your ‘new’ phone directly from the developer who does sell it still and restore them using the app.

At this point I would suggest it is more prudent to get a supported Android or iOS phone but you may disagree, remember things are only going to get worse with BB10 from here.
    05-22-22 08:03 AM
52 123