I just got the phone on Sunday and am trying to install the desktop manager... I first installed it and nothing worked.. the icons were unable to click and the only thing i could click was check for updates in the bottom right corner. I then uninstalled it and reinstalled it, same problem. Then did the repair option, same problem.. Uninstalled it and reinstalled with a different CD. SAME problem lol. So after trying three different times i am hoping to find answers here. the icons that show up "Media Manager" "Application Loader" "Backup and Restore" "Device Switch Wizard" and "Synchronize." The icons show up to the left of the words, and the explanations below. For some reason none of them click, ive tried clicking the icons, the names, the text, basically everywhere...

If anyone else has had this problem please help.

Thanks.
    Last edited by Alex.H; 05-26-09 at 12:11 AM. Reason: Title wrong
    05-26-09 12:09 AM
    You have your BB hooked up to the computer, right? You need it hooked up to work.

HTH
    Daisy
    05-26-09 12:11 AM
    Yea ive had it hooked up every time, Tried starting the program then hooking it up, hookin it up then starting... many different options.. and no results.
    05-26-09 12:12 AM
    Have you tried restarting your PC?

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    05-26-09 01:09 AM
    yea tried that a few times, still no luck.
    05-26-09 01:11 AM
    What kind of PC is it and what OS is on it?

05-26-09 01:13 AM
    Dell XPS

Microsoft XP Home edition Version 2002.
    05-26-09 01:18 AM
    When you plug your BB in, does it connect to DM and can you see your PIN in the bottom left corner?

BTW, is your XPS the 400?

05-26-09 01:25 AM
    im not sure if its the 400, but no my pin does not show up in the bottom left. when you say DM u mean device manager or Desktop manager. But it shows on the device manager when i click it it shows up on device connection tab under connections. but on desktop manager it does not show up at all in that bottom left.

It just says Blackberry Desktop Manager v4.5
    05-26-09 01:29 AM
    When I say DM I mean Desktop Manager.

With DM running try this:

With your BB plugged in go to Start/My Computer/View system information/Hardware/Device Manager and open the drop down list for Universal Serial Bus controllers then right click on BlackBerry Smartphone and uninstall then unplug the BB and plug it back in.

The reason I asked if your XPS was a 400 is because I have the same PC.

05-26-09 01:35 AM
    when i clicked uninstall, basicly killed my computer lol, just shut off. but when i turned it back on plugged it in, it recognized the device reinstalled it and still same problem..
    05-26-09 01:48 AM
    just did it normaly, didnt kill comp, but still didnt fix it.
    05-26-09 01:53 AM
    When you uninstalled the BB drivers your PC shut down?

05-26-09 01:55 AM
    yea, and then i restarted it and still no ability to click after reinstalled the drivers, is there something i need to do on my phone that will make it work?
    05-26-09 01:57 AM
    Have you tried different USB ports?

Also try plugging your BB in and take out the battery and the media card then put the battery back in.

05-26-09 02:11 AM
    tried various different ports, none work

Tried the thing u just said.. still no luck :-\
    05-26-09 02:18 AM
    I'm sorry but I'm out of ideas

05-26-09 02:34 AM
    I thought of something else to check.

Run DM and click on Options then Connection Options and set Connection Type to USB.

If you don't get anywhere with that un-install DM and download and install DM 4.6 without Media Manager from HERE and see if you can connect.
    Last edited by blackngray70; 05-26-09 at 06:07 AM.
    05-26-09 05:42 AM
    Tried that didnt work with v4.6

i dont know where the connections thing shows up, but heres what i see.. maybe this will help
    05-26-09 04:21 PM

Hope it helps. thanks

(only had 9 posts so needed one more, stupid thing)
    05-26-09 04:21 PM
    That's very strange

I don't know what you got going on.

The Options should be in the top right corner.

Apparently some components are missing.

What type of security software do you have installed on your PC?

05-26-09 05:06 PM
    I had some Windows updates install recently and I had some connection issues the other day. I wonder if any of the new updates are causing problems.

I connected to DM with no problem and started a downgrade to .77 and I got a fatal error. I had to pull the battery on my BB and restart my PC then opened DM and my BB wouldn't connect so I uninstalled the BB drivers and unplugged the BB and plugged it back in and everything was back to normal and I proceeded with the downgrade.

05-26-09 05:14 PM
    None, lol just the basic windows firewall lol
    05-26-09 05:20 PM
    This is what DM should look like:

This is the Options I was talking about:

Notice my BB is not connected bottom left corner. You should be able to click on and open the different functions.

Uninstall DM from your PC and download/install DM 4.6 without media manager from HERE. This is the .exe file from my PC that I downloaded close to a year ago. Install it and see if you still have the same problems.
    05-27-09 03:32 AM
    Ive given up. lol no luck, it did a few more new things, but still no options menu, and nothing at all that is useful. I am gonna call support and hopefully they can help me out.. it has to be something with my computer that is causing this that is the only thing i can imagine.

Thank you for your help. i appreciated all that we've tried to do.
    05-27-09 11:22 AM
39 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD