I am trying to migrate from a Win XP/SP3 system running Desktop Manager 4.6 to a new machine running Windows 7. I despise MS Outlook, but I've been running Outlook 2007 on the old machine in order to have a desktop platform for my calendar and contacts. It has never been my default email client.
    Under Windows 7, I have loaded the same Outlook 2007, and I have tried to run BB Desktop Manager. Neither DTM 4.6 nor DTM 5.01 will allow me to synchronize with the handheld device unless I let Outlook be my default mail handler. Is there a known workaround?
    07-15-10 06:34 PM
    I am trying to migrate from a Win XP/SP3 system running Desktop Manager 4.6 to a new machine running Windows 7. I despise MS Outlook, but I've been running Outlook 2007 on the old machine in order to have a desktop platform for my calendar and contacts. It has never been my default email client.
    Under Windows 7, I have loaded the same Outlook 2007, and I have tried to run BB Desktop Manager. Neither DTM 4.6 nor DTM 5.01 will allow me to synchronize with the handheld device unless I let Outlook be my default mail handler. Is there a known workaround?
    Yeah, I think you have the wrong way of thinking.

You do not need to have it as the default mail handler since the DM has no code to handle any kind of mail. It only handles PIM data.

Well to migrate you can export as a PST file or if you confident that your BlackBerry has all the data skip that. You need to use the latest DM which is 5.xx and completely forgot about any older version since no one here or even RIM supports that. If you have Windows 7 and Office 2007 then Start Outlook and cancel adding a email address and there should be a option to continue without email support which disables the email system part of Outlook. Then you should be able to sync with no problems.

If there are problems try reinstalling Outlook or Desktop Manager. Please note there will be a new DM in August to fix issues with the new Office 2010 but only 32 bit.
    07-15-10 08:57 PM
    Are you running as administrator?
    07-15-10 09:21 PM
    Yeah, I think you have the wrong way of thinking.

You do not need to have it as the default mail handler since the DM has no code to handle any kind of mail. It only handles PIM data..
    That's the way I would have written Desktop Manager, too, and that's the way the old DTM worked under Windows XP/SP3. Unfortunately, that's not the way it works in the situation I am facing.
    Well to migrate you can export as a PST file or if you [are] confident that your BlackBerry has all the data skip that. You need to use the latest DM which is 5.xx
    That was my first approach; I tried regressing to 4.6 only when 5.01 failed in the manner I described.
    If you have Windows 7 and Office 2007 then Start Outlook and cancel adding a email address and there should be a option to continue without email support which disables the email system part of Outlook.
    Yes, that's what I did, and Outlook does just what you say it should.
    Then you should be able to sync with no problems.
    Nope.

[QUOTE]If there are problems try reinstalling Outlook or Desktop Manager. [QUOTE]
    Done, without benefit.
    there will be a new DM in August to fix issues with the new Office 2010 but only 32 bit.
    Interesting, but of uncertain promise..
    Last edited by Fenichel; 07-16-10 at 10:54 PM.
    07-16-10 10:46 PM
    Are you running as administrator?
    Yes, I am the sole user on the system, so I am administrator by default.
    07-16-10 10:48 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD