I am trying to connect a BB Classic phone with Outlook 2003, via USB.
    It crashed every time I try to sync between the two.
    Does anybody know a solution to this?

I am quite disappointed, because the same task is working perfectly with Nokia, since years (automatically, in the background, extremely fast), but crashes with Blackberry, as follows:

First, it was awfully complicated to get "BB Link" working (it stopped in the middle of the install process). (Win 7)

After many articles read and various tries, it somehow worked to get it installed (cannot remember how, I was too tired in the middle of the night)

Then, when trying to sync with Outlook, it crashes systematically, with an out of memory error (see below). It seems that the ~1000 agenda entries from Outlook are too much for BB Link, but they are no trouble at all for Nokia PC Suite, or there is another cause! What I observed: with a test agenda in Outlook, that was very small (only a few names), the Outlook - BBLink sync worked wel.
    Here some details:

errorbucket, Type 0
    name: not available
    CAB-file-ID: 0
    signature:
    P1: BlackBerryLink.exe
    P2: 1.2.4.39
    P3: 55637b50
    P4: PresentationCore
    P5: 4.8.4110.0
    P6: 5de7141e
    P7: 2c23
    P8: 35
    P9: System.OutOfMemoryException

error app: BlackBerryLink.exe, Version: 1.2.4.39,
    error module: KERNELBASE.dll, Version: 6.1.7601.24545,
    exception code: 0xe0434352
    error offset: 0x0000c5af
    ID of error process: 0x57f4
    Path: C:\Program Files (x86)\Research In Motion\BlackBerry Link\BlackBerryLink.exe
    Path: C:\Windows\syswow64\KERNELBASE.dll
    Last edited by horia_m; 08-19-21 at 05:21 AM.
    08-19-21 04:11 AM
    In the meantime I discovered that one can use another software, which works flawlessly and is free: MyPhoneExplorer.
    I was surprised how simple it is to install it, and to configure it, so I could easily transfer contacts, agenda and notes between Outlook and the BB classic.
    I cannot understand why this is easier than the original software (BB Link) offered by Blackberry! A shame for BB Link!
    I should have spared a night of despair if I would have used MyPhoneExplorer from the beginning.
    08-20-21 05:27 AM
    Another discovery: the BB Link software (v 1.2.4.39) crashes anyway! (on win 7 SP2) Not only while trying to sync the BB device to the computer, but as long as it stays a while open.
    08-20-21 09:40 PM
    Another discovery: the BB Link software (v 1.2.4.39) crashes anyway! (on win 7 SP2) Not only while trying to sync the BB device to the computer, but as long as it stays a while open.
    Link was abandoned over 3 years ago.
    Laura Knotek and John Albert like this.
    08-20-21 09:51 PM
    Link was abandoned over 3 years ago.
    Indeed, but as long as one installs it on windows 7, there is no reason that it should not work as it did four years ago on the same windows 7 system, isn't it?
    08-21-21 05:42 AM
    Indeed, but as long as one installs it on windows 7, there is no reason that it should not work as it did four years ago on the same windows 7 system, isn't it?
    There must be some mess-up with your installation.
    08-21-21 11:47 AM
    @mikael11
    thanks, but I really just installed the software on win7 very "normally"... I tried it several times, it results with the same problems. I really don't know what the reason is...
    08-31-21 11:52 PM
    @mikael11
    thanks, but I really just installed the software on win7 very "normally"... I tried it several times, it results with the same problems. I really don't know what the reason is...
    I wouldn't say normal, when I read the difficulties you had with the install process! It shouldn't be like that. Link has many problems when you backup a phone, but I have for my own sake had no problems with installation. Should be smooth and without hazards. Do you use the latest version?

Posted via CB10
    horia_m likes this.
    09-01-21 12:03 AM
    Sure... if you have an only version of Windows 7 that hasn't been updated or patched past the point of BlackBerry ending LINKs updates.

But lot's of folks had issues with LINK being installed back then... conflicts with some drivers, conflicts with other programs. I've even gone so far as to done a clean install of Windows to try and get LINK working in the past (did work).

I'd uninstall LINK as well as BLEND and Drivers. Go through the Windows registry and delete anything BlackBerry related, reboot and setup LINK and BB Drivers using an Admin account.
    horia_m likes this.
    09-01-21 07:24 AM
    Link is working fine on my laptops with Win 10 and other machines with Win 7. It is extremely finicky to get working as you are, no doubt, finding out.

p.s. I am trying it on Windows 11 in a few minutes.
    horia_m likes this.
    09-01-21 11:13 AM
    Link is working fine on my laptops with Win 10 and other machines with Win 7. It is extremely finicky to get working as you are, no doubt, finding out.

Didn't put a lot of time into it... LINK / Blend / Drivers seems to install fine, but the app won't load. Tried in some different combability modes... (strange there isn't a Windows 10 compatibility mode).
    brookie229 and horia_m like this.
    09-01-21 11:32 AM
    Didn't put a lot of time into it... LINK / Blend / Drivers seems to install fine, but the app won't load. Tried in some different combability modes... (strange there isn't a Windows 10 compatibility mode).
    I've got it doing a backup of my Passport right now. Not sure if all functions work (restore etc) but it appears as though everything is ok. Easily done for me but I did install with a Win 7 compatibility. Did not try any others.
    horia_m likes this.
    09-01-21 12:22 PM

I have it on win 8, although installed at Win 7 and then made an OS upgrade - works just fine except for the usual stalling when trying to make a total backup.

Posted via CB10
    horia_m likes this.
    09-01-21 12:29 PM
    I have it on win 8, although installed at Win 7 and then made an OS upgrade - works just fine except for the usual stalling when trying to make a total backup.

Posted via CB10
    I just completed a backup of my Passport on Windows 11 on a 10 year old Dell laptop. Unlike many here I've never had problems with Link or Blend on any machine that I can recall.
    horia_m likes this.
    09-01-21 12:56 PM
    I just completed a backup of my Passport on Windows 11 on a 10 year old Dell laptop. Unlike many here I've never had problems with Link or Blend on any machine that I can recall.
    Nice!

Posted via CB10
    09-01-21 12:57 PM
    thanks for all your replies! Indeed, I am just experiencing how difficult it can be to make them work - the LINK and the phone usb drivers .
    In the meantime, I was able to make the usb drivers work - they didn't, until yesterday - but Link is crashing after a few minutes when I start it.
    At least I can now have access via usb to the phone, with other software.
    09-03-21 05:13 AM
    if anybody has a clue... This is the error message i get regularily from Link, a few minutes after it starts, in Win7!
    I wasn't able to find any relevant info or solutions in the web, for this error...

Problem signature:
    Problem name: CLR20r3
    Problem signature 01: BlackBerryLink.exe
    Problem signature 02: 1.2.4.39
    Problem signature 03: 55637b50
    Problem signature 04: mscorlib
    Problem signature 05: 4.8.4110.0
    Problem signature 06: 5de6d97a
    Problem signature 07: 393a
    Problem signature 08: 19
    Problem signature 09: System.OutOfMemoryException
    OS version Win 7: 6.1.7601.2.1.0.256.48
    Zone-ID: 1031
    additional info 1: 0a9e
    additional info 2: 0a9e372d3b4ad19135b953a78882e789
    additional info 3: 0a9e
    additional info 4: 0a9e372d3b4ad19135b953a78882e789
    09-03-21 06:35 AM
    In the meantime I discovered that the error (CLR20r3) is one that shows certain problems between windows and the LINK software. There are several articles on the web, showing how to solve the CLR20r3 error (that can appear generally). These articles are not specifical for the case of LINK. I am now trying to apply the solutions proposed in these articles, that mainly refer to the windows system and to the microsoft .NET framework.

here the article I am using:

How to Fix Clr20r3 Error on Windows 10/8/7
    May 14, 2020

https://www.winosbite.com/clr20r3-er...how-to-fix-it/

(excerpt:
    Clr20r3 Error is an error that arises when Windows is not able to read the settings and files in the same way in which they read them while uploading corresponding applications. Many users have a complaint that they are getting Clr20r3 error message while working with Visual Studio or .Net or Microsoft Exchange software.)
    09-03-21 07:05 AM
    In the meantime I discovered that the error (CLR20r3) is one that shows certain problems between windows and the LINK software. There are several articles on the web, showing how to solve the CLR20r3 error (that can appear generally). These articles are not specifical for the case of LINK. I am now trying to apply the solutions proposed in these articles, that mainly refer to the windows system and to the microsoft .NET framework.

here the article I am using:

How to Fix Clr20r3 Error on Windows 10/8/7
    May 14, 2020

https://www.winosbite.com/clr20r3-er...how-to-fix-it/

(excerpt:
    Clr20r3 Error is an error that arises when Windows is not able to read the settings and files in the same way in which they read them while uploading corresponding applications. Many users have a complaint that they are getting Clr20r3 error message while working with Visual Studio or .Net or Microsoft Exchange software.)
    Let us know how it goes....

I can only suggest that you uninstall LINK, remove all Registry Entries for "BlackBerry", reboot, make sure Windows is up to date. Go download the LINK/BLEND/DRIVERS installation again, then run it as an Administrator.
    09-03-21 08:08 AM
    Sorry to dig out this old thread, but this is the first time I read that MyPhoneExplorer (MPE) works with BB10 phones.

In the meantime I discovered that one can use another software, which works flawlessly and is free: MyPhoneExplorer.
    I was surprised how simple it is to install it, and to configure it, so I could easily transfer contacts, agenda and notes between Outlook and the BB classic.
    I cannot understand why this is easier than the original software (BB Link) offered by Blackberry! A shame for BB Link!
    I should have spared a night of despair if I would have used MyPhoneExplorer from the beginning.
    To my knowledge, MPE has only ever been advertised for Android phones (and old Sony Ericsson phones, with which I had been using it fo years). I couldn't find any information on the MPE forum about BB10, either.

So I tried it with my Classic and it did not recognize the phone. How can it possibly be made to work with a BB10 phone?
    01-13-22 01:32 PM
    Sorry to dig out this old thread, but this is the first time I read that MyPhoneExplorer (MPE) works with BB10 phones.

To my knowledge, MPE has only ever been advertised for Android phones (and old Sony Ericsson phones, with which I had been using it fo years). I couldn't find any information on the MPE forum about BB10, either.

So I tried it with my Classic and it did not recognize the phone. How can it possibly be made to work with a BB10 phone?
    Well, I am using an MPE with a BlackBerry Classic phone and it works well. I use it to sync outlook with the phone over the WiFi network. It does not sync or archive other things, but it syncs well the contacts. I think it is an android app, and on the computer it is also a plugin installed in outlook and a software part for windows...

Posted via CB10
    01-13-22 02:17 PM

You'd have the ask the one person that claimed it did... what OS was their phone on, what version of MPE were they using, was LINK also running in the background?

I know years ago the VZW sale rep offered to copy everything from my daughters old phone to a Z10 using their transfer software... and it wouldn't work. For security you really need some type of handshake or authorization - that's what BBID did.
    01-13-22 02:25 PM
    Well, I am using an MPE with a BlackBerry Classic phone and it works well. I use it to sync outlook with the phone over the WiFi network. It does not sync or archive other things, but it syncs well the contacts. I think it is an android app, and on the computer it is also a plugin installed in outlook and a software part for windows...

Posted via CB10
    Okay, now I think I understand what you're doing. MPE does support Android phones. It seems like the (Android) app on the Classic is able to access and sync the contacts via MPE. In the past, I had used MPE to sync Outlook with my Sony Ericsson phones. Worked fine (inside the limitations of the featurephones). If MPE can work through the Android runtime on BB10 (which I was surprised of, considering it needs the equivalent of developer mode/ADB debug/something on Android), I see not reason why that would't work.

Thanks for the hint. Nice to have another option.
    horia_m likes this.
    01-13-22 03:06 PM