Allegedly, Blackberry is doing in-house Beta testing of Mac software that will fully support Mac synching via iSync. According to one of their technoweenies, this will finally free BB-owning Macophiles to easily synch via Bluetooth. Thus, users will be able to avoid the pitfalls of the USB crunch -- USB ties up precious port space, especially when a device demands a dedicated port and won't play well with the other devices sharing a hub....

Blackberry can't/won't say when they anticipate this wonder software will come available (next week, next month, next year?).

Perhaps someone here has some inside info on the software? Does anyone Have any inkling on the veracity of BB's claims or an idea of a release date?

Thanx...
    macophile
    05-10-08 06:42 AM
    Having just acquired a MacBook Pro, I am pleased with this news, and will promptly install this software when available.
    05-10-08 12:19 PM
    Me three. I'm using PockteMac right now, but it seems to hang - or at least sit forever with no progress when I try to sync to iCal, so right now, I'm just happy that it at least transferred my contacts over.
    Better Mac support would be a big plus.
    05-10-08 01:41 PM
    Someone I know who works for VZW told me RIM is looking to release the Desktop Manager (in whatever form it looks like) in Q4.....I sure hope this is the case *fingers crossed*
    05-11-08 01:30 AM
    This doesn't effect me at the moment, but I do want to purchase a macbook pro in the near future and this is/would be a drawback and if RIM would make this available that would be great!

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    05-11-08 02:08 AM
    great news for me, as a Mac Network Admin (yes, the exist) and new owner of the Curve 8330, i'm stoked!
    05-11-08 01:05 PM
    Maybe they'll mention it at WES this week. If they're serious about competing with iPhone, RIM needs to be on top of the growing Mac community.
    05-11-08 04:00 PM
    Maybe they'll mention it at WES this week. If they're serious about competing with iPhone, RIM needs to be on top of the growing Mac community.
    Please let us know one way or the other, OK?

Unbelievably, when RIM told me of the Beta test (but refused to indicate or speculate on when, if ever, they planned or hoped to release it to the public) I was informed they "didn't realize there were so many Mac users" and the Mac "must have suddenly increased in popularity recently" to explain their lack of REAL Mac support for virtually all the time they've been in business.

I find that sort of response to be disingenuous for the simple reason, it is always obvious when some computing device is named for FRUIT, that the company is interested in trading on the cachet of Apple. Since the BB is a small, handheld computing device compared to a desktop or notebook, a fruit much smaller than an Apple was selected -- hence, Blackberry....

Bottom line, BB is behind the times and REALLY needs to catch-up, iPhone or not, if they want to remain a dominant force in their niche market. And a lot more foresight would be a given. After all, Apple always seems to not just be ahead of the curve -- they also set the standards in all they pursue: them Apples are ALWAYS Golden!

macophile
    Go ahead... Mac my day!!!
    2+ decades of Mac experience...
    Last edited by macophile; 05-11-08 at 04:47 PM. Reason: punctuation
    05-11-08 04:45 PM
    I agree that's why I am really thinking of getting an iphone when version 2 becomes available. I love blackberry and have used one for many years now but its really starting to show its age.I mean come on, the browser on the BB is horrible!!!!

05-11-08 07:54 PM
    Question,what exactly is it that you can't do with your mac & bb that you could with a pc?
    05-12-08 06:06 PM
    Wipe, load apps, OS upgrades, redirect, sure I've missed others...
    Question,what exactly is it that you can't do with your mac & bb that you could with a pc?
    05-13-08 12:30 PM
    Thank goodness because I have had my BBerry for about three months and have had no end of complications syncing it to my Mac - especially the calendars. I've tried Entourage, iCal, I've tried PocketMac and MissingSync and they work for awhile and then stop working, sending my schedules into chaos. If anyone knows solutions to this please let me know?

It's like Blackberry wants Mac users to switch to iPhone! I have resisted because I prefer the BB keyboard but I have to say at this point I'm so frustrated I'm about to jump ship.
    05-14-08 12:45 PM
    Me three. I'm using PockteMac right now, but it seems to hang - or at least sit forever with no progress when I try to sync to iCal, so right now, I'm just happy that it at least transferred my contacts over.
    Better Mac support would be a big plus.
    Have you tried Missing Sync? I was told it was better for working with iCal but I've had a lot of problems with it too.
    05-14-08 12:47 PM
    I Hope they do this as well, I hate using a different computer to upgrade OS, and load themes/games etc
    05-14-08 12:56 PM
    You can load apps it's under utilities
    05-14-08 01:43 PM
    SYNC! or anything at the moment...

I use an 8120....
    05-18-08 03:52 AM
    I've been hearing rumors since last year about RIM coming out with Mac software. Meanwhile, I can't update my Pearl's OS - my provider told me I had to find someone with a PC - they won't even do it for me at their tech support centers. What - I should pay for Vista just so I can keep my phone updated enough to use it as it is made to be used? I'm keeping my fingers crossed that RIM is really close with that Mac software....
    05-28-08 09:04 PM
    I am an avid mac user and I do hope this is real and not just another rumor.

05-28-08 10:59 PM
    PocketMac has been working ok for me, giving the fact I can't sync Entourage 08. But messing with settings I have been able to get most of the info from all my programs to my BB. This new software would be a nice plus to Mac/BB users if it comes out.
    05-29-08 12:12 AM
    WOW if you read these post RIM this is very badly needed. Please hurry as there are soooo many Macs out there that need to be synced with BB's.
    05-29-08 12:33 AM
    Umm, back-up, restore...
    05-29-08 01:50 PM
    Good news. Thank you.
    05-29-08 03:49 PM
    I am not holding my breath, but I will be elated when it finally gets released. It would be about time!!

This would actually be a really good way to help the Bold compete with the 2nd Gen iPhone coming out fairly soon... cough cough!
    06-06-08 03:33 PM
    Here's a lame workaround to sync either Entourage 08 or iCal to BB8830.
    1. Entourage 08 - Preferences - sync services - check the iCal box.
    2. Install BusySync and set it up to sync iCal with whichever Google calendar you want.
    3. Download Google Sync for Mobile on your Blackberry and tell it which google calendar you want to sync with.
    Having to do all this sucks but it is working... so far.
    06-06-08 08:48 PM
    yes! im buying a MacBook Pro very soon and will install this new software as soon as i get home!
    06-17-08 11:39 PM
45 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD